Thread: Catching the Drips - one Wey to get a sunset photo

Default Catching the Drips - one Wey to get a sunset photo

Last week, Farcebook actually suggested an interesting "memory" to me. A photo I'd taken on the Thames a few years ago, with the ripples from a dripping paddle catching the light from a lovely sunset.

That was with my first little waterproof camera.

So with an early-ish finish and a good forecast, I was inspired to see if I could come up with something similar, using the DSLR. My favourite local watery sunset spot seemed to be the best choice, so late afternoon saw me unloading the canoe at Pyrford Lock and paddling gently upstream.

The light was fabulous, the water a perfect mirror. At Walsham Weir, smoke drifted across the calm waters.

It was time for the first Song of the Paddle "over the side" shot. Now, these are not without their difficulty, when its a reflection you want. First, the canoe must be stopped. Second, the canoe must not wobble, or the reflections will be gone. Third, the paddle needs to be still wet for drips to come, so you haven't got an age to wait for it to be still. Fourth, you have to lean slightly over without making the hull move. Finally, you're holding a rather pricey bit of electronic camera gear over the side of a canoe, just above the water. What could possibly go wrong?

This came together quite well, though the light was still too bright really. Onwards I paddled, past woodlands, before turning up the old backwater towards the Hoe stream. Here, the mirror was even more perfect.

With time to kill before sunset, I pottered up the Hoe Stream for a while, watched by an interested squirrel. The woodland was shady, just a few shafts of light breaking through the green canopy.

A recently fallen tree (probably easy to pass, but I couldn't be bothered) formed my turning point, only 1/4 mile up or so. Soon I was back on the Wey backwater, and paddling up against a gentle flow towards the priory. The sky was now matching the light and the reflection in its beauty. Yet these are actually man made - remnants of contrails from the many aircraft which overfly the south east.

The sun was nearly gone, peeping out from behind the ancient ruins. I pointed the bows into some reeds to hold the canoe in place, and waited and watched, as the light show began in earnest.

As I waited, I kept half an eye out on the meadows around, hoping to see one of the barn owls that haunt this place. A white shape appeared, wafting its way silently to a large dead oak, where it perched, head turning constantly on the look out for dinner. Or breakfast, I guess. As I watched, the owl occasionally moved from perch to perch in different trees, but eventually returned to the first. Where it disappeared inside, and upwards, into the big hole in the trunk.

Eventually, it came out, and flew off on its first proper hunt of the evening. A wonderful sight to watch, but another magnificent view was laid out in front of me. It was time for that shot.

I'd have liked a bigger drip ring, but the timing isn't easy!

The colours deepened, giving me a last display.

I paddled back in the heavy dusk that settled on the landscape, perfectly content.

Thanks Mal,

Absolutely stunning shots, everyone was atmospheric & inspirational.

You know, if you keep working at this photo malarkey, you could get quite good.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Brilliant photos Mal.
    You should run some commercial photography for canoeists course. I am sure it would be very successful mixing the pleasure of canoeing with photography.
    Graham

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

beautiful Mal, thank you for sharing

Really enjoyed those. Now you can go back and stalk the barn owl.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Amazing Mal!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    When I read about the evils of drinking I gave up reading.

Stunning! Have you got a flip out screen on your camera for those low down shots?

Excellent stuff!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

Thaks all. Was a stunning evening Hopefully autumn will bring plenty more.

Quote Originally Posted by Gdd View Post
    Brilliant photos Mal.
    You should run some commercial photography for canoeists course. I am sure it would be very successful mixing the pleasure of canoeing with photography.
    Graham

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, but I'm not yet ready for that! I mostly go on instinct, no technical training at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Oh yes, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl Paddler View Post
    Stunning! Have you got a flip out screen on your camera for those low down shots?
    Yes, which makes a big difference, though I can only glance at it whilst everything else is going on!

Stunning .Such a beautiful interplay of light ,reflections and lanscape . And the squirrel is magnificent .

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Feckin' barn owls. Two of them sat in that hole tonight, 45 minutes showing me their bums only. I wasn't sure they were actually alive until one lifted its tail and squirted...

Once the dusk was almost done, and darkness complete, one deigned to come out and perch for a bit. Way past photography light.

A wonderful calm time, spent waiting just in case. Now I know they're there, poor buggers are gonna get stalked regularly...

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Stunning .Such a beautiful interplay of light ,reflections and lanscape . And the squirrel is magnificent .
    Thanks Andre. These calm still evenings are simply awe-inspiring times to sit and drift on the water. The squirrel was actually quite arsey, gave me a right telling off for disturbing his evening.

'' The squirrel was actually quite arsey, gave me a right telling off for disturbing his evening '' Thought he had a Victor Meldrew expression

Lovely drip shot Mal. I've tried these myself with the 1Ds3, and it's bloody difficult holding that weight over the side and keeping everything level and nicely framed.

Mal,

Your photos are stunning. You most definitely have a Photographer's eye.

The " Golden hour" morning or dusk is the best time for shots with atmosphere.

They say that photos lead the viewer a curtain point, but your pictures, well each time i view them i find something different .... just stunning

have you seen this App:-

https://www.photoephemeris.com/

I use it on my phone, when i get the chance to go out with my "big" camera

This was a pic, on the way home from work one morning, sorry no canoeing.

Cardington Airship Hangers, taken on my iphone 7.
    Simms ..

Fantastic photos, thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon G View Post
    Lovely drip shot Mal. I've tried these myself with the 1Ds3, and it's bloody difficult holding that weight over the side and keeping everything level and nicely framed.
    Especially when, even on the calmest of days, either the faintest of currents, or the slightest of breezes, mean your canoe is always turning slightly... Thanks Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Simms View Post
    Mal,

Your photos are stunning. You most definitely have a Photographer's eye.

The " Golden hour" morning or dusk is the best time for shots with atmosphere.

They say that photos lead the viewer a curtain point, but your pictures, well each time i view them i find something different .... just stunning

have you seen this App:-

https://www.photoephemeris.com/

I use it on my phone, when i get the chance to go out with my "big" camera

This was a pic, on the way home from work one morning, sorry no canoeing.

Cardington Airship Hangers, taken on my iphone 7.
    Nice light there mate. I've used the app (or similar website) occasionally, though it isn't currently on the phone due to capacity issues. Its also useful for plotting campsites that will look out on the sunset!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinem View Post
    Fantastic photos, thank you for sharing.
    Thanks Caroline!

Great dedication to your subject Mal...which of course means that photos are fantastic.
    '...you can led a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...' Stan Laurel

Journal Entries

So many great photos from one trip. I’m glad to get one good picture a trip if I can.

I do like setting myself a photo challenge sometimes too as an incentive to go for a paddle.
    John