Thread: Signs of the Times on the Nene

Default Signs of the Times on the Nene

Denford War Memorial was multi-tasking in the sunshine with cyclists, paddlers and fisherfolk quietly getting on with life

Lovely clear water in the backwater

Under the A14

This bit of Northamptonshire is littered with disused railways, not just from the Beeching cuts but the demise of the ironstone mines locally

At the end of the backwater Hippo carries out a dynamic risk assessment on the mill chute..........

......which ticked every box in the beggaring about column

The world famous Nine Arches Bridge at Thrapston

As we portaged into Islip backwater two guys came running up asking us to rescue something important they were using to stop up a sluice and had dropped into the river..........I reckon the 'elf-n-safety guys would have something to say about their working practice after we gave it back to them - but not us - stones and glass-houses and all that!

Domestic! We were alerted by some choice language and we deduced that the lady in front was not pushing the barge-pole to her husband's satisfaction and he in turn was not operating the engine and tiller to her's..........we awaited the completion of their 17-point turn...

We dropped into Brancey Brook

Looking great in the sunshine....

A year round play spot

But it's a delightful backwater

The backwater rejoins the navigation at Peartree Farm - scene of the annual Burns Night on the Nene shenanigans

Wadenhoe Church dominates the next couple of miles

Journey's End - Wadenhoe

New signs have gone up all over Wadenhoe - rather cowardly the perpetrators haven't divulged to us oiks who they are or by what authority they have erected them..........we somehow managed to survive the experience

As did the three old ladies with walking sticks who also bravely accessed the riverbank without incident!

A trawl of parish council minutes established that these signs have been put up by the Wadenhoe Trust at the behest of the Environment Agency - apparently out of concern that swimmers and paddlers might be swept into the lock and weir - there have of course been absolutely no such incidents but it's a sign of the times that a simple 'Be aware of steep banks and strong currents' wasn't enough.

That's all folks - thanks for reading - hope you enjoyed our sunny tale,

Dick
    Last edited by Patterdale Paddler; 28th-September-2018 at 06:37 PM.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Another great adventure on a sunny summers day.

Nick

Lovely, thanks for sharing
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Nice gents - those signs at Waddenhoe, do they extend along the stretch of river meadow upstream from the pub - where one can occasionally find a moored black and gray narrowboat?
    Up a lazy river by the old mill run..the lazy, lazy river in the noon day sun

Lovely stuff. :-)

Fantastic, Im looking forward to looking around that part of the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by neil. View Post
    Nice gents - those signs at Waddenhoe, do they extend along the stretch of river meadow upstream from the pub - where one can occasionally find a moored black and gray narrowboat?
    I decided not to bore everyone with my research Neil but they have no legal basis whatsoever.....the signs are also up in the pub garden....so your narrowboat would be dangerous to access from their level, grassed garden!

No signs up near your favoured mooring.....let us know when you’re back and we’ll pop in to drink your beer!
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Nice blogg and pictures, Dick.

You had the weather as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Weekender View Post
    Fantastic, I’m looking forward to looking around that part of the river.
    Martin, This is a lovely area. There is an Island, just down from Peartree farm, had an "overnighter" there. twas good.

Simms ..

Need to have a trip out and have a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh that looked lovely. Must go out again soon. You've inspired me once again.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Journal Entries

Looks like you are getting better weather than we are and taking advantage of it too.
    John

Brill thank you......isn't such signage, littering in itself, if illegal?

Great blog and super pictures. Last time I was at Wadenhoe someone had removed the 'no' from those signs, leaving them stating river access permitted. Canoe2 the local hire company seem to use the pub as a lunch stop and you'll often see several of their canoes being launched next to the no access signs.

Excellent blog and some cracking pictures giving a real feel for an area I know absolutely nothing about.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Lovely day to enjoy a familiar part of the river.

Funny how my eyesight struggles with some signs, especially those that clearly have no legal standing...

Denford War Memorial was multi-tasking in the sunshine with cyclists, paddlers and fisherfolk quietly getting on with life....

Looks to me like just another bad day, with a Blue Moon on the rise, in Sandford on Thames!

(If confused, see the film Hot Fuzz for details...)
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 3rd-October-2018 at 11:45 PM.
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>