Thread: Where do you fit a yoke on a 3 man canoe?

Default Where do you fit a yoke on a 3 man canoe?

Where does it go? I have seen that yoke seats exist: there aren't currently any web yoke seat in the north shore watersport but I saw it on their website. That means that the yoke is now significantly deeper inside the canoe. Will it work?

I am, perhaps wrongly, assuming that you want the yoke bang on the middle to have a balanced load on your shoulders.

If I buy a 3 seat canoe, often I see no yoke. Again, I am assuming that being a 3 man, the expectation is that you want be carting the canoe alone... which I would be doing with my kiddies.

so I am assuming that I would have to move the middle or perhaps both seats forward in order to fit the yoke.

I want to make sure there isn't entrapment issues in case of a pin or something, were we to go on moving water! It is not the plan as yet but who knows.

It looks like often the yoke is fitted facing the same way. If I have a yoke seat, I could reverse that with the yoke closer to the main rear paddler (me). If I ever have to paddle the boat solo, I can kneel just behind the yoke. it will also leave enough room for putting kit behind my kid and still have some space to kneel at the rear seat. Does it seem reasonable?

I am not sure that I explained that well but...

I know folk who, because they're kids and lighter, just put the seat back a bit from the middle and still have plenty of leg room in a 16.

Another option is a removable yoke, which clamps to the gunwhales for carrying.

The yoke needs to be central for balance, but if its only a few inches off it'll probably be manageable, and you could even "trim" it with a bit of extra weight at the shorter end (cos what you really want is more weight when carrying, eh?! )

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    I know folk who, because they're kids and lighter, just put the seat back a bit from the middle and still have plenty of leg room in a 16.

Another option is a removable yoke, which clamps to the gunwhales for carrying.

The yoke needs to be central for balance, but if its only a few inches off it'll probably be manageable, and you could even "trim" it with a bit of extra weight at the shorter end (cos what you really want is more weight when carrying, eh?! )
    Thanks so much for all your help Mal! It is very appreciated.

You could fashion a removable yolk from some mini cell foam that would attach to the middle seat when required. Make it thick enough to compensate for the depth the seat is below the gunnels.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

I have a removable yoke for one of my boats as the seat is too close to the yoke for comfort when set up properly. I've had it with photos on here, but if you choose to pm me an email address I can send you photos. I bought mine from Endless River.

I have a removable yoke, used on my OC1s, and now with my glider where the seat in the right place would be too close to a fixed yoke for comfort. I've had it with photos on here, but if you will PM your email address , or contact me via face book, (Peter Halliwell), I'll send you some photos. I bought mine from Endless River.

It all begs the question: how many thwarts do you need in a 16ft 3 seats canoe?

My understanding it that they keep the structural shape of the canoe from warping twisting under force, be it from current, wind or even forces applied by people within.

I take it that a seat fulfills some of that role albeit to a lesser extent due to its U shape.

All pics I have seen seem to have a stern seat then a thwart then middle seat and bow seat. Is there any other reasonable configuration?

This thread is making me think about boat I don't really know much about so I hope that you will accept my stupid musing and explain step by step your thinking... I learn fast, if you explain at length

Journal Entries

Don't think there is a right answer to this one fella but I will say 1... My old 16 footer went from back to front, grab handle, seat, thwart, yoke, kneeling thwart, seat, grab handle... That's plenty, For light use it saw, the yoke in the middle would be enough but.. piccie below for reference

Cheers,

Alan

I would love to see more pics of the set up inside. It looks (looked as you said my "old" boat) a fine vessel. I'm picking up my new purchase (hou prospector) tomorrow. Hope to have it outfitted fast as kids and myself are on hols from next Friday for 2 weeks! It would be nice to have one outing to christen the boat. Kids don't know I am buying one for the family. I hope to surprise them.

Journal Entries

Am hoping this will work it's from photobucket so might disappear at any moment... Nothing special on this one, standard placement and I added a kneeling thwart about 16 to 18 from the yoke. Bow nearest the camera.

This was my old 15 footer which had a centre seat rather than a kneeling thwart. Bow nearest again

Don't sweat it too much fell you'll figure out what works best for you.
    Cheers,

Alan

As above, the yoke has to be pretty close to the balance point of the boat or it will prove very difficult to carry . If I was going to have it unbalanced, I'd have it slightly "back heavy" so it had a tendancy to tip backwards slightly. This allows you to put a hand forwards and hold onto a seat or to hold the painter to keep it balanced. If you're having to lift it rather than pull it down to keep it balanced, it can get away from you more easily. Although if it was very unbalanced in that direction, the yoke could slip back off your shoulders which results in the rest of the boat hitting you on the top of the head a fraction of a second later. Do remember the "back" of the boat is relative to where you are standing/sitting, not the outfitting of the boat, the hull is (usually) symmetrical on a canoe so you can fit the yoke pointing in either direction.

Further to the above -perhaps this is just human nature because there is no good reason I can think of- but you seldom see someone car-topping a canoe while facing the back of the car. As such, if the boat is slightly stern heavy on the carrying yoke, you are less likely to chop your wing mirrors off with the front as you lift the boat off.

While my 15ft boat isn't a 3-seater canoe by any stretch of the imagination and is outfitted as a tandem, I have on occasion had three adults in it. One on each seat and one on the kneeling thwart. If you think about it, it's set up so it's trimmed correctly with either an adult on both the stern and bow seats OR an adult on the kneeling thwart. Using all three in this setup doesn't adversely affect the trim. If I was setting this boat up for three people all the time, I'd consider fitting a half-width seat (like the stern seat) where the kneeling thwart is.

One thing I try to do is make sure the "horns" of the carrying yoke are pointing away from the nearest seat, if you were to come to a sudden halt and land up bent double round it, I'd rather have the rounded edge in my midriff.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Thanks for the pics guys. So now, I have the boat and I have the extra seat. Someone sent me pics of a removable yoke (which might be my preferred solution, but my heart isn't set yet).
    Bow and stern seat in their original position. Remove the existing yoke and put the seat instead. For trim and space for bags. Would you do:
    1) Put the back of the seat in the yoke holes (small persons both at the front half) and put bags... in front of yourself.
    2) leave more space between the 2 kids (they do not whack each other by accident/on purpose when switching sides), put some bags under and immediately behind each seats.
    3) re-drill new holes on either side of the centre point so that the middle of the central seat is at the centre point?
    I'm planning on doing some of this in the next 4 days but not before I go and have a paddle with one of the small ones (the other, I'm renting to a brownie weekend away)

I love pictures of people set-ups (can you tell me the size of your boats though so I get an idea of proportions)
    Ta much for all advice, it's gratefully received.

With regard to trim, the main thing is to have alternative positions for the bags, so that you can adjust the trim depending on the wind. You can also adjust by swapping positions for the kids, assuming they are different sizes, but you also need the flexibility to cope with them growing.

The yoke position needs to be at or near the balance point, as discussed above, and then the middle seat needs to avoid the space where your head will be when carrying with the yoke.