Thread: roof rack

Default roof rack

In between our old car dying and having enough money to replace it, I have a borrowed car with no roof rails and roof bars only available for 140 upwards.

As a temporary measure, has anyone tried these? They look to work similar to the inflatable ones (with a strap running through the car to catch your head on) but I think the suckers would be less likely to result in scratches to the car roof.
    Anyone any thoughts please?

Thanks
    Sam

They looks similar in concept to the rental rack provided to us by Algonquin outfitters. See photo here and description below, copied from blog.

They sit the bars on the roof, on plastic or foam pads, then strap the bars down tight, through the car doors. Then tie the boats to the bars with 3mm nylon cord, just to stop them slide sideways. The main ties are straps from the ends of the boats to the chassis of the car, via steel S hooks engaged in whatever holes there already were in the chassis. It's unusual, but it was very solid. The straps through the doors drip a bit if it rains.They sit the bars on the roof, on plastic or foam pads, then strap the bars down tight, through the car doors. Then tie the boats to the bars with 3mm nylon cord, just to stop them slide sideways. The main ties are straps from the ends of the boats to the chassis of the car, via steel S hooks engaged in whatever holes there already were in the chassis. It's unusual, but it was very solid. The straps through the doors drip a bit if it rains.
    The main differences are first that the Algonquin version sits on big foam blocks, not suckers, which distribute the load over the roof better, and second that the main ties to the boats go direct to the vehicle, not the rack - which you could do on QuickRack too.

I use the inflatable (Handirack?) and find it superb.....no scratching: new second hand car, so still a little precious with it!! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by samB View Post
    In between our old car dying and having enough money to replace it, I have a borrowed car with no roof rails and roof bars only available for 140 upwards.

As a temporary measure, has anyone tried these? They look to work similar to the inflatable ones (with a strap running through the car to catch your head on) but I think the suckers would be less likely to result in scratches to the car roof.
    Anyone any thoughts please?

Thanks
    Sam
    Hi Sam,

I purchased my first canoe earlier this year and purchased this kit to get it back. It transported a 16 ft Charles River with the front and back tied down with no problem/scratches. My one observation was the difficulty aligning the canoe on the blocks. I should point out though I have a VW Transporter so the height didn’t help. I’ve since ditched the blocks and now use pipe lagging on The gunnels so I can simply slide the canoe on the roof and use the straps that came with the kit to secure it. I would think dropping the canoe on the blocks on a normal height car would be a little easier.

Rob

If I may add, it's typically dirt that can create the possibility of scratches with temporary racks since the suction cups or inflatable crossbars or foam blocks may move around a little bit and grind any dirt into your paint. So it's good to make sure your roof is clean where the temporary rack touches it.

Near Banbury, England and just South of Poitiers France.

Know someone who used something similar. They liked them a lot, but did discover that rain wicked into the car along the straps. Found very wet car seats after a rainy night!

The ends of the bars are designed to fold back underneath and prevent this....many just allow them to follow the straps and hence the wicking?