Thread: Canadian Tarka Canoe

Post Canadian Tarka Canoe

Evening to all,

I'm having a look on eBay for a canoe and I haven't got masses on funding for a boat(500 max), I am looking for something that will get me into the water, simple to handle both on and off whilst using it, I am a paddle coach so have some knowledge but not a lot so am asking for advice from the community here on what us best.

Please can people have a look at the listing below and let me know thoughts if the craft is worthy. But alternatively if there is something that people are selling or have seen online that's round the Surrey area or no more that an hour's ish drive I'm happy to grab advice on these things.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163354676571

Many thanks to all that have a look and throw out suggestions

I can't see what it is made from so I would check on this. I'd want to know how heavy it is as it could be a little awkward to move around.

TBH, there are so many things that I don't like about this canoe that I might not give a fair assessment.

there are so many things that I don't like about this canoe
    I have to agree with this statement, although I couldn't really say why.
    However, I know that the canoe is made from fibreglass, but I cannot remember what the weight is. The wooden gunnels are routered one piece affairs, which is something I don't care for, but there's no reason they couldn't be replaced with something different down the line.
    I wouldn't want to pay much more than the price it's currently at as they weren't that expensive when new, and calling a 14' 6" a 3 person canoe is stretching credibility a bit far.

These are personal views though and if you think it will do the job you want it to, then you have a choice to make. I do think though, that if you're not in a hurry to get a canoe, something will come along within your 500 budget that will serve you better.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Hello Caneage. It's hard to find much info on Tarka canoes but apparently the boat is made of plastic and has plastic seats. I'd be concerned about basic stiffness and durability...it would likely be significantly less durable than canoes of normal construction. I wonder if the sides of the boat would deform if you sat on the seat. You would have to look at it and hopefully test paddle it.

I wish I could do a better job of helping you shop but I'm not in the UK. I did see one nice looking boat on eBay that is somewhere in the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canadian-...QAAOSwcABb1nF0

I keep thinking that somehow we need to figure out how to get organized and rent a shipping container and fill it up with used canoes from the US and send it over there. I think some of the canoe folks in the US would be happy to help find and gather good used canoes for other paddlers.

Agree with the posts above. Too small for a true 3 person canoe, but would probably handle 2 adults and a small child. It is a basic canoe, and as such, will be heavy and hard to handle off the water. However, it looks pretty well cared for, and if you don't need to regularly carry it or lift it onto the car, it might be OK as a general knock-about canoe.

From images and the odd old advert, I think Tarka are normally glass fibre canoes.

This one is marginally over you budget but would be a better bet i think (or the apache looks nice too)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hou-Canoe...temCondition=4

If you only intend paddling simple rivers/lakes without real rapids then the canoe will do. I wouldn't want to pay a lot more than that though.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

This may be a better option.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hou-Canoe-Prospector-/202461564040
    You could try offering a bit less than the asking price.

Doug

When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

I read this last night and didn't comment because the boat will be suitable for some people, then I read your opening post again and realised that it probably won't suit you:

Quote Originally Posted by Caneage View Post
    simple to handle both on and off whilst using it, I am a paddle coach so have some knowledge but not a lot so am asking for advice from the community here on what us best.
    As a paddle coach you should probably be able to recognise that those strips on the bottom of the canoe (keel and rubbing strakes each side) will help make it track in a straight line. You will probably also understand that whilst this can seem useful to a complete beginner who has not learned to steer with a single blade paddle yet, it will make it less manoeuvrable and in particular if you are looking to learn/improve your solo canoe skills for coaching purposes, it will undoubtedly hold you back. You will be able to make it go straight without developing a decent J stroke, also it will not respond to any subtle compound strokes that you would be looking to develop. I think something a bit more responsive would be more suitable for you.

How hard can it be?