Thread: Yare She Blows - Hardley!

Default Yare She Blows - Hardley!

On a fairly windy October afternoon, after being confined indoors for a few weeks with persistent man-flu, I hatched a plan for an evening paddle.

Ducking out of work a little early I headed home and picked up the boy and the dog. As it had been windy all day I also opted for the Grumman over the Prospector.

We put in at Hardley Staithe which we had walked from previously, but had never paddled from. Its about 5 miles from home so still pretty local.

We paddled down past all the moorings and looked at the boats. The plan was to paddle about a kilometre or so upstream to find the Hardley Windmill that historically was used to drain the marshes. Most of the windmills are now ruins replaced with electric pumps.

Didn't get a lot of photos on this leg of the trip as I was fighting a fairly strong ebbing tide. Its a real treat now the kids occasionally dip a paddle as it made a real difference to our progress. Luckily the wind had dropped off and it was warm enough in the evening sunshine.

We made it to the windmill but it wasn't turning. Apparently they lock it down when its not open to visitors, so it doesn't damage itself.

Victory Dance.

This wind pump was restored to working order in 2013. I need to come back when its running. We bumped into a dog walker who said it is a cracking view from the top.

The boy fleeing from the horrible hound.

Up-sailing. It's the next big thing!?

So after 20 minutes of messing about and eating an orange we headed back to the canoe for the return leg. It had cooled off now and the sun was getting low in the sky. We saw a Marsh Harrier quartering over the reed beds and it flew right over us which was quite the spectacle. We broke out the M and M's for the return journey to keep morale high.

I had a go at capturing a sunset drip. Must get lower!

A shadow of my former self.

There was a Marsh Harrier in this photo but my phone couldn't capture it.

Ubiquitous swan action.

It was a lot easier on the way back as we now had the tide with us. It always good to plan trips on the Yare with the tide in mind. We got out at 6.45pm and low tide was at 7.30.

All in all a great local paddle. Good times.
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Looked like a fun trip out. Does your dog sit still in the canoe?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl Paddler View Post
    Looked like a fun trip out. Does your dog sit still in the canoe?
    She's generally pretty good, although she does move about so you have to adjust your trim accordingly. Its normally a case of the kids all leaning over one side looking at minnows and she moves over to see whats going on! Its not caused a capsize yet but its been close. She is however a black hearted beast. Her favourite thing is rolling sliding and skidding in poo, which is particularly unpleasant on overnight trips! Luckily no poo incidents on this trip!

Nice looking trip and a good title too!
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Good stuff Rob. Great day with the lad, that last photo is one for the family album.

As you say, need to get braver with the camera to get the paddle/drip shot! Lens just below the gunwhale for me...hopefully means the paddle is light against the dark horizon too. With a lot of luck and deleting of images...

Hope the prognosis for the man-flu is good, a horrid disease.

Cheers Dick,

Enjoyed your Nene blogg, too. I overnighted with the kids at pear tree island during the summer. Do you overnight or more of a day tripper?

Cheers too Mal,

I fear the best paddle/drip shot might need to be taken from just above the waterline from the ducks eye position. I’ll experiment with gaffer tapping wildlife to cameras or maybe get a dry suit. Do you trim the canoe for your shots?

Robin

Nice one Robin - look s like a great Dad and Lad adventure.

Aren't those the best, something to cherish........ canoeing the Broads is a fabulous never ending experience! Thank you!