Thread: Positioning a middle seat

Default Positioning a middle seat

I want to add a third (middle) seat to my Peace River Cruiser for solo paddling.
    Not sure about where to position it for trim.

Any suggestions about how to calculate this are welcome.

Hello and Welcome!

Are you intending to keep the carrying yoke?

If so, well you'd want to be behind it, as close to it as you are comfortable with whilst still being able to get in and out easily and safely. Maybe 18' to the front edge of the seat. This will leave you bow light, but not by a huge amount so you should be able to trim with your bag.

If you're taking out the yoke, you can go closer to the middle. I'd go just behind it.

For what its worth, the PCR isn't the easiest boat to handle solo. OK in a straight line, but not entirely manoeuvrable!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

The yoke broke years ago, so that isn't a factor (it is a bit of a beast to carry solo, over 70lb).

I've mostly paddled the boat solo - or with a 'cargo'. Said cargo varying from sacks of coal to 4 children (or a fridge). A few weeks back I brought it back up from where it has been languishing a garden (lent to a friend for when her house was flooded), to a boat mooring. About 12km to paddle.

I'm used to paddling racing K1s; compared to them, the PRC is easy to turn.

I would suggest closer to the middle than 18" (certainly closer than 18' Mal ). I normally go with about 14" or maybe 12". You can adjust the trim with your load but it must be better to assume you will not.

Different boats are more or less susceptible to positioning affecting trim. Fine ends can bury easily if you move to far from the centre.

I’d suggest it depends how long your legs are. I use a kneeling thwart, with no yoke, and my knees are in the centre under where the yoke would’ve been. That way I can shift my weight forward and back easily and effectively.

Mike

Brill, thanks

I'll do some measuring this weekend and plan out a seat. Footrests would be nice, too, but that might be going a bit too far.

Stability is not exactly a problem with this canoe, so I think a highish seat will be better for reach and power.

The usual recommendation is the front edge of the middle seat be 14 inches back from the centre. This should give you almost neutral trim with kneeling or legs out in front (but not with knees high up under your chin).

Similar to other replies, but also from the book "Canoeing", by the American National Red Cross.

The 18 - 20ft canoe is optimised for several solo positions. The 14" back from centre is achieved with the canoe paddled stern first.

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Stability is not exactly a problem with this canoe
    In your case, you might consider pulling in the gunwales a bit to reduce the beam, although since the PRC his minimal rocker, it might go negative. It might also help to stop the bottom arching up in the centre, which the PRC's I've seen tend to do. I've just thought: when you say the yoke broke, in the context it not being in the way, without a yoke/thwart the gunwales will have spread, so it may currently be wider than normal. To control the beam without a central thwart that would obstruct your centre seat, you could put a couple, one each side of the centre.

Mine are 14" back, but the two key requirements are being able to sit with feet out in front, (no matter whether you kneel or not, you may, through cramp or injury, be unable to kneel) and the need get out from kneeling, which is slightly dependant on how long your lower legs and how big your feet are.

Impcanoe

Mount two longitudinal aluminum pipes between two thwart, approximately one meter apart. There you can make a adjustable seat. Then you have to find a way to lock the seat when carrying the canoe.
    See picture on canoe C1-52 http://www.sf-canoe.se/sv/kanot/bilder/kanoter/

Svante
    Last edited by sf-canoe; 14th-November-2018 at 07:00 AM.