Thread: Paint

Default Paint

Can I paint the inside of my Apache with any paint, or is there a recommendation for sprucing up fibreglass (the inside is NOT gel-coated)

All I'm going to say is this: In my esteemed opinion it is unlikely that "any paint" would work. So no, flat wall paint or Dulux gloss might not meet the criteria. Other than that I have nothing else to offer.

A marine paint, with appropriate primer and undercoat should work (they paint yachts) but will not be cheap. Probably 3x domestic paint or more.

You'll need to go with a two-pack system if you want really hard wearing but they are expensive, can be a bit awkward to use and once you've mixed it, you need to use it up.

My stitch and glue boat is painted with

https://www.boatpaint.co.uk/acatalog...Multicoat.html

It's a satin finish so it forgives surface imperfections, is easy to apply with a short-pile mini-roller and really is quite tough.

Why do you want to paint it? If it's looking scruffy, you'll need to get it properly clean before painting, or the paint won't stick and in a year's time it will look worse. You can't really sandpaper a laminated finish, so getting proper paint adhesion is difficult anyway. Added to that, if you ever decide to sell the boat, paint will reduce the value - I wouldn't buy a painted boat for three reasons; what's it covering up, it's added weight, and it will need repainting at intervals to keep its appearance.

You should contact Stu at apache. If anyone knows the answer, he will. He is both approachable and helpful. He may even see this post and reply.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Thinking more, I always thought Apache canoes had a flowcoat applied to the inside. Are you sure it isn't already coated? If not, flowcoat may be the correct option.

Hey Dave. As Chris says, I'd think carefully before painting the inside. It will add weight, and paint will certainly put off any future buyers. As said, maybe give Stu a call.

Obviously, I know you're partial to showing off the inside of your canoe fully, to anybody standing on the banks;

(No swim involved, by the way)

All good points. I'll probably get it upholstered. Mal for a minute I thought those photos were photo shopped. I don't do white water!! Well not unless I really have to!!
    Last edited by Uncle Albert; 6th-October-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    ... I'll probably get it upholstered.....
    Leather, deep button green vinyl, or pink shag pile?
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Have you tried cleaning it?

There are all sorts of products for polishing up the shiny side, I have never really noticed anything specifically for doing the usually hidden side, but as noted I think Stu flow coats the inside so although textured there is no reason you couldn't use a marine polish/fibreglass restorer on it, just expect to shred a few polishing pads and need to wash residual polish out of all the millions of nooks and crannies afterwards. You might be better off just pressure washing it (gently).

How hard can it be?

Dilute oxalic acid makes a really good job of cleaning a fibreglass motorboat.