Thread: Any experience of Longshaw packrafts

Default Any experience of Longshaw packrafts

I've been very taken with the pack rafting blogs on here, and started looking at different options. I love the idea of bike-rafting, and being able to take a boat practically anywhere with you opens up all sorts of possibilities, as Crow's blogs show. Longshaw packrafts look similar in design and spec to other brands such as alpaca, but are cheaper by a couple of hundred quid - enough for a decent lightweight paddle... I'd wondered about their DE260.
    Are they any good, or are they a cheap knock-off of a better product?

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Thanks for the mention, Double G.

I think you mean Longshore packrafts: https://www.longshoreinternational.com/

As far as I can see, they are pretty much clones of Alpacka packrafts, in terms of their shape and sizes. The DE260 looks identical to the Alpacka Llama (Large). There are quite a lot of Alpacka clones coming out of China, as it's easy to copy the shape, but often they are made of inferior materials and build quality.

However Longshore is based in the UK, and I may have met its owner once.

The boats look to be a bit heavier than their Alpacka equivalents, which will be due to different materials used.

Don't know any more than that, I've always paddled Alpacka, but I'll ask around.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Thanks Gordon, much appreciated. I have just noticed they have an offer on the DE260 at the moment. Getting very tempted...
    Last edited by Gordon G; 5th-October-2018 at 12:46 AM.

Journal Entries

I've asked around and there are some reservations about the ethics of copying boat designs in this way.

Specific comments on this one were: "Heavy and bulky with untested durability. And not as cheap as they should be."

Don't know if that helps.

Crow Trip Log

Thanks Gordon. That does clarify things actually. I was asking myself if the 300 price difference is worth it, but since the whole point of pack rafts is to be small, lightweight and easy to carry packed up, while being a proper boat on the water, the answer has to be 'yes'.
    The alpackas are half the weight, and presumably pack up smaller too, though I can't find competitive figures for the longshore versions.
    It looks like it will be an alpacka for me if I decide to go down this road. I'll just have to save up a bit more cash...

Journal Entries

Well, like I say, I haven't got direct experience of other packrafts, but I have paddled a few Alpackas and they've all been excellent. Lightweight, strong and great build quality.

It's probably true that you get what you pay for in this case.

If you ever want to try mine some time, give me a shout (I've got a couple).

Crow Trip Log

Have you read Chris S's thoughts? He reviews the EX280 on his blog https://inflatablekayaksandpackrafts...ckraft-review/ as well as packrafts from a couple of other suppliers (including Alpacka). He's always struck me as totally impartial, so you can rest assured that it won't be the all-too-common advertorial masquerading as opinion that blights much of the inflatables online world

Thanks for the link - a good read.