Thread: What is this open top lark?

Default What is this open top lark?

Evening all.

New to the forum and relatively new to canoeing. Have been paddling WW kayak for quite some time but a recent shoulder injury has meant that Iíve been limited to grade 1 at best for the past few months. I decided that it might prove a good opportunity to spend more time with the family (married with 4 kids under the age of 12) so bought a couple of 16ft Canadians and havenít looked back. Iím hooked. Planning some short trips local (West Midlands) with a spot of camping thrown in, some slightly longer (Trent or maybe a river back in my home county Yorkshire), and my wife and I are also making plans to complete the Wye next summer.

All in all. Love the scerenity and freedom it offers and welcome any advice that might help heighten our experiences.

TIA

Hello and Welcome!

Have an explore of Paddle Points for ideas on places to launch. The Severn would make sense, as well as the Avon and many of those canals the Midlands is full of.

Camping and open canoeing are perfect together, it really is the best way to travel. Kids normally enjoy the adventure, though they can get bored if stuck in the canoe with nothing to do for a few hours, so plan lots of stops, especially in places they can mess about on the shore and get wet and muddy.

Of course, you could always start taking your opens down a few grade 2-3s for old times sake...

Thanks Mal. I’m busy browsing as much as I can on here but will make sure to check out the Paddle Points section. As for WW... That’s definitely off the menu for at least a year. Surgical knife will be going in around December.

Some nice loops on the river Trent and local canals around you, for example ...

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I know right...it's awesome. Just restarted on here for the family reason. Folks are super helpful and many seem incredibly knowledgeable.

what is this open top lark?

well its like sitting in a cold bath tub in the garden, usually in a light rain wishing you'd taken up a drier hobby...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfs150 View Post
    what is this open top lark?

well its like sitting in a cold bath tub in the garden, usually in a light rain wishing you'd taken up a drier hobby...
    A cold bath that is normally spinning the opposite way you want it to, thanks to a cutting wind...

Like your description, its been too true on numerous occasions!