Thread: Kayaking-related illness?

Default Kayaking-related illness?

Hi everyone,
    I wonder if anyone has experienced something similar after swallowing dirty river water please...for the past 9 weeks I have been incredibly tired and suffering from intermittent/unpredictable sickness and diarrhea. I have had tests done but nothing has come back from them, the doctor seems to have lost interest now it's not so straightforward but I cannot do my job or be active at weekends etc. like I usually am.
    Has anyone experienced anything like this please?
    Thank you!

Look up Weil's Disease, clinical name Leptospirosis. There's a specific test for it, but it's not very reliable and doctors don't always know about the symptoms, as it only affects people who have come into contact with dirty water, ie, drainage workers and paddlers. If there's chance you may have it, your doctor should prescribe strong antibiotics and not wait for the test result - if you have it, it needs treating without delay, and worth the downside of taking them unnecessarily.

What Chris said. Go to the doctor armed with info on Weil's, or ask to see a second doctor. It might not be, but better safe than sorry.

My thoughts exactly - speaking as a GP, a lot of GPs aren't very aware of leptospirosis, so go with info from British Canoeing (they used to do a good info sheet on it, don't know if they still do).
    Otherwise there's a wide choice of water/sewage-bourn bugs they should also consider if they haven't done so already.

Sounds like what we call 'beaver fever' , actually Giardia - it's a weird bug coz it's not a bacteria or a virus & difficult to see on tests unless you are specifically looking for it - it's a "protozoan parasite". I've had it... nasty.... Get tested for it.

Thanks so much everyone, that's really appreciated - I'll certainly look into leptospirosis and giardia and go back more prepared next time :-) Thanks so much!

A good mate had similar - GP thought it was alcohol induced liver damage. He was teetotal! It was leptospirosis.
    You don't stop playing because you get old - you get old because you stop playing.

I find it very sad that some doctors need to be led by the nose these days to find the correct diagnosis.

Good luck and I hope you recover soon.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    I find it very sad that some doctors need to be led by the nose these days to find the correct diagnosis.

Good luck and I hope you recover soon.
    To be fair, its a bit of a niche diagnosis. Most GPs will go through their entire career without seeing a case, and its initial symptoms are very non-specific. And the range of illnesses that can be caught from dirty water is huge. It just depends on how dirty the water was and where.
    A good friend was ill for nearly a year after exposure to floodwater in the 2007 Sheffield floods. His illness was never diagnosed either, but considering he may have been exposed to anything from Hepatitis A to heavy metals that isn't surprising.

Ticks and Lyme disease might be another thing to consider and may have been on the river Bank?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk