Thread: Wishful Thinking on the Welland

Default Wishful Thinking on the Welland

And there was me thinking it would be a nice gentle jaunt down the Nene when Hippo phones and claims 'there's plenty of water in the Welland' - 'yeah right' methinks but who am I to doubt a man of his calibration?

Well, to be fair, I did doubt him but he got me with 'I'm bringing bacon' - who cares if we spend an afternoon walking down an obscure lowland river if there's a bacon butty to be had?

Anyways, we started at Gretton which was positively pulsing with water

Over the course of a year we have paddled through and over the tree affectionately known as Big Bertha

A new tree down - Little Bertie - Hippo is probably sharpening his chainsaw as I type - don't much fancy this one in winter flood levels

It now starts to go decidedly downhill...

A few more reeds....why not?.....only mamby pampies need water to go canoeing

When you have to stand up and slash you know it's getting a bit dire

Occasionally so dire we walked/dragged.......to be fair the sun was out

When you did get a clear bit there was either more reeds at the far end

....or a weir

Without bothering to find a phone box, and without exterior underpants, Hippo transmogrifies into his alter ego.....Silly Beggar....flushed with the success of his various lock re-entry rope systems he applies advanced beggaring-about techniques to descend (backwards) a 2' drop over a weir using only a rope, a bridge and the promise of immortality in a SotP blogg

You wouldn't catch me beggaring about like that.....I sensibly got out on the weir edge, stepped down and...........went up to my arm pits in the old wheel pit - forgot there used to be a mill here!......fortunately Hippo was too busy laughing to capture for posterity.....dried out a bit in the lovely sunshine anyway

Plenty of water......enough to get your feet wet anyway at weir #2

By now I'm demanding bacon.............note the volume of water cascading down weir #3

As 2 litres of the Welland's finest water is filtered for tea, Hippo sets about the promised bacon

After lunch it was really all about the largest man made structure in these parts - the rather stunning Harringworth/Seaton railway viaduct

The reeds managed to have the last word

But I'm going to have the last photo - taken as we dropped off the shuttle car.....Seaton church through the arches and the old Seaton railway station building lower to its left.........so lucky to have all this on our doorsteps.........and, of course, such a plentiful supply of water!

Regards to you all, Dick
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Cracking blog. Really enjoyed that.
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Well done. I'm not so sure about the concept of canoeing without water though.

Speaking of water, what kind of filter are you using?
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Speaking of water, what kind of filter are you using?
    It's a Platypus system......have used for over a decade on paddling and motorbike trips.....simple and effective.....you can come back from a trek to a water source with 4l of water....2 filtered and 2 ready to filter.....can’t think of anything negative to say about it......packs up small too.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Awesome adventuring again.

I was thinking, why on earth is the Hippo abseiling down a small weir? Then your follow up explained it perfectly!

Weirs two and three look like excellent rapids if you happen to be the size of an Action Man with a similarly sized canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Awesome adventuring again.

I was thinking, why on earth is the Hippo abseiling down a small weir? Then your follow up explained it perfectly!

Weirs two and three look like excellent rapids if you happen to be the size of an Action Man with a similarly sized canoe.
    You're right Mal - completely uncalled for use of the rope. Seeing how long I can keep my feet dry is just a little side bet I enjoy (boosted enormously by Dick going under!) I must also admit that it's about doing things when it's easy so you don't have to think too long and hard when it's not; a bit like having a beer when you don't really need one.

Excellent account as always. Next thing will be Hippo “slack line” walking over the reeds.
    Harringworth used to have a decent pub if I recall correctly .... White Swan I think.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Dear Men Behaving Quite Badly,
    Having now just read about your recent adventures above, I would now like to ask you both if there is any scope for a potential group 'improvised' camp-out anywhere near that stunning railway viaduct with Burns' Night now raising it's noncie face once agin!

Come hell or high, or even nay watter!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    any scope for a potential group 'improvised' camp-out anywhere near that stunning railway viaduct with Burns' Night now raising it's noncie face once agin!
    I can’t think of anywhere discrete enough within view of the viaduct Mark.....much of it is rented out to horse folk....but I will knock on a few doors and ask.

Peartree Island on the Nene is available.

The most impressive bit of this blogg may have been finding a big enough bit of water to end up, up to your armpits in
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Patterdale Paddler View Post
    ...much of it is rented out to horse folk....but I will knock on a few doors and ask.

Peartree Island on the Nene is available.
    Dick,
    Tell 'em we can 'pay in hay'.... and we're happy to muck-out the yard/s afore we go! .....

On a serious note, still loving that scenery above,...whilst now digging out my Friends of the River Nene Membership and hoping that it's still in date!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>