Thread: Loch Arkaig

Default Loch Arkaig

So a friend and I are looking at heading up to Loch Arkaig in a few weeks,

our plan was to put in near Achnacarry and head roughly speaking towards the bothy at the other end. We have the week to do it, not too fussed if we don't make it up there, more interested in the journey. We plan to hammock/bivvy en route. Then, when we decide we're done, paddle back down the loch to the car.

So my questions:

Does this sound plausable or is it a blooming stupid idea?

Any hot tips on where to leave the car near Achnacarry?

Anything we need to see whilst we're there? (other than the Jacobean treasure, which we're sure to find )

Many thanks,

Edd

Hi Edd,

Welcome to Song of the paddle.

Certainly not a stupid idea, (I've done worse) quite plausible and one day each way for the Loch. Depending upon tea stops, head winds and lurking monsters.

No idea about parking but it is usually easy to abandon a car and find it when you return. In the past I have used pub carparks after asking the owner and promising custom for a dinner and drinks on my return.

Apart from the Jacobean treasure, the country around would be my reward.

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Brilliant! Thank you for your response!

I maybe need to think of something else to add to the trip, i think i overestimated how long Arkaig would take, maybe ill add Lochy to the itinerary!

Thank you!

Edd

Hi Edd,

I don't know how much canoeing you have done or any previous outings. You could introduce yourself in the section for intro's.

There are a lot of very experienced paddlers on here and many with local knowledge. I've not paddled Arkaig but threatened to do so. I've paddled the Great Glen many times outside of midge season, usually the end of October.

Loch Lochy is a great place to paddle but it can get rough and windy.

Stay close to the shore wherever possible.

Have fun, be safe,

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Hello and Welcome!

There's a car park at the Eas Chia-aig waterfalls about half a km from the east end of the loch (where memory says the road is right next to the loch so launch should be OK), so you could always drop the canoe off at the shore and then park by the falls.

Like all big lochs, it'll be lovely on a calm day, and a place for the experienced only, or nobody(!), on a windy one. The north shore, with its mad winding little road, would be a safer option if the weather is changeable, due to the ability to be able to escape to the road if the wind gets up. However, the south shore would offer a wilder experience; there are quite a lot of small cottages and fishing huts/caravans on part of the north shore.

There's parking options the west end of the loch (literally end of the road, but a wee bit of a walk down to the water) normally used by fishermen but now the season is over it should be quiet and there's also the nature reserve at Muick which is on the 'north' side of the road but only a few meters from the water (I've not used it for access and don't recall how easy it is from there).

There's an old chapel and burial ground on an island at near the east end that'll be worth an explore.

Again as noted above (and not knowing your camping/canoeing experience) be very wary of high wind conditions particularly around this time of year and note temperatures at night are already dropping below zero in that part of the world.