Thread: I I wit 3 or Adventure Plus

Default I I wit 3 or Adventure Plus

Hello all,

I'm in need of a 3 man inflatable kayak. I have been looking at the above two models. Does anyone have experience of them and which would be your preference?

It has to be inflatable due to the fact that I donít drive and have little storage space. I need three seats for myself and two kids (12 & 7). It will be mostly used on lochs possible for going camping for a maximum of two nights at a time. Eventually Iíd like to take my spaniel with us on trips. Do the above models have enough space for kids, gear and dog? Iím only 5í8Ē so not very tall.

thanks in advance,

Mark

A lot of this will come down to personal preference for how much space is enough as well as whether you see yourselves still doing this in 5, 6 years (kids have a nasty habit of growing, I've found!). The Itiwit is 3.8m long (about the length limit for a low pressure 1.5psi 'bladder' boat) so that doesn't give you an awful lot of room to stretch out and to avoid whacking the head of the person in front of you with your paddle. I have a 3.9m Gumotex Sunny that has more room in it by the looks of it and while that's really roomy for two 5'10ish adults, it wouldn't be fantastic to put another person in the middle. Doable, but starting to feel cramped.

Decathlon stores (and Go Outdoors for Sevylors) do quite often have their boats inflated, so there might be the opportunity to go and sit in one to really get the feel of it. Alternatively, I'm sure that with a bit of rudimentary maths you can take measurements of where each seating position would be, put cushions on the floor at home and see how it feels. I've also found it helpful to watch youtube vids to see exactly how people are able to sit and the accommodations they need to make to not hit one another. By comparison, the more expensive Gumotex Solar 3 is 4.1m, giving you an extra foot of space over the Itiwit

Problem is, longer boats are quite a bit more expensive (Solar 3 is £700), so unless you find one secondhand (unlikely) you may just have to go with what your budget allows and make it work for you

Thank you for your answer it’s given me a couple of things to think about.

Unfortunately these two are at the max of my budget. I had two 2 man inflatables for myself, wife (soon to be ex), son and daughter.

The wife becoming the ex is the reason I need a three man inflatable so I can continue having fun with the kids. It would be great to take some camping gear because with the wife it was either go camping or paddling. She never wanted to mix the two.

Thanks,

Mark

I used to own the Adventure Plus. The seats are awful and uncomfortable, they offer no back support. They have three seats but are really only suitable for two plus a small child. I could never get comfortable in mine, always had back ache unless I was kneeling, so I sold it and bought an Old Town Camper canoe.

The other issue was my boot got soaked when going home, water gets inside the tubes and then leaks out in your car.

Friends of mine have an Adventure PLus, and I'd echo Grey Owl Paddler's comment above, and also that it is even slower than other inflatables.

Of the two, though I've no experience of the Itiwit's quality, I think the design will be better.

However, unfortunately I doubt you're going to have very much space in any inflatable for 3 plus gear in all but the warmest weather. A different alternative, depending on where you live, might be to join a club. Usually, membership includes use of borrowed club canoes, which should allow you access to a "proper" 3 person open canoe for trips, and also allow you to link up with others, and learn important technique and safety stuff too.

Thanks again for the additional input. I prefer the look of the Adventure Plus but the Itiwit 3 seams to me to have better features, I really like the backpack for transportation.

I’ve read of a lot of people saying that the nylon covered inflatables are very hard to dry properly.

Also all my research has pretty much came up with the same answer, there’s just not enough space in one inflatable for my kids, myself, the dog and camping gear. I’ll be ok for a wee paddle out but not for a trip. I could solve this by using one of the two man inflatables the kids already have and just tow that with gear for longer/over night trips but was trying to keep things to a minimum because I don’t have a car to transport everything as I only hold a motorcycle license. Never really needed any other license because the now to be ex wife drives.

Thanks,

mark

Although I've no experience of paddling with family, I spent some years trying boat-in-a-bag options for a no-car paddler. I can tell you that a 12kg inflatable (or a 15kg folding kayak) sounds light, but when you add the weight of the bag, pump for inflatable, paddle and BA, you have a real load if you want to carry it. A change of clothes and shoes adds to it. You can put the lot on a trolley, but that's more weight when you have to lift it all on and off trains, or up and down station stairs. I'm sure you are stronger than me (a middle-aged female) but you have kit for the kids as an extra burden. And I haven't even considered adding camping gear.

Eventually I found boathouse space for my folding kayak, and mainly kept it assembled there. That, or Mal's suggestion of finding a club with boats you can use, might be worth looking into.
    Not in Oxford any more...

MarynolongerinOxford,

yes quite it’s a bit of weight involved. I’m just wondering how much including kayak will fit in my 120 litre rucksack I use for camping. The more I think about it the more restrictive everything seems to get. I suppose in the middle of summer I could go with tarps and sleeping bags but it’s the bags that take the space and add to the weight as my tents are negligible in comparison.

Mark

Ok so I’ve went for the Itiwit 3. Seemed to have the best features of the two I was looking at. Some decathlon shops are selling the Sevylor Hudson for £199 unfortunately none of the Scottish shops are. Roll on spring to get a full run down of the new kayak. Can’t wait to get out with the kids.

Mark

Great, I hope you enjoy it. I've seen the Itiwit inflated in Decathalon and it does look good.

Congratulations on your new canoe! Bet you don't wait till spring for a solo trip at least!

Grey owl, thanks. Mal grey, you could be right.

does look as if I can have years of fun in it even going solo camps and I canít wait to have more adventures with the kids. Theyíll be so happy weíll still be able to paddle together again. Iím fortunate that Iím 10mins on a bus or two train stops from one of Scotlandís most beautiful lochs with plenty of islands to explore.

Roll on on next year.

Mark