Thread: Hou 16 prospector

Post Hou 16 prospector

There is a decent one for sale at a reasonable price and within reasonable driving distance (still 5 hours! Not much for sale in Scotland) from me.
    Overkill for a family canoe? Will get paddled as a 3 but powered mostly by myself.

I take it that it would perform well in moving water. What about flat water? From what I have seen of the hull, it would appear to be reasonable flat but with some tracking ability at both ends?

Anything else I have seen is either too far away, or almost £200 more expensive and still a fair drive.

Thoughts? Feel free to take me apart... I use a well-known climbing forums in which shooting newbies in flames is a recognised sport. I am tough skinned and really not that touchy

We kinda don't take people apart, lot less ego/testosterone/competition on here. Maybe not, maybe just more manners.

I found my old NC16 prospector a bit of a handful solo except on flat water and when the wind was low. The NC16 turned ok if leaned but I found it took a lot more work than my 15ft MR Reflection so it got bumped as it wasn't getting used. Loaded, it tracks pretty ok on flatwater, no worries there at all, it gets a bit of a handful in the wind, not insurmountable, just more work and I'm a lazy git!

It's a good size for 3 of you, especially as kids tend to grow like weeds so will do you well. Also works great for 2 person moving water where both are active paddlers so it's maybe not a bad choice. Not sure I'd go under 16ft for yourself and 2 growing kids.
    Cheers,

Alan

I have a Hou Prospector and took it down the Tiber earlier this year. I managed to not fall out of it and attribute that more to the boats ability to handle moving water than my skills so highly recommend it. There were a lot of flat water sections and I wasn't at the back of the field so again can recommend it. I got mine from http://www.nicholend.co.uk ex hire boat but only six months old. In wind it can get blown about a bit but I just dig in and switch paddling from side to side rather than do steering strokes.

Just checking whether you are aware that the Hou 16 and the Hou Prospector are two different models. Following the links should lead you to short videos by Dave Rossetter about both boats.

I have a Prospector and it's great on white water and super dry. It tracks absolutely fine on the flat, but I took it down the Ardeche over the summer and struggled noticeably more than others to control it in wind, especially wind from the side - but I was also the only woman in a group of blokes. Mine came from Nichol End too.

Edit: just noticed that Hou themselves call it the Hou 16 Prospector, d'oh... in any case it's around 15'7".
    Last edited by aletthebrave; 3rd-October-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aletthebrave View Post

Edit: just noticed that Hou themselves call it the Hou 16 Prospector, d'oh... in any case it's around 15'7".
    I found it a tad confusing initially too so I just refer to it as a Hou prospector. I have to admit to being over 15 stone (probably 16 now ) so mine may sit lower in the water.

My local Canoe shop has an ex hire Hou Prospector fitted with a third seat for sale for £595, might be a very long trip for you though as it's Northamptonshire.

My only experience with the Hou Prospector is paddling one on their lake, it tracked very well, better than my own Old Town Camper and had excellent initial stability. They use a mix of Hou Prospectors and 16s on the river here which is prettty much all flat water.

Quote Originally Posted by ictoaun View Post
    I have to admit to being over 15 stone (probably 16 now ) so mine may sit lower in the water.
    If you're big enough the Hou Prospector can work even as a solo. It works best as a tandem with a good load: two larger adults or equivalent.

The hull is very flat bottomed so primary stability is no issue... but they are short and wide at the waterline, and the rocker profile means it's easy to have an effective waterline length of < 14'... so their directional stability is dependent on having enough weight on board to get beyond the 3" waterline.

Take a look at the other boats in the Hou range: they all have something different to offer.

whereabouts exactly? I'm looking at one in NW England with 2 seats at £700. new fitting seat around £90 by the time I have all the parts. I'll probably already be £70 in diesel by the time I make the return journey so it will probably not be worth it but it's worth calculating!

Itís a long way from you but the whole Hou range will be on test at Killington Lake off the M6 on Saturday. By way of comparison, so will we (Apache) and also Fyne Boats, so you will have a chance to paddle at least a dozen different shapes and sizes of canoes in one place.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Only Saturday? Can only do Sunday

Only Saturday I'm afraid. 10am to 2pm.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Pity, but thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by French Erick View Post
    whereabouts exactly? I'm looking at one in NW England with 2 seats at £700. new fitting seat around £90 by the time I have all the parts. I'll probably already be £70 in diesel by the time I make the return journey so it will probably not be worth it but it's worth calculating!

Canoe2, Rushden Lakes, Northamptonshire. https://www.canoe2.co.uk/canoe-shop It says it's only 5 months old, I've seen it and it looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl Paddler View Post
    Canoe2, Rushden Lakes, Northamptonshire. https://www.canoe2.co.uk/canoe-shop It says it's only 5 months old, I've seen it and it looks pretty good.
    It does look good but it is that bit too far! I thought Northamptonshire was a bit closer to Yorkshire. I don't know England south of Malham except for the Motorways to go home. Thanks for the tip though.

Purchased from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hou-Prosp...53.m1438.l2649
    The name came up a few times in my posts. Prepare for a whole load of questions about placing that 3rd seat.

Quote Originally Posted by French Erick View Post
    Purchased from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hou-Prosp...53.m1438.l2649
    The name came up a few times in my posts. Prepare for a whole load of questions about placing that 3rd seat.
    That's good news Erick, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Hou will answer any questions you have about fitting extras, check out the contact on their website.