Thread: 2018/9 Barrow Classic SIX Winter Race Series

Default 2018/9 Barrow Classic SIX Winter Race Series

Just putting this up here in case anyone fances a race/pootle around Barrow:

I'll be putting an appearance in at some of them, and happy to 'organise' camping if anyones want to make an overnighter event of it.

The racing is serious at the front, not so much for us tail-enders.

Cheers
    Jon

Hope to join you on at least one Jon. Not sure about camping over on the Friday night - getting up early for a race after a few beers round the camp fire might be more of a challenge than the race!

First race this coming weekend (6th Oct) - early days weather not looking so good:

• Winds from the NNW 32 km/h
    • Gusts: 50 km/h

• Max UV Index: 1 (Low)
    • Thunderstorms: 20%
    • Precipitation: 6 mm
    • Rain: 6 mm
    • Snow: 0 CM
    • Ice: 0 mm
    • Hours of Precipitation: 3.5 hrs
    • Hours of Rain: 3.5 hrs

May need to get the brolly out for this one.....

Excellent event. Regrettably don't expect to be able to make it this season, though I will try.

Impcanoe the Champ

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    First race this coming weekend (6th Oct) ... May need to get the brolly out for this one.....
    Are you allowed to use a sail Jon?

I can't make it to the Oct race but I've ring fenced the Nov race in my diary.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Just a couple of race 1 happy snaps ...

not much water comnig over the weir ... more dropping from the skies ...

All a wee bit overgrown with that nasty invasive floating weed stuff!

Made for a bit of a narrow channel at the start.

The peeps in the wenonah must have a huge cupboard full of Barrow race victors mugs.

After the race a couple of racers being tempted for a wee spin to the dark side, undaunted by the lingering pitter pater of rain.

And of course to finish...

At the end of the session, afore the prize mug giving, Colin made a wee speach indicating tomorrow Sun 07th Oct, was his last day runninng the pub. Its going to close 'for a couple of weeks' as new peeps take over. He still retains the field until the end of the year and his discussions with the holding brewery/organisation are that it will remain canoist friendly, but its also something to be confirmed with the new tennants.

Interesting times.

I can't make it to the Oct race but I've ring fenced the Nov race in my diary.
    Mike, just checked diary and the Nov is the same weekend as Hallowscreen on the Idle, so I'll not be at Barrow m'self, but its a good crowd and a fun morning! The race will still be going ahead even if the pub is still closed.

Excellent event. Regrettably don't expect to be able to make it this season, though I will try.
    No worries Peter, I know its a bit of a trek and you have many other commitments. Great if you can make one though :-)

I'll lob up a Kaptain Slow target time in case anyone wants to rub my nose in my .... slowness.

Cheers
    Jon

Keeping up with the fine ol' Liffey tradition of "Not Last" my provisional time of 25min 22 secs was indeed 'not last' - although in the category of MC1 (Open) I was last ... and first... so pretty sure that doesn't count.
    On the plus side I get much more paddle time for my money than the fastest K1 time of 14min 25secs.

The small print: My time was marginally faster than a couple of K1's, but in all fairness they were in the U14s and U12s classes!

At the end of the session, afore the prize mug giving, Colin made a wee speach indicating tomorrow Sun 07th Oct, was his last day runninng the pub.
    Jon
    Sad to hear that Jon - hopefully nothing will change as far our use of the field and pub goes.

If the inspiring and expensive trophy from last season is intended to be an annual prize, I'd better start arranging security guards for its return!!

Impcanoe the champ

Quote Originally Posted by ictoaun View Post
    Sad to hear that Jon - hopefully nothing will change as far our use of the field and pub goes.
    Sad that Colin is moving on, a better welcome to paddlers could never be hoped for.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Sad that Colin is moving on, a better welcome to paddlers could never be hoped for.
    Very sad news, I was so looking forward to Colin's post paddle pub grub and to see the man himself.
    ... add to kit list ... stove, bacon, black pud, onion, mushroom, bread, ......
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

and to see the man himself.
    I believe the 'man himself' is still going to be around - he mentioned about a 'developing/supporting paddlesports in the area' remit. Also more free time to actually paddle himself. He's still happy to coach, but can not 'BC assess'.

Time will tell how canoe-friendly the pub will remain - if you are there for the Nov race and the pub's open, it'll be interesting to hear your views.

It would certainly be a shame if we loose access to the field....

Pirating Diana's SotP account briefly, I won't make it to tomorrow's Race due to excessive amounts of unnecessary treefelling after Storm Callum sabotaged my phone line and subsequently BT failing to correctly re-wire the new connector box ... told trees needed pruning/felling but maybe they didn't. I, my wife, Potty Paddlers Active Support (Diana) are now somewhat shattered & kapput ... I'm hoping the remaining ache in my left foot is not a return of last years gout
    ATB Potty

As posted above, I didn't make it to Barrow this month, fingers crossed for the next race ... did anyone get to this months race from here?
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Happy New Year everyone!

Just doing a quick bump in case there is any interest, as the next race is on the 12th Jan. Early days, but forecast is at least +ve (6deg). Unless weather looks really bad, I'd hope to be splashing about for this one.

With the Boathouse being closed, the Soar Bridge Inn is playing host and providing munchies, I think for the remaining 3 races.
    (29 Bridge St, Barrow upon Soar, Loughborough LE12 8PN)

At the Dec race people were still using the Boathouse car park tho.

It's deffo not a long race/paddle (~25-30mins actual race time- solo open) and opens are a minority, but I've enjoyed all the ones I've attended.
    Last edited by cankay.org.uk; 4th-January-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Chuffed to say number of Sotp Newbie Barrow Mugs is +1. Thanks Martin (Ictoaun) for popping down. Kinda eyed up the other open competition, and as the other 4 canoes were either 2 or 3 up and Martin's first Barrow race, we figured going tandem would be more interesting/comparative. Great news that in doing so we managed to maintain the high 'not last' aspiration. Actually as it's also our first time tandeming together, and Martin's first paddle since Halloscreen, on a race day with "possibly the lowest water level ever", we managed a pretty nippy 23min 5sec. Suspect we could have made up the 5 secs if not for pulling over for K1 and K2 WWRs. We were 6 mins adrift of the fastest 'C2’, but as that was also done in a WWR tandem, that's a kinda skewed comparison. Finished without barffing, a well deserved pat on the back to Martin, and a new pretty medal.

Next race: 9th Feb is a regional championship event, so could mean more participants.

No sign of anyone taking over the Boathouse Pub, which also means outside loo block is out of commission but Colin still has the field. So if the weather is good for the March event and peeops fancy popping up/down for the race and a afternoon/evening/Sunday paddle then camping over will be an option.

I'd be interested in coming down for the March one and a bit of a camp if there are others. I suspect my boat wouldn't be fast, even if I was, which I'm not.

Any chance of buddying up with someone looking for an overweight unfit paddler?
    I refuse to let the fact that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing hold me back.

Also would be interested in getting along for the March weekend

Any chance of buddying up with someone looking for an overweight unfit paddler?

Not really "looking for one", but happy enough to have a go tandem...........if thats what you meant?

You mean to say that people aren't actively seeking someone of my expertise/credentials?!

Well! On that basis, yes if you are happy to tandem then yes please, that'd be grand. I'll make sure I do a bit of training beforehand!

Yo Mark, Ben,
    Great to see you for March paddle if you make it :-).

Ben, If the weather is ok, I've no probs stopping for a spot of Sat overnighting, maybe evening paddle? - but we can hold off any plans on that front until we get a bit of a forecast :-).

Sounds good to me on all counts, either way will be a fun jaunt I'm sure.

Monthly bump as next race is on Sat 9th Feb - looking to be both breezy and busy, the latter 'cos its a "Regional Chamionship Race" whatever that is.

I've half a chance of making it
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Thinking of holding out for the March jaunt........

... me too, as I lose 3 teeth on Friday
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

One more race to go 9th March,

Although this is as much as a social as race, here are all the 'all-time' records for times that involve open canoes:

Mens C1 Open Time
    MC1 Open U12
    MC1 Open U14
    MC1 Open U16
    MC1 Open U18
    MC1 Open U23
    MC1 Open S 20:22:00
    MC1 Open V35
    MC1 Open V40
    MC1 Open V45
    MC1 Open V50 18:33:00
    MC1 Open V55 17:57:00
    MC1 Open V60 20:02:00
    MC1 Open V65 15:53:00
    MC1 Open V70
    MC1 Open V75 21:09:00
    Womens C1 Open Time
    WC1 Open U12
    WC1 Open U14 26:37:00
    WC1 Open U16
    WC1 Open U18
    WC1 Open U23
    WC1 Open S 22:20:00
    WC1 Open V35
    WC1 Open V40
    WC1 Open V45
    WC1 Open V50
    WC1 Open V55
    WC1 Open V60
    WC1 Oene V65
    WC1 Open V70
    WC1 Open V75
    Mens C2 Open Time
    MC2 Open U2 22:56:00
    MC2 Open U4
    MC2 Open U6
    MC2 Open U8
    MC2 Open U10 20:28:00
    MC2 Open U12
    MC2 Open U14 18:50:00
    MC2 Open U16 16:27:00
    MC2 Open U18 16:57:00
    MC2 Open U23
    MC2 Open S 17:24:00
    MC2 Open V35 21:07:00
    MC2 Open V40
    MC2 Open V45 25:51:00
    MC2 Open V50 18:45:00
    MC2 Open V55 21:49:00
    MC2 Open V60
    MC2 Open V65
    MC2 Open V70
    Womens C2 Open Time
    WC2 Open U2
    WC2 Open U4
    WC2 Open U6
    WC2 Open U8
    WC2 Open U10 22:51:00
    WC2 Open U12
    WC2 Open U14
    WC2 Open U16
    WC2 Open U18 20:37:00
    WC2 Open U23
    WC2 Open S 19:18:00
    WC2 Open V35 18:30:00
    WC2 Open V40
    WC2 Open V45
    WC2 Open V50
    WC2 Open V55 26:18:00
    WC2 Open V60
    WC2 Open V65
    WC2 Open V70
    MxC2 Open Age Time
    MxC2 Open U4 19:59:00
    MxC2 Open U8 28:34:00
    MxC2 Open U10
    MxC2 Open U12 03:20:00
    MxC2 Open U14
    MxC2 Open U16
    MxC2 Open U18
    MxC2 Open U23 19:22:00
    MxC2 Open S 27:07:00
    MxC2 Open V35 18:09:00
    MxC2 Open V40 21:33:00
    MxC2 Open V40+Dog 26:21:00
    MxC2 Open V45
    MxC2 Open V50 24:15:00
    MxC2 Open V55 33:32:00
    MxC2 Open V60 13:41:00
    MxC2 Open V65
    MxC2 Open V70
    C3 Open Time
    Womens C3 37:05:00
    Mixed C3 22:45:00
    Mens C3 27:16:00

If March appeals, you can use pretty much any craft. I just C&P the fastest times for open classes incase you fancied targetting a specific slot/time. Very much weather and flow influenced anyway.

Couple of photos from 'Race Day 5' - may spot some blue sky in some of the photos, but kinda windy day meant few peeps and only one canoe!

Canal side was nicely shaded, although ...

even the locals where wondering what weirdoes would paddle on such a day.

At least I was not the only nutter, and as much as the canoe catches the wind, I was happy to have more a hull under me that these WWR thingies.

Plenty of water over the weir.

Now just some milling about in the 'pool' waiting for my number to be called. If you look closely you'll spot a few slalom kayaks in with the WWR's and a sea kayak.

Did have second, and then third thoughts when I first arrived and looked at the waves, but kinda glad I hung around.

Early days forecast for the final race next Sat (9th Mar) is looking ok ish... although both Fri and Sat nights are promising rain.

Src: https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2642096

So doing some Maths the average SOTP open canoe race time is 24min 8 secs - here is a little something I've got to give away to the fastest non Jon of the series/weekend (i'll tidy it up a bit before the w/e)

There is only the one so any tandem crew will have to split in half. If there do happen to have both solo's and tandems come out to play next weekend, then to be 'fair'-ish, I think I need to multiple the tandem time by 1.1 (will confirm with any SOTPpers before hand on the day) as having two engines is a bit of a advantage.

Changes are this is in addition to a mug or medal!

More than anything though, these events are a bit of fun :-).

Probably not be staying overnight on this one.......

More than anything though, these events are a bit of fun :-).
    Not be much fun if I don't win a mug!

Apologies, but not able to make this after all, just realised that i'm "on call" this weekend.

Not be much fun if I get to Barrow then have to head back to Leeds or beyond.

Hope you all have a good day!

Apologies, but not able to make this after all, just realised that i'm "on call" this weekend.
    No worries & thanks for letting me know. Sure we'll catch up again sooner or later.

Forecast now seems to be a mix of sun, gusty winds and showers - so that covers most possibilities.

Fingers crossed I'll finally get to one of these on Sat ... unsure as yet if I'll be paddling tandem or solo, we'll see. Jon, where do folks meet up, still at the Boat House, if not where?
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Hi Mike,

Great if you make it over.

where do folks meet up, still at the Boat House, if not where?
    So far yes, peeps have been using the Boathouse car park, as of last race there was no sign of anyone taking the pub on - so that's where I'll be heading for.
    People also use the Soar Bridge Inn car park, the space infront of the Indian restaurant, or at worst the field.

'Signing in' and partaking of bacon or sausage cobs and coffee is done in a room at the back of the Soar Bridge Inn - same side of the river as the boathouse, about 40 yards up the other side of the main road.

Hi Mike, Great if you make it over. ...
    Thanks Jon, See you on Saturday ... decision made, we are running tandem but who'd be Potty enough to get in a boat with me, other than Diana? ... Missey
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Andy and I are in. I might have to set two alarm clocks for this...

Happy to be up front Mike ... I've already been given the 'little bit crazy' tag at least once this year ... I may as well have fun living up to the name and join you ��

Quote Originally Posted by Missey View Post
    ... 'little bit crazy'
    ... more like completely potty ... Saturday will tell
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Awsome to be having some company :-). Weather forecast seems to have improved a bit too. Happy to jump back onto the water after the results if anyone wants to go for a more gentlemanly paddle afterwards.

See yus Sat!.

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    Thanks Jon, See you on Saturday ... decision made, we are running tandem but who'd be Potty enough to get in a boat with me, other than Diana? ... Missey
    ... and then there were two ... it seems that we'll have a C3 on Saturday
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I'm going to have to give this a miss after all :-(

Have fun!

Oooo this time tomorrow .... i'll be psyching myself up for .. the first bacon butty of the day.

No worries Ben, sure we'll catch up on the water soon.

Jon, one of my crew has to be back home to a deadline ... what time does the main event inc awards normally conclude ... we might need to revise our paddling plan.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Interesting and fun day today, the torrential rain on the way down to Barrow upon Soar eased off on arrival. The day turned out to be very pleasant, we weren't rained on at all, but somebody had turned the fans up to max. It was pretty windy. Our C3 made a good choice, 3 engines and a bit of weight so the wind didn't affect us quite as quickly/as much as it might. A C2 was a good choice too, Waylandsmithy (Darren) & Andy were 1st in mens C2
    A super friendly and well organised event, we all won medals or mugs, which ever of the two you'd like
    Will we be returning, oh yes, we will try to make it to more of the winter race events when the 2019-2020 season commences.
    Many thanks for flagging this up Jon

Photo by Waylandsmithy.
    Last edited by Potty Paddler; 11th-March-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read