Thread: Hi again from French Erick

Default Hi again from French Erick

I suppose that I better reintroduce myself after having disappeared for 7 years.

I first got into the idea of playing in liquid water in 2008. I was Glasgow bound. The weather was wet and I was a very frustrated climber.
    Climbing is still my main hobby (all types). I was after bouncy stuff. I suddenly appeared on forum, asked lots of questions, found and OC1, met with some kind mentors, willing kayakers to accept me in their midst and started going out a fair bit. I paddled regularly for 3 years managing to not swim too much on rivers up to easy Gr4.

Then children arrived. in 2010-11, Child one and climbing did not quite managed to stop me from paddling but it was limited. June 2011, I became a dad at home for a year. August 2012, I got myself a job in the Inverness area. Managed some more outings but becoming sparse (did manage, the Etive and the Ochy).
    Then I dropped completely out (kept all the kit though) when Child 2 arrived. It was hard enough to keep up the climbing. Hunting for a house, finding a house, getting established...

Now Child one is 7 and a half, Child 2 is 4 and they love wild camping. We had a few camps, but carrying the stuff for 3 was back breaking!
    Then I thought, canoeing is the answer. Choose nice, accessible put-ins, load a boat and off we go.
    Sourced a local boat I can borrow easily and had an absolute ball, and more importantly, so did the kids!

Having not paddled in a few years, it all came back and I realised that I have missed it!

I want a big boat for family outing but I will also make an effort to go back bouncing on WW, hopefully once a month-once I renewed contacts or met new people to go with. I have negotiated that Sundays are my days every weekend so 3 weekends climbing for 1 paddling (the Wife is really understanding I have to admit).

You have read it all...well done! A bit of a novel here. So looking forward to getting a boat, paddling it with kids and hopefully meet some of you guys in the process.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Bienvenue, French Erick.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Good to have you back.
    John

Aye, good to see you back. I have had a similar drop out of paddling, going back to winter climbing (seen you a lot on the climbing forums) and for the past five years srt caving has dominated my life. My OC 1 days are done. All the usual crowd we used to paddle with gave up the flag.
    I've had to drop kayaking too due to shoulder injury, but thankfully the 5 (or was it 6?) spinal fractures haven't slowed me down☺

Drop me a line of you ever fancy one of the 'southern' rivers...
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1 View Post
    Aye, good to see you back. I have had a similar drop out of paddling, going back to winter climbing (seen you a lot on the climbing forums) and for the past five years srt caving has dominated my life. My OC 1 days are done. All the usual crowd we used to paddle with gave up the flag.
    I've had to drop kayaking too due to shoulder injury, but thankfully the 5 (or was it 6?) spinal fractures haven't slowed me down☺

Drop me a line of you ever fancy one of the 'southern' rivers...
    Yes, let's hook up for an adventurous winter day. Fancy Tir Nan Og in Knoydart starting with a canoe traverse? or if you feel like seconding VIII, I have my eyes on something on Slioch (thereby cutting probably 4 hours to my previous 17h day). Needles to say, traverses are by night!
    Canoeing and winter climbing in a day...that would be something to remember

Bonjour, et nous saluons le retour

A winter assault on Slioch after a crossing of Loch Maree in the dark certainly sounds like an adventure! As you say, the walk in is a long 'un. (I also recognise the name from lurking on other forums)

Taking the kids wild camping on the lochs of the NW is a fantastic thing to do; have a look for our "Pirate" blogs for ideas of locations, though you probably know them already.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle