Thread: Panel Built (Stitch-n-Glue) vs Cedar Strip

Default Panel Built (Stitch-n-Glue) vs Cedar Strip

I seem to see a fair variety of panel built boats on this site.
    Could I safely assume that stitch-n-glue boats are a somewhat more popular form of construction than are strip boats in the UK?
    Yes? No? And if so, is it perceived ease of build? Materials availability? Preferred aesthetic?
    Inquiring minds and all ...
    Thx all.
    Trevor Paetkau
    Ashes Still Water Boats
    Canoe Plans | Custom Boats

both can be done, stitch an glue si faster cheaper. less demanding in skill and stamina. A stripper is most of the times nicer to look at and more importand nicer to paddle. not usre if i see more of 1 or the other.
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

I think that a usable boat can be built by someone with no previous experience and little woodworking skills using the stitch and glue method.

I trained as a carpenter/joiner many years ago and really did not enjoy building my stitch and glue boat. The method of "near enough" panel fits and endless filling and fairing went against the grain for me (maybe that pun was intended !)

I would love to build and own a lovely cedar strip boat and it is something I might do in the future but for my current paddling, I enjoy my old Royalex tub that I can drag about, drop in a car-park and leave outside in all weathers.

I think stitch and glue is perceived to require less time, skill and experience than strip building, and the materials are probably easier to obtain. I don't think anyone would chose panels over strips for aesthetics, and I'm unsure either way on what people think about the weight of the finished boat.

I've built both, and the stitched boat was way easier to build than the stripper. Having said that, in the end the stripper was far better to look at, and a better paddle than the panel boat and It's nice to say 'I built that' Neither is a way to get onto the water cheaply, it's amazing how the material costs escalate during the build and you may end up with a boat that is worth less than the cost of the component parts. (if having built it you decided to sell it)
    P
    Just goin with the flow

I'm not so sure about the cost thing there. You can build a perfectly good stitch and glue boat for less than the cost of a well-worn second hand hire boat that will weigh about half as much and paddle much more nicely.

People have a tendancy to use expensive materials but it isn't strictly necessary. For example, you could use decent quality exterior ply and polyester resin in place of marine ply and epoxy. If you are time rich and money poor, a stitch and tape would be a good way to go. It seems the more time you are prepared to spend cutting out more complex shapes and multiple chines, the nicer the boat will be to paddle. A poor design will be poor regardless of how much you spend on the wood and the glue. I suppose the strip-built boat is the ultimate incarnation of this reduction.

Then there are bent ply boats like the gorewood. Smooth curves. Be interesting how those perform in comparison to a stripper. Aesthetically very pleasing too with reflections of original birchbark boats in their design. I do like the idea of owning one although I bet they can be frustrating to build.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

I can't build an Airfix kit, much less a canoe, and some strip built ones are stunning.
    But I have just commissioned Nick Hanington of Weston canoes to build me a 156 a ply/epoxy stitch and wotsit design.
    He has managed to give this some nice lines, with a gentle sheer to the gunwhales, and a slight recurve approaching the stems, and by using several planks incorporates a slight rocker, a slight v bottom and a softer turn to the bilge than some stitch designs, with its multiple chines.

(I'm afraid I can't upload pictures here, but I think he's done a beautiful job!)