Thread: Hello Paddlers

Default Hello Paddlers

Hello paddlers,

I'm Dave, the wrong side of 50 and working too many hours, keeping the machinery going in a busy factory.
    Long time motorcyclist and occasional flyer (microlights and paragliders)
    Taking to the water because the roads are becoming too dangerous with all the nutters on race replica bikes
    who think they're Valentino Marquez! and flying is getting too expensive.

I started paddling last year with a Sevylor Hudson inflatable, wide stable and good fun but a bit of a barge to paddle solo.
    Also a pain to dry out before putting it away.
    I learned to paddle properly on the Thames this summer with My local canoe club, using their boats.
    (Thanks to them for all their help and patience)
    I recently got My first "proper" boat, an ex-hire Venture Prospector in Corelite X construction.
    I also bought a shiny new kayak that day but I guess this isn't the place to talk about that!
    Really enjoying the Prospector and getting out on the water as much as I can, but working 6 days a week limits My playtime.
    The overtime does pay for My toys though.

Hello and Welcome!

Some lovely bits of the Thames up there, especially upstream of Oxford. Next step a bit of canoe camping using the lock camps like Rushey, Shifford, Pink Hill and Eynsham?? You're perfectly located for that, lovely peaceful camps away from the roads (except Eynsham which is by one but still nice).
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Welcome Dave

Welcome indeed!
    Are there that many people on bikes? I don't see that many up north...then again you need to be committed considering the weather. You're hardy bikers in the UK.

Down here in the Cotswolds there are hundreds of them, to be fair most are quite sensible, people enjoying their hobby just like we do.
    Unfortunately Joe public don't notice them, it's just the few riding like idiots and giving the rest a bad name that they remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Hello and Welcome!

Some lovely bits of the Thames up there, especially upstream of Oxford. Next step a bit of canoe camping using the lock camps like Rushey, Shifford, Pink Hill and Eynsham?? You're perfectly located for that, lovely peaceful camps away from the roads (except Eynsham which is by one but still nice).

Thanks Mal Grey and others for the welcome, some canoe camping trips for sure next year. I've done a fair bit of tent camping on the motorbike so I already have the gear.
    I camped at Bridge House Camp Site in Lechlade with friends from the BMW motorbike club in June and there were 3 people in a canoe paddling from source to sea, raising money for some worthy cause. Not sure how far from the source they started as the river was very low.
    They had capsized on the first day and all their gear went in the river, tent, sleeping bags, clothes, everything!
    The camp site looked a bit like a refugee camp with everything hung out to dry.
    Before setting out on day 2 they went out and bought some dry bags!

Welcome Dave and best wishes for your prospecting of possible paddling places ... I'm sure you'll get help on here.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read