Thread: A Sunny Self Shuttle on the Nene

Default A Sunny Self Shuttle on the Nene

With Hippo confined to his enclosure by the vet and with Mrs Patterdale opting to stay put to stop the latest rescue mutt from eating house and home I was on my own this afternoon......launched at Upper Barnwell lock

Slipping down a dry weir into the outer backwater - that's the one that isn't an official canoe route

I always love the peace and feeling of being away from everything down here

Well maybe not a rapid but a slight hastening anyway

One of the several old bridges dotted about Oundle - map follows to give some idea of where we are

Back on the main river - for November it was rather warm today

It's that time of year when the EA's program of winter works kicks into gear - the guys are pretty good and will let boats through right up until the scaffolding around the guillotine is finished - this one at Ashton is shut until Christmas Eve

As with most Nene locks there's generally a weir to be shot somewhere but it's not this one just upstream

You need to paddle down past the latest Friends of the River Nene mooring at Ashton Carr

And after a spot of lunch slip down this weir - not the far fish ladder bit and not in high water as it gets mighty confused

Next stop is Cotterstock lock - I've never seen an 'emergency portage point' sign on the river before - but I'll find out - not sure how you know it's an emergency or have I missed something?

The lock itself looked quite benign - the non-emergency portage point being down the cut on the left

I had a quick nose down the cut despite it being a dead end at the mill - me, jealous? nope!

Returning to the portage point you need to head down to Cotterstock church

...and do a sharp left up a narrow channel to approach the mill from upstream where you can get out and you can park

The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed the folding bike in the front of the boat - ta da! ..... my boat does look rather trashed from ten years of ditching doesn't it? as long as it floats I guess! A half hour of cycling saw me back at the car - all in all a pleasant afternoon out.

Regards to you all & thanks for reading - Dick
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Journal Entries

I always love the look of your paddles. Not sure about this shuttling lark. I’m a circular route sort of paddler.
    John

Self shuttling is over rated. However needs must.

Well done that man. Looks like a delightful day on the water.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

You do get on some gorgeous bits of water.

Looks perfect. Sill water, moving water, Sun. Love it.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

As ever, a wonderful glimpse of the English countryside. I can't get over how many trees still have leaves!

Fabulous way to spend a few hours in glorious sunshine. Then sweat like a ........... cycling back up.

Glad to see your bottom is even more worn than mine....

...err, that doesn't sound quite right

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Fabulous way to spend a few hours in glorious sunshine. Then sweat like a ........... cycling back up.

Glad to see your bottom is even more worn than mine....

...err, that doesn't sound quite right
    hahaha that made me laugh really hard