Thread: Dutch Oven Shoulder of lamb

Smile Dutch Oven Shoulder of lamb

Ok, so this was a "garden test" of our new 10 ltr dutch oven, using our small fire pan.

The joint was a 3kg boneless shoulder of lamb. Browned on all sides, then once cool, seasoned with Thyme, Rosemary and Lavender, mixed with butter, rubbed over and some stuffed in the joint.
    Cooked in Animal Feed Hay, (layer about 5 cm of hay on the bottom of the oven, place the meat in the middle then cover with more hay) for 25 mins per 500g at about 200c (400f), (it took approximately 2.5 hours for this size joint). leave to rest for 25 mins. If there are any juices in the bottom of the oven, these can be used for gravy.

Oh the flavour's, the wife wants it every Sunday, now .

** Use Animal feed hay, as this will be free from chemicals, fertilizers and pesticides.**

2.5 hours later.

This is one for you Bonarmbj

Simms ..

Oh, thanks for that, just as I was going to bed. Now I'm hungry, and drooling slightly. Though the latter may be an age thing, I guess...

Look forward to seeing that on the river banks one day, you'll be fighting us off!

Silly question perhaps; why the hay ??

Oh yes..... now that is cooking
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Oh, thanks for that, just as I was going to bed. Now I'm hungry, and drooling slightly. Though the latter may be an age thing, I guess...
    Look forward to seeing that on the river banks one day, you'll be fighting us off!
    Mal,

Sorry for the hunger pangs. As for the drooling, it's not a age thing yet

I'm starting to make some ground, convincing karen to come on the "Hallowscreen" get-together, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Oh yes..... now that is cooking
    Thank you Mark. It's just expanding the idea that with Dutch ovens you can make a "Sunday Roast" on a campfire.

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    Silly question perhaps; why the hay ??
    BYT, It just adds a "hayie" flavour to the meat, a bit like smoking meats etc.
    Simms ..

Quote Originally Posted by Simms View Post
    BYT, It just adds a "hayie" flavour to the meat, a bit like smoking meats etc.
    Oh, OK. I wondered if something was needed to keep the joint from touching the pan. So If I don't fancy a hayie flavour, I can omit.

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    Oh, OK. I wondered if something was needed to keep the joint from touching the pan. So If I don't fancy a hayie flavour, I can omit.
    Yes you could, but you’d need a trivit of some type.
    Simms ..

Quote Originally Posted by Simms View Post
    Yes you could, but you’d need a trivit of some type.
    OK, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post

Adrian, that's the next challenge and the hay ice cream look interesting..

All,

There a good youtube site, Townends. He's an American showing "early settler" cooking, like 18th century KFC, i kid you not .

https://youtu.be/GsyjNef2ydQ

He also used a "Cook Pot", or as we know it, "Dutch Oven" .
    Last edited by Simms; 29th-September-2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Added comment
    Simms ..

Simms,
    "Ya' bats'd ye!"
    Having just donned ma' nightcap and lit the candle for ma fair trip upstairs, tae the land of nod....I unfortunately, stumbled across yer piics fella!

There'll now not be any sleep fae me tonight!

Keep ''em coming!

I'm firing up a Brunswick Stew tomorrow (which is now later today) ...and will try to keep it very much authentic, else I might have sk8r hounding me down otherwise!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

I just knew that there would be no sleep tonight!.....

Now, having made it to the land of nod, and tried very much to count numerous imaginary sheep leaping over a fence.... Which, I doubt very much will ever work for me!... (Due to multiple Lamb recipes all to ready at hand! )

Probably best now that I post something that might help me sleep a little better....

Such as a Whole Leg of Lamb, Baked in Hay!

Heading happily towards my scratcher now!

.....and very much looking forward to our next culinary canoe-meet!

With best regards,
    Mark

MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    Simms,
    "Ya' bats'd ye!"
    Having just donned ma' nightcap and lit the candle for ma fair trip upstairs, tae the land of nod....I unfortunately, stumbled across yer piics fella!

There'll now not be any sleep fae me tonight!

Keep ''em coming!

I'm firing up a Brunswick Stew tomorrow (which is now later today) ...and will try to keep it very much authentic, else I might have sk8r hounding me down otherwise!
    I just knew that there would be no sleep tonight!.....

Now, having made it to the land of nod, and tried very much to count numerous imaginary sheep leaping over a fence.... Which, I doubt very much will ever work for me!... (Due to multiple Lamb recipes all to ready at hand! )

Probably best now that I post something that might help me sleep a little better....

Such as a Whole Leg of Lamb, Baked in Hay!

Heading happily towards my scratcher now!

.....and very much looking forward to our next culinary canoe-meet!

With best regards,
    Mark[/QUOTE]

My deepest apologies my good man, but at least it's no beauty sleep that's being delayed . Were all the sheep three legged ones ?

Brunswick Stew, um .... as i have an hour of penance left, i'll have to research this scrumptious sounding culinary offering.

At the moment Hallowscreen is sounding good and Karen is becoming more interested in this escapade.

So, God and Wife willing, we will be meeting soon again.
    Simms ..

The deed is now done my good friend, and I feel now that I may have surpassed my culinary ambitions yet so far! ( ...although that's very much down to personal taste! )

If this one tastes as good tomorrow as it did today......Then I'll be taking this one on tour! All I need now is a decent excuse!

Pics will naturally follow, you have been warned..........
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 2nd-October-2018 at 01:41 AM.

MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    The deed is now done my good friend, and I feel now that I may have surpassed my culinary ambitions yet so far! ( ...although that's very much down to personal taste! )

If this one tastes as good tomorrow as it did today......Then I'll be taking this one on tour! All I need now is a decent excuse!

Pics will naturally follow, you have been warned..........
    Well Mark, by your enthusiasm it sound like you have, yet again, added another culinary masterpiece to your "backwoods" recipes

There's and idea "Backwoods Master Chef" ....... without the SPAM

A couple of years ago we camped and made a chilli, which we ate and added to over a few days. By the last day, the chilli was an absolute delight ..... Never managed to reproduce it again .

Another idea for you is that i always cook stews/chillies with Wychwood Brewery "Hobgoblin" , when we next meet, i'll have to make this for all.

Looking forward to the pics

Si
    Simms ..

You don't even need to be all that fussy puttng embers on top in fairness, this is a rolled shoulder of lamb done with sweet potato and green beans halfway up Loch Affric last year.

Shoulder seems to lend itself to this style of cooking. I reckon a nice fatty cut of pork would render beautifully in a pot like this too.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Quote Originally Posted by stinkwheel View Post
    You don't even need to be all that fussy puttng embers on top in fairness, this is a rolled shoulder of lamb done with sweet potato and green beans halfway up Loch Affric last year.

Shoulder seems to lend itself to this style of cooking. I reckon a nice fatty cut of pork would render beautifully in a pot like this too.
    Oh yes, now we're talking. Lamb does seem to work well and a nice pork joint should work be as good .... that's the next try
    Simms ..