Thread: Wanted: Nova Craft Prospector 16 or PAL (I think)

Default Wanted: Nova Craft Prospector 16 or PAL (I think)

Hi all,

I have finally narrowed my search down to two and have decided to let fate have a say. I'm searching for a very unlikely thing here but I thought it was worth at least looking down the used route before I lay down an even larger sum for new. So, what I'm after:

Nova Craft PAL or Prospector 16.
    Royalex Lite, TuffStuff or TuffStuff Expedition.
    Red, Desert White, Ox Blood or Burgundy.
    Std Aluminium gunwales preferred.

I'm looking for a boat in good condition. I appreciate any used boat is going to have some wear-and-tear but I'm after something 'nice'.

Location East Anglia, SE, East Midlands (although I might be able to tarvel further for the right boat).

As I say, I know I'm probably looking for something so specific I'd be better off with, and probably will end up with, new but if you have something you would like to sell that fits the bill please PM me.

Many thanks,

Mike.

PS. Prospector 16 or PAL? Solo, Tandem with camping gear, occasional 3rd person (not with camping gear), mostly flat water but the odd weir and sometimes grade 2 WW.

(I would have put this in 'Members Classifieds but I couldn't start a new thread, there was no 'Post New Thread' button?)

Fairly different canoes, but both will be more than capable. I'd add the Wenonah P16 as an alternative to the Prospector that may be more likely to come up second hand.

Or an MR Reflection. Or a...

(Sorry probably not helping!)

If you were selling, you'd put it in Classifieds, but you're not, so you're in the right place. Classifieds is only available to Contributing Members to sell in.

Hi
    move it over to the wanted section, despite what the venerable blogger says
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Hi
    move it over to the wanted section, despite what the venerable blogger says
    It is in the Wanted Section.

At least its getting "bumped" by our bickering

Many thanks

Mike

I read your original post in introductions. If your not planning to paddle moving water then you don't need a Prospector. I've seen too many East Anglian flat water paddlers with inappropriate Prospectors! The PAL on Penobscot would be more suitable. Or take a look at the Apaches. If you could get to the OCA meet at Barton Turf at Halloween there would be a good selection of boats there which I'm sure people would let you try for a bit.
    Last edited by BigRich; 24th-September-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Typo

Shortly to be found near The Wissey Norfolk

If you come along to Barton Broad I will bring my totally appropriate Prospector !

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Mike

I read your original post in introductions. If your not planning to paddle moving water then you don't need a Prospector. I've seen too many East Anglian flat water paddlers with inappropriate Prospectors! The PAL on Penobscot would be more suitable. Or take a look at the Apaches. If you could get to the OCA meet at Barton Turf at Halloween there would be a good selection of boats there which I'm sure people would let you try for a bit.
    Get Paddling!

Blott

Mike

So what exactly is an inappropriate Prospector !!! And I would love to know what's wrong with paddling a prospector on flat water, and why its inappropriate to do so .

If your not planning to paddle moving water then you don't need a Prospector
    I get what he means but it is possible that Rich missed the bit about “personal choice” being a factor. Personally, I’ve made a life out of being inappropriate and fully intend to continue that way. Paddle whatever you want to, but do actually paddle.

I also would mention that it is “.... if you’re not planning to ...”. Drives me nuts, but I try not to be driven that way, it’s probably inappropriate to be nuts.

Back to the garden evening sun now.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Ha ha. Love it - you can go around and around.

Well in the end the beautiful weather and a forecast Indian summer was too much - so I've been rash and hasty.

I'm now the proud owner of a Desert White Pal and I (we) love it. Took it for a quick paddle on The Yare at Bramerton and couldn't be happier.

Thanks all the advice and opinions so far. No doubt my questions have only just started as I now start looking for suitable places to paddle and camp.

Cheers all,

Mike.

Shortly to be found near The Wissey Norfolk

Well done. The NC Pal is a lovely canoe. If you are looking for some great flat water paddling do come and join us at Barton Broad at the end of October. Look under "Meetings"
    Get Paddling!

Blott

Many thanks Blott, I'll take a look at the info about the meet - although at the moment I still don't have my work roster for the end of October so don't know yet if I will be able to make it.

Thanks also for your blogg 'In Search of Otters on the Little Ouse' which was pointed out to me by another member. An amusing read with useful information.

Will you please stop posting about your desert white PAL...its inappropriate!!! (I'm just jealous....)

Don't worry Laurie - I'll let you have a go.