Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monnow January

Hi all

Had a message from James. Unfortunately, due to family circumstances, he won't be able to make it. This does mean one space has now opened up.

Before I book the Old Pandy, which was his idea, just wanted to check if that was still the preferred option, or whether folk would rather be in a Monmouth B&B (where Garth and Peter will be so we could have a meal together). It will obviously cost more than the bunkhouse.

I'm away until 2nd now.

Nantcoly solo
    Mrs Nantcoly solo
    Impcanoe Peter
    Mal
    Sue T
    Water Nomad, solo
    Lee, solo
    GarthT
    Jarvimus
    (spare)

I'll go with the flow.

I'm happy either way. Old Pandy or finding somewhere else.

I e-mailed the pub a few days ago with the revised number, but have had nothing back yet. WIll try phoning them, prob tomorrow, otherwise might have to revisit B&B options!

OK, good news. The Old Pandy Inn are fine, so I've booked Sue, Lee and myself in for the Saturday night. No deposit or anything, don't think they'e busy!!

Now time to start obsessively watching weather and levels . Obviously very low at the moment, is it runnable at this level or do we need to start the rain dance?

Levels a little low but ok at present and appear to be stable.

Thanks for that Mal. I'll be bringing my old boat so don't mind if it's a bit scrapey 😦

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    OK, good news. The Old Pandy Inn are fine, so I've booked Sue, Lee and myself in for the Saturday night. No deposit or anything, don't think they'e busy!!

Now time to start obsessively watching weather and levels . Obviously very low at the moment, is it runnable at this level or do we need to start the rain dance?

Thanks Mal.
    I can take us into monmouth saturday evening if people are wanting to meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by nantcoly View Post
    Levels a little low but ok at present and appear to be stable.
    Good to hear, don't mind the odd scrape, it adds to the line finding fun, but if it becomes an all day walk, maybe not!

Quote Originally Posted by Sue T View Post
    Thanks for that Mal. I'll be bringing my old boat so don't mind if it's a bit scrapey ��
    Likewise, did think about the folder (which is great on easy moving stuff), but not gonna risk it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Thanks Mal.
    I can take us into monmouth saturday evening if people are wanting to meet up.
    Thanks, lets play it by ear. Pub does decent food I believe, so could either do separate things, all go to Monmouth, or all go to Pandy. Its actually a fair way between the two.

What time are we meeting on Saturday? Not too early I hope as some of us have a fairly long drive.

Garth

Nantcoley has no internet connection at the moment, and not a very good phone connection today but I have spoken to him this morning. He thinks it is low but doable, and feels a 10.00 meet is needed to give a fair chance of finishing in daylight.

Impcanoe

All good for me.

Dear All
    As impcanoe says no internet connection since 16th December (don't use Now tv) but all up for it this weekend usual meeting place 10.00am Saturday.

See you all Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by nantcoly View Post
    Dear All
    As impcanoe says no internet connection since 16th December (don't use Now tv) but all up for it this weekend usual meeting place 10.00am Saturday.
    Can someone please confirm exactly where "the usual meeting place" is please?
    Then I'll be there 10am Sat

PS Ok thanks, found it earlier in thread.
    Last edited by Sue T; 10th-January-2019 at 09:31 PM.

When you have found the layby, which is lower than the road and on the outside of a bend, and on the Welsh side of the road, the next move is to get the boats over the gate. The put in is across the field by the railway bridge.

Thanks. Will bring trolley then!

Here: http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints.php?PP=1138

Trolley probably not needed, plenty of us to drag canoes across the rough grass.

Apologies all for the short notice but I'm going to have to miss this paddle.
    ----------------------

I suspect I may be a figment of my own imagination.

I won't be with you either. Struck down by continuous coughing last night, unreasonable to expect a cure by 6 tomorrow. Very disappointed, hope you have a good day.

Peter Impcanoe

Sorry Peter, you can't make it. If anyone is interested there is a spare room at the Monmouth B&B. It's very reasonable, around 35 if I remember rightly including a good breakfast. Let me know if you would like to take this up.

Garth

Sounds good Garth, but have arranged the Old Pandy Inn now for 3 of us. You'd be welcome to join us for dinner at least, wherever we decide.

See you all in the mornin'

On the Grand Union Canal, near Milton Keynes

Hi Everyone. The good news is that at the moment the gate to the field at the put in is open, that will make things easier. I thought I would try and make it for 9 to save me rushing, the thing is that I got to the lay by for 9pm this evening. At least I can now have lie in tomorrow morning, after my 4am start today.
    Mal I might join you and the others over at Pandy Saturday evening for a drink or two.
    See you all soon, John

Excellent weekend paddling, low levels but that just added to interest and entertainment. Thanks all!

Lovely weekend. Thanks to all but especially Paul for organising it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12