Thread: Faversham new member

Default Faversham new member

Hello,
    I am a new member living in Boughton under Blean near Faversham.
    Canoe'd off and on since building my first lathe and canvas job as a teenager .
    Now hopelessly geriatric but still love my motorcycles, my guitars and banjos ( and mandolins and ukeleles), the outdoors and boats.
    Partner Trudi recently had a taste of canoeing and loved it ..... my excuse! so went straight out and purchased old town Ojibwe.
    have canoed length of the Stour (kentish) many times, and plan to explore more distant waterways.
    Intend some winter canoeing on Broads (have done much winter sailing from Martham).
    Would love to meet local canoeists.

Allan Ayers

I have had some truly memorable days out on the North Kent waterways, ie. the Stour, Swale and Medway, thanks to people posting planned trips in the Meetings/trips/social section of the forum. Unfortunately such things have become quite rare lately so most of my recent paddling has been in the South of the county, I live on the Romney Marsh coast.
    I have seen (but never participated in) an active canoe club in Whitstable, which you may find helpful. https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...0370078882501/
    PS I have many guitars too but all my bikes have pedals.

Hi Pipes. if you are ever over this way, fancy a jar in your local or a meet up on the military canal..... give me a heads up. i am old and retired ... but going down shouting! Al.

Hello and Welcome!

Some lovely rivers over your way.

Welcome, Allan. My most paddled bits of water are the Rother and the Royal Military Canal. They provide many peaceful hours of tranquility. When the wind is quiet and the tide is right, the Swale near you is great fun especially if you fancy a bit of seal spotting - but I don't venture out there if it looks rough.
    Andrew (R.R.R.)

' Pas de leur
    Rhône que nous. '

Hi and welcome...come up to East Anglia, somehow bring the motorbikes and mandolins and we'll have a multi whatever meet!!

Hi Laurence ... would love to do that ... I love flat lands and big sky like you have there.
    by the same token if you come this way got an old de- consecrated pub with a few spare bedrooms ..(constantly crumbling and full of old tat. Chaucer came past my front door, have plenty spare bedrooms and people have been sinking ale here since at least 1350. Motorbikes are always going wrong .., and can't play for toffee despite trying for years .. but if your on the water and the sun is out ..... who cares!
    Thanks your contact.

best to you Al.

Just crashed the Guzzi............. possibly written off, 45 years biking for nowt....

But going canoeing next week on the Little Ouse hopefully...............

Default Oh No!

Sorry to hear that Laurence ... Nice Machine too! Hope the gravel rash missed your bum ... or it will be kneeling position on the water. Glad you are in one piece.
    Regret to say that as i age the R90S gets used less and the Honda Cd90z more .. still love the Norton most I guess the Bonnie is prettiest.
    Trying to steel myself for a little Arctic Monkey paddling ... safer than bikes ! . My
    last tumble was 'front wheel hits ice'. Luckily one of the rare occasions I had the Lewis Leathers on.
    I'll be tracing the little ouse on googlemaps .. and wish you fine weather.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    Just crashed the Guzzi............. possibly written off, 45 years biking for nowt....

But going canoeing next week on the Little Ouse hopefully...............

Norton...my first bike.... but an R90S...I always remember Bike magazines comparison with a Guzzi 750S3 and the R90S......I ended up in those days with a Spada Royale...........aaaaaaaaah....

Anyway, a bit of paddling in the winter is very restorative! And no, I had no rashes!!
    Last edited by laurence milton; 3rd-November-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Hi Allan

I live in Teynham.

I paddle on the Swale quite a bit or the Medway.

You might want to look at The OCA South East Facebook page as we are starting to organise trips and events.

Thanks for the heads up re. the OCA facebook page, I have sent a request to join.

Found myself in Conyer Creek on a rare visit to the north coast to make a delivery my daughter's yacht (still not been out on it). While there I had a recce of the Shipwright's Arms, Oare. to see if there is a canoe launch spot and have a bacon sandwich. Looks like you could land at a high tide but no public parking for launching, still, it's not far from the Harty Ferry slip so a possible future destination for a paddle.
    Last edited by pipes; 4th-November-2018 at 11:36 AM.

I'm not known for brilliant navigation, but you've lost me a bit......"
    Found myself in Conyer Creek on a rare visit to the north coast to make a delivery my daughter's yacht".............?

It can be good fun and testing at times at Harty Ferry, coming against the flow is interesting, ferry gliding works well for me.
    There is also the bonus of seal watching below Oare.

Quote Originally Posted by pipes View Post
    Thanks for the heads up re. the OCA facebook page, I have sent a request to join.

Found myself in Conyer Creek on a rare visit to the north coast to make a delivery my daughter's yacht (still not been out on it). While there I had a recce of the Shipwright's Arms, Oare. to see if there is a canoe launch spot and have a bacon sandwich. Looks like you could land at a high tide but no public parking for launching, still, it's not far from the Harty Ferry slip so a possible future destination for a paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    I'm not known for brilliant navigation, but you've lost me a bit......"
    Found myself in Conyer Creek on a rare visit to the north coast to make a delivery my daughter's yacht".............?
    We collected a folding spray screen from Conyer and took it to Oare where her yacht is moored. hope that makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pipes View Post
    We collected a folding spray screen from Conyer and took it to Oare where her yacht is moored. hope that makes more sense.
    Sorry, I was trying (and failing )to be funny, I've always taken Kent and the Swale to be close on the south coast... (I too sail from not far away...)