Thread: Get a canoe on a LR Discovery

Default Get a canoe on a LR Discovery

A friend has just purchased his first canoe. He drives a Discovery like the model below, which is a tall vehicle. The roof bars fitted are proper LR ones that fit into whatever is on the roof to receive them. The canoe is not a lightweight at approx. 35kgs.
    I went with him to collect it and it was a stretch for the two of us to get it on the roof, so for him and his wife, or him on his own, car topping won't be easy.
    I can think of a few ways to assist him, a couple of expensive ones, and a couple of Heath Robinson ones, but my question to you lovely folks out there that own one of these vehicles;
    Is there an easy, and hopefully cheap way to get a canoe on the roof by oneself ?
    I'd prefer to keep any answers vehicle specific, as what suits one high vehicle may not suit the Landy.

Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

The easiest way is to load from the rear of the vehicle. Fit end stops to the bars to stop the canoe sliding off the sides during loading. (These can be removable if you like). Two people lift the upside down canoe by the gunnels at the mid point either side. Walk towards the back of the car putting the nose over the rear bar. You can then go to the ground end to slide it on. The second person stands at the side to observe the loading. Their job is to direct whether the canoe needs lowered at the back so the nose doesn't foul on the front bars. Get a set of these to stand on https://www.screwfix.com/p/aluminium...FZJ00wodLnMDxw

They can be used at the back to slide the canoe forwards or back as required. Then at the sides to strap it on.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

On his own, he will need to get the canoe on his shoulders by the yoke. Then load from the back again. More difficult but not impossible.

Another option is the trolley I use in this one, although I admit it would be a higher lift than my car.
    Last edited by Big Al.; 16th-October-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

I have a Defender which is taller. With my Mega canoe, if two people are available then I get one to hold the front and the other, the stern. Front person lifts the front onto the first roof bar and second person then slides the entire canoe forwards.
    I watch and give encouragement and direction whist this happens.

More expensive option is the Karitak canoe loader https://www.karitek.co.uk/shop/roof-...oad-roof-racks

Even more expensive option is to get a much lighter canoe. With my other canoe I can get it on top of the Defender on my own (was going to say single-handedly, may just be possible with one hand).

Edit: Another option is to get a roof bar extender for the front bar. lean the front of the canoe onto this, then slide the rest onto the rear bar. With this method it is possible for one person to load fairly heavy canoes onto tall vehicles on their own.
    Bit like this video https://youtu.be/qHttmdifr_8
    Last edited by kmac; 16th-October-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Rhino Rack also do a version, as does RUK

https://youtu.be/-NE_lWaCSDQ

Edit: link to RUK version which can be clamped to any square cross section roof bars

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUK-Roof-...-/131719548921

Thanks guys, I've already thought of these methods.
    At present his rear bar is too far forward to get the end of the boat onto it without fouling the top of rear hatch. I'm not familiar with the roof system of the Discovery, but I do wonder if the rear bar can be moved further back. If not, I'll suggest he puts some old carpet over the end of the roof and rear hatch.

He already has the step thingy you mentioned Al.
    I think his wife will struggle with helping, especially on a vehicle that high. I know my wife would as she doesn't have much strength in her wrists and fingers and canoes are unwieldy beasts.

Kenan; He won't be buying a Karitek or a light weight boat anytime soon, if at all. I have Karitek I could sell him if he really needs it, but I'm loathe to let it go in case I need it in the fullness of time - I ain't getting any younger . I also have lightweight boats, but I ain't selling them either.

I think what I was wondering was; are there any fitments made especially for this model that would make his life easier ?
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Just saw your last post Kenan.
    I like the look of the Rhino, but not the price and vice versa with the Ruk (putting myself in his shoes here).
    I think he takes off his roof bars when not in use, which would be a pain with Ruk system clamped on.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

How about some healthy food and exercise so he can grow big and strong and just lift the canoe up onto the roof

Quote Originally Posted by Sutchy View Post
    How about some healthy food and exercise so he can grow big and strong and just lift the canoe up onto the roof
    Gosh Sutchy, that's a novel idea, I'd never have thought of that .
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Gosh Sutchy, that's a novel idea, I'd never have thought of that .
    Well you kids, its all about the gadgets and tech when a bit of muscle will do the job just as well

Just saw your last post Kenan.
    I like the look of the Rhino, but not the price and vice versa with the Ruk (putting myself in his shoes here).
    I think he takes off his roof bars when not in use, which would be a pain with Ruk system clamped on.
    twosugars on here made his own version of the RUK extendable bar to load his fairly heavy canoe on top of a VW Van. You may want to PM him to ask about it - he may still have it as they are not using the VW vans any longer.

Well you kids, its all about the gadgets and tech when a bit of muscle will do the job just as well
    It is called evolution, no?

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    twosugars on here made his own version of the RUK extendable bar to load his fairly heavy canoe on top of a VW Van. You may want to PM him to ask about it - he may still have it as they are not using the VW vans any longer.
    I may well do that, thanks Ken. Oddly enough, I was thinking about Ted the other day, what a nice fellow .
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Oh, were it that simple but there's more factors involved here than simply hoiking a boat onto the roof
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Another option is a roller as follows:

He can lean canoe on the roller and roll over the bars

Where'd you find that Ken ? I can find the bars but not the roller and prices for it.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Those are specially for a Ford Transit.

https://www.demarvan.co.uk/ford-tran...ler-(at86-a30).

But if you google "roller for roof bars" you will get loads of makers

Those are specially for a Ford Transit.

https://www.demarvan.co.uk/ford-tran...ler-(at86-a30).

But if you google "roller for roof bars" you will get loads of makers

Great, thankyou
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

np. Note however, that an old piece of carpet is just as effective. Depends on how old the car is and how precious he is about it.

Roller for Land Rover Discovery 3 and 4 . - GBP 52

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover...-/222171525858

np. Note however, that an old piece of carpet is just as effective. Depends on how old the car is and how precious he is about it.

He keeps his car nice, so a bit precious I believe, but carpet is the first method I'll mention as he's chucked out a few pennies already on canoe and paddles.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Roller for Land Rover Discovery 3 and 4 . - GBP 52

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover...-/222171525858
    Says it will only fit Rhino bars, but seeing all these things is good for gleaning ideas, maybe with a view to making something similar at home.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

he's chucked out a few pennies already on canoe and paddles.
    Maybe not enough if his boat is so heavy

Mr
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    Maybe not enough if his boat is so heavy
    Small steps Mr Cooper, small steps. Maybe a lighter boat in the fullness of time, but he needs to see if he'll like it long term.
    The boat isn't overly heavy, and certainly feels lighter than the manufacturers figures state it should weigh, but I think he's relying on his wife helping him, but I know that she won't be as much help as he expects, mainly due to the height of the vehicle. Also, you know as well as I do that canoes are unwieldy beasts. Even light ones can be a pig if it's windy.

I'm just asking these questions because I'm pre-empting him finding more difficult than he's expecting.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

If you go to Screwfix and get two of these, https://www.screwfix.com/p/double-cu...E&gclsrc=aw.ds you can attach a bar close to the back of the vehicle for loading.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    If you go to Screwfix and get two of these, https://www.screwfix.com/p/double-cu...E&gclsrc=aw.ds you can attach a bar close to the back of the vehicle for loading.

Can you be a bit more explicit please Al. How are you thinking he might attach a bar to them ?
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Can you be a bit more explicit please Al. How are you thinking he might attach a bar to them ?
    Personally, I'd use a broom handle and bolt through with coach bolts keeping the round head up. But metal tubing would do too, perhaps with csk bolts.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Personally, I'd use a broom handle and bolt through with coach bolts keeping the round head up. But metal tubing would do too, perhaps with csk bolts.
    Okay, thanks Al
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Has your friend tried dropping the rear tailgate and using it as a step to help get the front of the boat up? That's what I do with my Discovery. Also, lowering the air suspension to "Access height" makes things a fair bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post
    Has your friend tried dropping the rear tailgate and using it as a step to help get the front of the boat up? That's what I do with my Discovery. Also, lowering the air suspension to "Access height" makes things a fair bit easier.
    Hi CTM, yes he knows about lowering the suspension and I'll tell him about the tailgate trick - thankyou.
    To be honest, he hasn't tried anything yet as his time since collecting the boat last week is being taken up with other matters.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

i use a roller similar to the one shown a few posts up on my navara jst type ladder roof roller into fleabay

I used to carry a small step in the back of my Defender, to tie canoe on, or find a raised bit of land or bank and reverse up to it, climb the bank and slide canoe off backwards. Some guides on the roof bar also helps a lot.

I have a Karitek unit I am selling as now have a roof tent on my Disco...

Quote Originally Posted by Busymikey View Post
    I have a Karitek unit I am selling as now have a roof tent on my Disco...
    I will message you about this, price etc .

I have A RR Sport, It's lower than the Disc but has the antenna array on the rear roof and the rear spoiler. So rear loading option was out of the question.

The roof rack rails are permanently fitted to the roof and the roof bars are slid in to the rail. The only option i had was to side load (having RA) lifting was, again, out of the question.

Sliding it up wood slides hooked into the roof rails works well. The wood is starting to flex a bit now, so i'm going to replace it with Extruded Aluminium profile, hinged in the middle, so it will fit in the car or on the rack.

My current setup

Hope this give you another idea.
    Simms ..

I like the look of the load/side-stops on your roof bars. What are they ?

Looks familiar. Still waiting on my bottle of wine. Lol
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Many thanks for your help and suggestions guys, as usual you always come up trumps and hopefully my friend will put one of these ideas to good use.

As a slight aside, I changed my car recently, so I joined a forum for that make and model. It's made me realise once again what a nice bunch of folks you are on SOTP cos there's some real happy baskets on that one !!
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    I like the look of the load/side-stops on your roof bars. What are they ?

Thule Portage

Easy-to-load, safe, and secure rack for canoes.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/sport...rtage-_-819000

They are expensive, i got mine of eBay a couple of years age.
    Simms ..

I've got the equivalent to the Thule portage from Yakima ("keelover") which are about 60 including four tie down straps. They protect the gunwale from the roof bars, but they make singlehanded loading of the roof rack more difficult. The tie down straps are good quality, with rubber covers on metal bits and plastic sheaths to protect the car paintwork.
    David

--
    Life is short and responsibility overrated - John Gierach

Cheers Simms, David, I'll have a look