Thread: Hou chieftain

Default Hou chieftain

I cannot find anything on the hou website about the chieftain canoe. Anyone would mind enlightening me? There is one I have my eyes on, set up as a 3 man (aiming at family outing with 2 kids paddling). I am assuming it is a 16 or 17ft from set up and picks.
    Erick

What I mean is that it is significantly more expensive then other canoes going secondhand. Why would I pay more? What am I getting for that money. I haven't paddled for a few years, and then I only paddled ridiculous WW OC1. Never owned or spent time in a trad boat.
    Recently borrowed a mad river 16ft thing to take my kids (7 and 1/2 and 4) camping on an island on Cam loch. They, and I, loved it so much that we want to have our own canoe and go as often as possible.
    Any technical explanation as to the price (precise figure irrelevant, just double other stuff) would be appreciated. It will be a canoe appreciated but not particularly cherished. Kids bad paddling (the 4 years old was really keen to try hard and the 7 years collected "interesting wood").

My only concern is that I have to move the beast on my own. Ready to pay a bit more if it means it is a bit lighter, but not if it is fragile.
    Cheers the noo
    Erick

Journal Entries

Dunno, it's quite a new model so not much info. As for cost, there may not be much demand for them or they may be slightly trickier to produce which bumps the price up or they are a bit bigger... I had a 16ft prospector, it was at the top end of what I'd like to move on my own.

The dearer boats aren't too fragile and if I'm honest my two drifted away from canoeing quite quickly. If the Chieftain is 17ft I'd be wary. Just my opinion though.
    Cheers,

Alan

I've not heard of this model, it must be very new. Does it use the Robson Armalite material or something, which would be more expensive. Hou are very approachable, I'd just ask them for the full specification, dimensions, hull shape, rocker and especially materials. You could then share it on here for opinions if you wished.

Thanks, I'll try to dig into this some more. Probably means I'll miss on that specific opportunity but I'd rather not rush into a big purchase. Boats are not cheap...but if I can use it for a long time it'll be worth it (and I have a good covered storage space for it).
    Chainsaw: I thought they might come off the boil soon-ish but even if I get that level of response 10 times... it'll have been worth it!

Journal Entries

Yep but they come back in their late teens
    Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    Yep but they come back in their late teens
    And it forms a bond between you of shared experiences that they love to keep renewing.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    And it forms a bond between you of shared experiences that they love to keep renewing.
    100% Was round at a friends house a couple of weeks ago to do some DIY and the 'kids,' now 22, mentioned this trip and how it was great!

My two still talk about wallabies on Loch Lomond and toasting naan bread on Loch Ard
    Cheers,

Alan

9. Default

The chieftain is a very new model to Hoū canoes. I remember them only a couple months ago launching it on a Facebook post. Might be worth contacting Hoū. They seem like a good bunch from what I have heard. If itís anything like my Hoū 15 it will be a cracking boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Love a lot trust a few but always paddle your own canoe

Once you get above 15' you're getting into the size of craft where lighter materials really matters. OK, it's significant even in a 10' white water boat... but at 16' or 17' you may find yourself deciding to take the kids for walks rather than lug it around!

Ps. Don't worry about fragility - recreational canoes are never fragile, and for the places you'd go with a couple of primary aged kids ANY material will be tough enough!

So I saw a chieftain right beside the prospector I ended up buying. It is the same shape but probably a foot and a bit bigger and proportionally wider. It was too expensive for me, and slightly too heavy for me on my tod. It looked really good and probably a better family vessel. I did not paddle it because, i couldn't afford it and did not want to be tempted, but it was also fairly windy and choppy on the Derwent water. The trying run of the prospector was enough, I wouldn't have fancied the same run on a bigger boat.