Thread: slanting a stern seat

Default slanting a stern seat

Don't want to clutter the general forum so I thought I would stick this here.
    The family and I are on outing 3. This pm we went on the sea (about 800m from the house) and went around the coast despite a fair breeze and rather choppy water.

Don't worry...we hugged the coast, which was sheltering us from the worse of the SW'terlies and were almost always in shallow water.

2 kids, a total beginner wife and I...that meant I had to work rather hard to get us going (we started into the wind so that the way back would be easier).
    I like kneeling better when I have to work hard but also in the choppy waves, it feels more balanced.

My issue is that my arse keeps sliding off the stern seat. This one will almost always be mine. So I am thinking that I could benefit from tilting the seat forward. Easily done. I have quite a bit of nice-ish wood I can use to do so. longer at the front shorter at the back with an angle. I would obviously keep the original seat uprights to revert back.

So my post is asking the following:
    1) have you done it?
    2) how slanty have you done it?
    3) did you feel real gains?
    4) how uncomfortable would it feel when you want to sit?

I have an adjustable seat that can be set for sitting or kneeling. It's a standard Wenona option:

Could you make something similar? In effect, there's a bolt head sticking out of the end of the seat, and it slides into a choice of notches in the vertical aluminium plate. The Wenona design has two height settings, but you would need that complication.

I did it to both front and rear seats on my Charles River. I only dropped the front edge about 10mm and it made it a lot more comfortable. I just packed it with a couple of rubber washers. Could probably have gone a bit more but might have needed to lift the back edge which would have taken a bit more effort. I think the 10mm gave me enough to be honest, I spent most of three days kneeling and didn't slide off or feel especially uncomfortable.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

My seat slanted on both my main boats. I'll check by how much (but more than Matto I think) tomorrow.

Yes, I have mine tilted forwards slightly. Actually, I also replaced two of my seats with half width ones because I very rarely sit so they are more like a more comfortable kneeling thwart. I'd say around 10 degrees or so of forward tilt. On our homemade wooden boat, we also planed a chamfer on the front bar of the seats which stops the edge digging into the back of your thighs.

Slices of blue alkathene water pipe make excellent and cheap temporary (or permanant) spacers so you can experiment with different legths until you find what suits best.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

13 degrees on the Dagger and slightly more ln the fail safe on the Old Town Cascade.

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    13 degrees on the Dagger and slightly more ln the fail safe on the Old Town Cascade.
    Thanks Impcanoe and all others.

I'll start with a fixed slant and try to work towards something resembling the Wenonah thing.

Also managed a fairly satisfactory rack for that new hou prospector and my old faithful prelude. Only satisfactory due to space constraints...the prospector is above shoulder height and whilst manageable is NOT super easy to put there... but tucked away, covered and aired.