Thread: 2018/9 Barrow Classic SIX Winter Race Series

Default 2018/9 Barrow Classic SIX Winter Race Series

Just putting this up here in case anyone fances a race/pootle around Barrow:

I'll be putting an appearance in at some of them, and happy to 'organise' camping if anyones want to make an overnighter event of it.

The racing is serious at the front, not so much for us tail-enders.

Cheers
    Jon

Hope to join you on at least one Jon. Not sure about camping over on the Friday night - getting up early for a race after a few beers round the camp fire might be more of a challenge than the race!

First race this coming weekend (6th Oct) - early days weather not looking so good:

• Winds from the NNW 32 km/h
    • Gusts: 50 km/h

• Max UV Index: 1 (Low)
    • Thunderstorms: 20%
    • Precipitation: 6 mm
    • Rain: 6 mm
    • Snow: 0 CM
    • Ice: 0 mm
    • Hours of Precipitation: 3.5 hrs
    • Hours of Rain: 3.5 hrs

May need to get the brolly out for this one.....

Excellent event. Regrettably don't expect to be able to make it this season, though I will try.

Impcanoe the Champ

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    First race this coming weekend (6th Oct) ... May need to get the brolly out for this one.....
    Are you allowed to use a sail Jon?

I can't make it to the Oct race but I've ring fenced the Nov race in my diary.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Just a couple of race 1 happy snaps ...

not much water comnig over the weir ... more dropping from the skies ...

All a wee bit overgrown with that nasty invasive floating weed stuff!

Made for a bit of a narrow channel at the start.

The peeps in the wenonah must have a huge cupboard full of Barrow race victors mugs.

After the race a couple of racers being tempted for a wee spin to the dark side, undaunted by the lingering pitter pater of rain.

And of course to finish...

At the end of the session, afore the prize mug giving, Colin made a wee speach indicating tomorrow Sun 07th Oct, was his last day runninng the pub. Its going to close 'for a couple of weeks' as new peeps take over. He still retains the field until the end of the year and his discussions with the holding brewery/organisation are that it will remain canoist friendly, but its also something to be confirmed with the new tennants.

Interesting times.

I can't make it to the Oct race but I've ring fenced the Nov race in my diary.
    Mike, just checked diary and the Nov is the same weekend as Hallowscreen on the Idle, so I'll not be at Barrow m'self, but its a good crowd and a fun morning! The race will still be going ahead even if the pub is still closed.

Excellent event. Regrettably don't expect to be able to make it this season, though I will try.
    No worries Peter, I know its a bit of a trek and you have many other commitments. Great if you can make one though :-)

I'll lob up a Kaptain Slow target time in case anyone wants to rub my nose in my .... slowness.

Cheers
    Jon

Keeping up with the fine ol' Liffey tradition of "Not Last" my provisional time of 25min 22 secs was indeed 'not last' - although in the category of MC1 (Open) I was last ... and first... so pretty sure that doesn't count.
    On the plus side I get much more paddle time for my money than the fastest K1 time of 14min 25secs.

The small print: My time was marginally faster than a couple of K1's, but in all fairness they were in the U14s and U12s classes!

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    At the end of the session, afore the prize mug giving, Colin made a wee speach indicating tomorrow Sun 07th Oct, was his last day runninng the pub.
    Jon
    Sad to hear that Jon - hopefully nothing will change as far our use of the field and pub goes.

If the inspiring and expensive trophy from last season is intended to be an annual prize, I'd better start arranging security guards for its return!!

Impcanoe the champ

Quote Originally Posted by ictoaun View Post
    Sad to hear that Jon - hopefully nothing will change as far our use of the field and pub goes.
    Sad that Colin is moving on, a better welcome to paddlers could never be hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Sad that Colin is moving on, a better welcome to paddlers could never be hoped for.
    Very sad news, I was so looking forward to Colin's post paddle pub grub and to see the man himself.
    ... add to kit list ... stove, bacon, black pud, onion, mushroom, bread, ......
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

and to see the man himself.
    I believe the 'man himself' is still going to be around - he mentioned about a 'developing/supporting paddlesports in the area' remit. Also more free time to actually paddle himself. He's still happy to coach, but can not 'BC assess'.

Time will tell how canoe-friendly the pub will remain - if you are there for the Nov race and the pub's open, it'll be interesting to hear your views.

It would certainly be a shame if we loose access to the field....