Thread: Wye Trip - ADVICE NEEDED!!!

Question Wye Trip - ADVICE NEEDED!!!

Hi everyone, Iím planning a trip on the Wye, two days mid-Oct, ending at Symonds Yat. Iíve taken everything required into account (camping, kit, experience etc) however someone mentioned that given the hot summer and little rainfall we might struggle with water levels. Any advice from those of you that have experience on this stretch?

Thanks in advance!

Nathan

That river goes up and down like the proverbial "fiddler's elbow" - this summer was very dry but over the last month we have had plenty of rain - so for level guidance watch the forecasts for the four or five days before your trip.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

You can find river level data on this site, an interactive map shows the gauging stations round England and Wales.

I guess it depends what you like .... I was there last weekend and the gauge at Redbrook was at about 2.0 metres - the river was a little boily but carried us along nicely - and we stayed out of the trees. There were no rocks to be seen at Symonds Yat rapids - and now we're down to 0.6 metres - about the level at which I ask whether it is worth paddling (emphasise the word "I").

Hope you enjoy one of the nicest bit of gentle river going and the sun shines on you.
    You don't stop playing because you get old - you get old because you stop playing.

Hello and Welcome!

Anything over 0.3 at Bredwardine just needs a little careful navigation to avoid being grounded. Below that, you might occasionally get stuck but I've never really had a problem as low as 0.2.

As others say, its more about the rain between now and then, than about the summer already gone.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle