Thread: Flickr to start charging for more than 1000 photos

Default Flickr to start charging for more than 1000 photos

Inevitable, really! Flickr will soon be limiting free storage to 1000 images.

As it stands, a Pro account which will then provide unlimited storage is $50 I think, but it seems it will be discounted by 30% at first.

https://www.cnet.com/news/flickr-100...cription-push/

I have 20000+ images, but at least that rate is more reasonable than photobucketofpoo!

Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

I'd have thought it would be cheaper to host them yourself in your own domain. Unless the social image sharing side of things is important to you...

Just checked, and I only have about 300 images on there. I only put photos on Flickr if I want to post them on a forum like this one. The rest of my photos are stored on my home computer, with backups on external drives. I don't really understand why people put ALL their photos on an internet site, unless they feel it's more secure. If my house burned down, I'd lose all my pics, but I imagine I'd have other things to worry about...
    Not in Oxford any more...

I keep mine on the hard drive, and post those I want to share on my own domain space (costs me £25/yr but I bought it for other purposes).
    If my house burned down, I'd lose all my pics
    I keep my backup disk in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
    I keep my backup disk in the garage.
    Attached or detached?

Attached or detached?
    Detached, and brought in to be refreshed at intervals (never overwriting the most recent backup). In the short term, I backup automatically to a USB which is permanently inserted in the PC but the batch file that does the backup disconnects it after use and re-connects it before use. There is a plan to move the short term USB to a Raspberry Pi in the garage connected over wifi (again, disconnected when not in use).

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon G View Post
    I'd have thought it would be cheaper to host them yourself in your own domain. Unless the social image sharing side of things is important to you...
    Probably, but then I'd have to spend time separating out the ones I wanted in blogs from the rest, until such a time as any domain can be used to link photos for blogs here and on a couple of other sites I use.

I can actually host them on my blog site, but can't link to them there.

There's also backed up both virtually and on a separate hard drive.

What I REALLY need to do, is edit them down more before uploading!

In the scheme of things, this is far less of a pain than the PB thing, and a Pro account does have other features (like being able to use them commercially) I may use later.

Groan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Groan!

Does anyone know if iCloud photo sharing offers reliable permanent links that can be used on the forum? I donít mind paying for storage but donít want to pay multiple sites for slightly different capability. I already have 2TB in iCloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

until such a time as any domain can be used to link photos for blogs here
    So far as I know, the only restriction on this forum (and others I use) is that the forum doesn't host photos. You can display photos hosted anywhere else on the web, subject only to whatever restrictions the owner of the hosting domain imposes and, if that's you, there need not be any. I've not found anywhere I can't embed photos hosted on my domain.

Can Dropbox be used to host images? Loch Sunart from last w/e ...

Yes, it appears it can (at least previewing it on my machine).

This might benefit those who use Dropbox accounts as offsite backup. On a Mac, right click an image and Copy Dropbox link ..., paste it into the image link of SOTPF and then replace www.dropbox.com with dl.dropboxusercontent.com.

The other thing worth mentioning is that it's worth compressing images for display online - this saves a shedload of bandwidth and storage space. The image above is 6Mb as a 'full size' JPG, 250kb reduced in size to 960 px (width for display on my website) and only 47kb at that size when squeezed through ImageOptim using reasonable compression.

It's notable that some of the outstanding graphics-rich trips reported on SOTP load very slowly for those of us in the boonies with a 3 megabit (at best) connection
    David

--
    Life is short and responsibility overrated - John Gierach