Thread: Fjallraven vidda pro trousers??

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

Default Fjallraven vidda pro trousers??

Just wondered if anyone wears them for canoeing? Since they're a bit pricey I'd like to know how the dry and if treating them with greenwax actually water proofs them?

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau

i don't know these trousers but have other jackets and pants from waxed cotton. the stuff works well as long as you keep re-proofing it periodically.
    if you find out you don't like the greenland wax you can also use other wax. i personally prefer the pastey stuff that comes in tins, as opposed to solid ones like the greenland wax. this is very basic traditional "tech", can't go wrong with it.

Personally I found that Fjallraven doesn't really work well in the UK climate (essentially warm* and wet). Even with a heavy application of the wax I do think the trousers would be cold and damp as soon as they got wet - you would probably just have to accept you would get wet, treat them as an over layer and wear a wool layer next to your skin. Probably great for sitting round the fire though and indeed for being dried beside the fire on an expedition.

*At least compared to the climate Fjallraven was designed for.

it's true, you'd need a layer underneath. thin wool works well. i have a similar climate here in the netherlands, wet but not too cold, and am a big fan of my wax cotton stuff. for added ventilation, leave the zipper open and only use the buttons of the flap.
    the xyz-tex fabrics are lighter but wear out much faster, and don't like dirt. plus if there is no sufficient temperature difference between the two sides of the membrane, they also don't breath as advertised. my own conclusion is that i use wax cotton everywhere where speed and light weight are not absolutely essential. and since i no longer do extreme mountaineering, that means i quit using the xyz-tex stuff years ago. as usual, it all depends on your use and preferences

I have a whole range of Fjallraven trousers but I never bothered to wax them. When you buy these G-1000 trousers they are already waxed but that only holds until the first time you wash them (for me that means one week after having bought them) and it's too much work to re-wax with the original stick of greenland wax. When waxed they are not water proof, just water-repelling at the most. They will not hold as much water as non-waxed so will dry faster but you'll still be wet when it really starts raining.
    They are supposed to be fast drying but with all the extra layers of material they don't really dry that fast (if un-waxed, that is).
    I mostly buy them because they are tough (and I like the looks of them )

I have several pairs of Fjallraven including a pair 'Barents hydratic' trousers. These have a double layer, they are windproof and the they have an inner layer which is waterproof. They are one of the warmest pairs of trouser I have. BUT They are expensive. I have other pairs of Fjallraven trousers. They are not waterproof but they dry quickly, but not what I would call a winter pair without something underneath or overtrousers over the top. I particularly like the fit and the very useful pockets. I wax my jacket but I've never bothered with the trousers either. Might try that.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

What the heck. Can someone in authority please delete the first two of these messages. I don't know what I did and I can't figure out how to undo it.

your wish is my command.
    although that stuff about authority may not quite apply in my case

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

Thanks for all your replies. I'll definitely get a pair just as soon as I lost that stone of weight

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau

Thanks Lowlander....You got the power!!