Thread: No I've never read Swallow's & Amazon's

Default No I've never read Swallow's & Amazon's

This was my 30th wild camp per month in a row, normally I go on my bike but this time I added my new pack raft in to the trip

In a break from the norm I had to take a ruck sack with me.
    On the bike front was all my bivi gear, on the back of the bike was my pack raft, in the middle was water, tools and cooking.
    On my back was my life jacket, oars and anything else I couldn't fit on the bike, but at least it was very light.

The plan was simple, park at a mates house a several miles south of Coniston Water in the Lakes, right up the East side of the lake and around the northern tip to Coniston for something to eat, then head south over the West side for as far as I could get to on my bike before the foot path starts.

On the way north I scoped out my planned spot for the night on Peel Island (yes I know it's the one from Swallows and Amazon's and no I've never read it) and noticed that the wind was picking up a bit with white tops to some of the waves, could it be time for a plan B?

After a brief stop for a late lunch (or was it an early tea?) I pushed on, thinking that If I was too scared (as a newbie) to cross the lake by pack raft at least I'd have the daylight to retrace my route for the much shorter and more sensible crossing onto the island

Soon enough the rideable path ran out and it was pushing or paddling time. With 2 miles to go, into a strong(ish) head wind and a choppy lake crossing to be done I thought I'd give it ago so set afloat at 4pm.

The wind had died a little, but it was very blustery at times.
    My god it was choppy away from the shoreline and quite scary for a novice at times, but I pushed on and braved the crossing #Hero.
    Only when I was closer to the east side did I relax a little, but every time I stopped to get out a camera the wind took me back to where I was paddling from so it was no time to get all arty and I dug deep.

90 minutes after starting just south of Coniston (town) I landed in the quiet harbour on my own island for the night.

Bivi set up before dark, in a sheltered hollow away from the sight of passing boats, no fires is always my policy so it was easy to stay out of sight

8 hours of kip only woken by a spot of rain on the tarp (and my 50 year old bladder )

I was up packing away at first light and said goodbye to my home for the night on a much calmer morning on the open water

And a 360 photo from the middle of the lake

I made it to the shore, put the raft on the bike and rode back to my car, to be home in time for a nice big Sunday lunch

Alpaca Caribou review - It's amazingly stable, pack down small, weighs very little and is easy to paddle.
    If you like route planning and faffing with your gear this has to be on your must have list of kit

Ride, Raft, Eat, Sleep, Raft, Ride and Repeat

Here's a 1min 50secs film of my trip
    Last edited by JohnClimber; 1st-October-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Not having read Swallows and Amazons is inexcusable, second hand for almost nothing on Amazon. BBC and films no substitute for the written word and imagination. A splendid trip nevertheless..

I've not read it either.

Cracking blog of a great trip. Loved the video too.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Nice one. Have paddled there, but not spent the night.

Like the 360 photo.

I have read the book, but its 40 years ago...

Well deserved jelly babies

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Great stuff!

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

I've not read it either.
    Think I might have seen the movie - does that count

Tis indeed a great blog - with a movie to watch too.

And if,hypothetically speaking, someone hadnt even heard of it before, should they keep that to themselves incase they get shunned? Asking for a friend..

Great trip. I tried once with mine plus bike down a local river. Wasnt too keen on having the bike above my feet at the front though, had a slight fear of getting tangled in it if i tipped over. Which was looking likely at several points, taking both wheels rather than one off looks alot more stable !

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    And if,hypothetically speaking, someone hadnt even heard of it before, should they keep that to themselves incase they get shunned? Asking for a friend..

Great trip. I tried once with mine plus bike down a local river. Wasnt too keen on having the bike above my feet at the front though, had a slight fear of getting tangled in it if i tipped over. Which was looking likely at several points, taking both wheels rather than one off looks alot more stable !
    It is better with both wheels off to get in full paddle strokes.
    But the Alpacka Caribou is designed especially to carry weights up front from full Fat bikes with several days worth of gear and food to even hunted big game.
    It felt really stable

Journal Entries

I thought Crow was going to be the first to have a fat bike on a pack raft but you beat him to it.

I’ve not read the book or seen the film so no judging from me
    John

The book includes a classic example of the traditional British approach to 'elfin safety. The children's father is abroad and sends a telegram in response to their mother's query on whether they should be allowed to go sailing (to save money on the telegram there's no punctuation): "BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS IF NOT DUFFERS WONT DROWN"

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    I thought Crow was going to be the first to have a fat bike on a pack raft but you beat him to it.
    I didn't know there was a race.
    I'll be taking me really fat bike on it next time.
    This one is just semi skimmed ;-)