Thread: Help with rooftopping a Hou 14

Default Help with rooftopping a Hou 14

Hi all
    Ive recently bought a Hou 14 and need something to assist me getting it on and off the car on my own as I am short and not particularly strong.
    Has anyone used a Thule Hullivator for an open Canadian as it looks a bit like its marketed at kayak owners? I was trying to avoid as they cost about 500 quid new.
    Any other suggestions for equipment gratefully received
    Alex

Have you seen this?
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...n-the-car-roof

Not cheap, as I claim royalties on every one that's made. A bottle of red wine is the going rate. Lol.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

I have Thule Probars on my roof rack and Thule sell a roller that fits behind the bar, so you can lift the boat onto the rear bar then roll it forward. I've recently bought one; the concept is good, and it's well made, but the detail design is poor. The top of roller is 15mm lower than the bar, so the boat has to be at angle, and on my Focus Estate it's then only millimeters above the top of the tailgate. I've made new brackets, which I will be testing this afternoon, to set the roller level with the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
    I have Thule Probars on my roof rack and Thule sell a roller that fits behind the bar, so you can lift the boat onto the rear bar then roll it forward. I've recently bought one; the concept is good, and it's well made, but the detail design is poor. The top of roller is 15mm lower than the bar, so the boat has to be at angle, and on my Focus Estate it's then only millimeters above the top of the tailgate. I've made new brackets, which I will be testing this afternoon, to set the roller level with the bar.
    If the roller is level with the bar then the canoe will not rest on the back bar at all. The roller will take all the weight unless it can be removed for during transit.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

How about Thule slidebars?

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/roof-...r-127-_-891000

Extend the front bar, lift the front of the canoe onto that, with the canoe angled outwards from the car. Extend the rear bar and lift the back of the canoe onto the bar.

Slide both bars back in and then tie down.

The benefit of the slide mechanism is that you are not having to stretch over the car, you are doing a straight vertical lift.

If the roller is level with the bar then the canoe will not rest on the back bar at all. The roller will take all the weight unless it can be removed for during transit.
    If it's exactly level, then I agree, if it's an inverted canoe with a rising sheerline. But if it's a canoe or kayak on its edge, the weight will be on the bar. However, it doesn't matter if the weight is on the roller, unless friction is necessary to hold it on the bars (the roller is rated for 100kg). I can confirm, after this afternoon, that it works well for getting the boat off and on, even when inverted.

Not sure what stage of the process of getting the boat on the roof you're having trouble with, so this may or may not help.

I did a video about lifting a heavy boat, the end of the video shows the start of getting it onto the roof. From where the video stops I just go to the end on the ground, lift and slide it forward, no rollers, extensions or fancy cradles required, just a little care to make sure you slide it forwards not diagonally off the side of the bars (you can get end stops for your bars to prevent sliding off the side, but I've never felt the need).

Getting it off the car is just the reverse process, slide the boat back until the grab handle is about level with the back bar, put the end on the floor, crouch under the boat, get the yoke onto your shoulders and stand up.
    Last edited by saarlak; 17th-October-2018 at 08:19 PM.
    The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.
    (and my youtube channel)

I often use the method in Saarlak's video to lift mine. But I walk alongside the car and then slide the canoe sideways onto the bars. But I'm tall enough to do that.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Have you seen this?
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...n-the-car-roof

Not cheap, as I claim royalties on every one that's made. A bottle of red wine is the going rate. Lol.
    Just seen this.....I 'm going to give that a try, very simple and clever. The only problem I would have is stowing the "ramps".....(I use a "Handirack")
    In any case a metaphoric bottle of wine is winging its way to you!

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    Just seen this.....I 'm going to give that a try, very simple and clever. The only problem I would have is stowing the "ramps".....(I use a "Handirack")
    In any case a metaphoric bottle of wine is winging its way to you!
    You can store the ramps in the canoe with a couple of bungies.

Thanks for the wine.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    You can store the ramps in the canoe with a couple of bungies.

Thanks for the wine.
    Der.........that piece of obviousness may necessitate a second bottle!

Err, stupid question time, but what are 'ramps'???

The two lengths of wood the canoe is slid up, as per the link in Post 2 from BigAl

That is massively helpful for me as I am currently trying to work out how I can load my 15' Prospector solo. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Helene View Post
    That is massively helpful for me as I am currently trying to work out how I can load my 15' Prospector solo. Thank you
    No worries, good stuff!