Thread: Which roof rack for Skoda 2015 Octavia

Default Which roof rack for Skoda 2015 Octavia

To take Apache Canoe?

If you visit roofbox.co.uk there's a 'select your vehicle' type menu to tell you the stuff they've got that fits your car. I've ordered from them several times and the service has been good. Most recently I bought Whispbar's from them which are the quietest bars I've ever used, but at a price.

And the bars seemed to fit my new Apache OK as well
    David

--
    Life is short and responsibility overrated - John Gierach

I had Thule ones on my Octavia but I'm sure almost any will be fine so long as you don't go super cheap and nasty.

An Apache isn't that heavy and most, if not all roof bars should be weight rated high enough to carry it. However, the story isn't all about canoe weights, it's also about the wind forces exerted on the boat and the roof bars when carrying it, especially at speed. So for that reason I'd recommend getting a decent set of bars - not necessarily the most expensive, but certainly not cheap and cheerful ones.
    You don't state whether your car is an estate or a saloon. If it's an estate and you fancy using Thule bars, I have a foot pack for sale that will fit your vehicle, you would just have to buy the Thule bars that you fancy. Thule kit is generally considered to be the best for cars.

Foot pack advertised here; http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...le-757-and-753

If you live anywhere near Somerset, I also have a set of Lidl roof bars that I used to use on my old 2010 Octavia estate which you could try. I don't know what, if anything altered between the 2010 model and yours.
    If you have a saloon, then I can't help I'm afraid.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    An Apache isn't that heavy and most, if not all roof bars should be weight rated high enough to carry it. However, the story isn't all about canoe weights, it's also about the wind forces exerted on the boat and the roof bars when carrying it, especially at speed. So for that reason I'd recommend getting a decent set of bars - not necessarily the most expensive, but certainly not cheap and cheerful ones.
    You don't state whether your car is an estate or a saloon. If it's an estate and you fancy using Thule bars, I have a foot pack for sale that will fit your vehicle, you would just have to buy the Thule bars that you fancy. Thule kit is generally considered to be the best for cars.

Foot pack advertised here; http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...le-757-and-753

If you live anywhere near Somerset, I also have a set of Lidl roof bars that I used to use on my old 2010 Octavia estate which you could try. I don't know what, if anything altered between the 2010 model and yours.
    If you have a saloon, then I can't help I'm afraid.
    I believe, but am not 100% sure, that they will fit both models of estate. The later model has slightly thinner roof rails, but only slightly.

Personally, I've always found Thule worth the money. They are completely reliable, easy to fit, and last for more than the life of most of my cars. Aero bars are worth the extra for me, though the rubber strips do wear out and are a little pricey to replace (so I haven't!).

The Whispbar rubber strip is integral and simply pushes 'down' into the channel so should last pretty well. The bars are not silent, but they're quieter than the Thule Aero bars I've also used (I've not used the current Thule WingBar which appear to be designed in a similar way to the Yakima Whispbar). It's even possible to drive with the sunroof open and the bars on without being irritated with an incessant whistling noise ... the same cannot be said when there's a canoe strapped on as well
    David

--
    Life is short and responsibility overrated - John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    The Whispbar rubber strip is integral and simply pushes 'down' into the channel so should last pretty well. The bars are not silent, but they're quieter than the Thule Aero bars I've also used (I've not used the current Thule WingBar which appear to be designed in a similar way to the Yakima Whispbar). It's even possible to drive with the sunroof open and the bars on without being irritated with an incessant whistling noise ... the same cannot be said when there's a canoe strapped on as well

Thule wing bars are fine and for the most part are very quiet. I do notice a bit of wind rush noise on occasion if the wind is strong and/or blowing in the wrong direction.
    If any decent bars are whistling, then either they or the component parts that come with them are fitted incorrectly - or missing altogether, which was something I experienced once when a dealer fitted the bars for me.
    If you have whistling when the canoe is loaded, it's the canoe or the straps that are the cause, not the bars.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I use a Handirack on a Skoda Rapid Spaceback (!) with a full length glass roof. It carries a 27kg wooden canoe without any problems whatsoever.