Thread: Which Trangia should I buy

Default Which Trangia should I buy

I was on a canoe trip recently and was interested to see that most of my companions were using Trangia's to cook on. I've never used one, so have no idea which to go for.

I want it just for solo use. I currently use a gas stove but quite like the idea using the little meths burner. I do more heating of food than actual cooking.

Is it worth going for the non stick version?

Please feel free to give me alternative suggestions. Though I suspect this could turn into a "marmite" type of discussion I value the experience of the membership so let's go... .........
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

I just adore my Trangia cooker. Everything fits together (handle and burner inside the kettle inside the small pan inside the big pan ect.) and is stored safely in 1 small pouch. I bought it with the Primus gas conversion, but the meths burner works just as well. The non-stick frying pan is definitely worth it. You should also consider the snow stand/colander. For using an espresso coffee maker on the Trangia you need the triangular stainless steel wire insert.
    --
    Martin
    Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris (If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar).

2 sizes available 25 and 27 non stick is amazing but go for the gas not meths ,meths ok in winter you can use both systems...
    you can buy a gas burner on eBay separately or buy a Trangia burner ie meths.
    youll never regret buying....

Al - for solo "food heating" I'd go for the smaller size
    I got the Trangia (larger size) with the meths burner then got a non-Trangia branded gas burner for it (£20 vs £55 for the branded version)
    That way you have the meths burner and gas burner

25 is the larger size and 27 the smaller size

I use the eco-alcohol gel rather than meths - smells much better and doesn’t leak as easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi mate

ive more or less everything they make and have been on them for years. As you can imagine with me and food, they have had some use

If it was me, I’d go for the Hard Annodized versions, the pans are excellent and super tough. Size depends on how many you’d be cooking for but the smaller 27 is fine for two people and fits inside the bigger 2.5l billy (you can buy separately) and use on it if you need more volume. If unsure, just get the bigger one. I’ve also used all the various pans on camp fires etc and they can be bought individually too .... I actually use a spare 27 size frying pan as a plate and back up frying Gear.

I only use the alcohol burners despite having the gas rig too. Frankly, there is a lot less to go wrong with Meths burners and there isn’t anything I’ve not been able to cook, including bread, jam roll Poly etc. If using the Meths, it’s worth buying the Trangia bottle (they come in 0.3l, 0.5l or 1l) because that too is bullet proof.

Everyone says ‘it isn’t quick to boil water’ but I’ve never been so pressed for time that it mattered. Priming time is much reduced by adding a little fuel in the ‘gutter area’ outside the top of the burner and when lighting.

Give me me a shout if you need more info
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

I don't do a huge amount of 'cooking' but I might fry an egg, for this Trangias are rubbish and why I no longer use one. I use a gas stove, the stoves themselves can be any size you want and take any size canister you need. I use an aluminium frying pan and a hard anodised pot for boiling water or cooking.

Agree aluminum is not suitable for frying anything but the non stick will cope with eggs no problem or hard anodized the same

or just use a reuseable teflon cooking mat something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reusable-Te.../dp/B001TKYTMA

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I'm thinking that I'll go with the smaller Hard anodized version, and I like the idea of the teflon mat as well.

What I found most appealing when we were away was that Jon left his burning, then added the wee kettle to boil water for tea and dishes. The fact that the fuel is cheap, you know how much you have left at any given time and the laid back approach that the water will be boiled when its boiled. All fits in with a relaxed feeling when camping that I aspire to.

And lets face it if Mark can cook jam roly poly on one then that's as good an endorsement of them for anyone.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

There's something to be said for the swedish military version - as the pot is usable over an open fire.

Cheap, reliable and very very rugged.

e.g. https://www.goarmy.co.uk/swedish-arm...th-burner-prod
    Last edited by DougR; 21st-September-2018 at 08:34 PM.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    There's something to be said for the swedish military version - as the pot is usable over an open fire.

yep, cheaper etc however, I prefer the round pots making whatever actual cooking each does a bit easier. As to fire. I’ve used every HA pot over Swedish and French campfires without issue. I’d really not worry about that part of it. I trust them absolutely
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    yep, cheaper etc however, I prefer the round pots making whatever actual cooking each does a bit easier. As to fire. I’ve used every HA pot over Swedish and French campfires without issue. I’d really not worry about that part of it. I trust them absolutely
    Evidence of Jam Roly Poly by Butler MarkL, in Sweden, using Trangia pans. OK, you can't see the pans, but there are 2 there, the inner one resting on a few small pebbles if I remember rightly. Man's a genius, worth putting up with the snoring.

Evidence of result, with custard MK2, which disappeared quickly.*

*we don't talk about the custard MK1. Which had nowt to do with The Butler or Trangia.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post

e.g. https://www.goarmy.co.uk/swedish-arm...th-burner-prod
    My go to stove.....

Alpkit do a lovely version as well, for £25, and use whatever pans you wish......https://www.alpkit.com/products/bruler

If you decide to go hard-core/minimalist then you will eventually wind up at Zen Stoves.

And may the lord have mercy on your soul.

Ah yes, have practised the art in the murky recesses of garden and garage, without realising the existence, existentially or in reality....of that site

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    My go to stove.....

Alpkit do a lovely version as well, for £25, and use whatever pans you wish......https://www.alpkit.com/products/bruler
    Then if you have space add one of these above It:

http://omniasweden.com/

or if link not working:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camping-Ove.../dp/B000YLJQ5U
    Last edited by laurence milton; 23rd-September-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Go for the big one, mines 25+ years old and still going strong.
    I only use meths prefer the silence of the flames over the afterburner noise of gas/petrol etc.

Furthermore you don't have to limit yourself to the standard pots!

Cast iron? - no problem

Big alu pots? no problem..

Muurikka Skillet? takes that too...

Although I don't think I have a picture but it will house a Zebra pot too (The big one)
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

I agree with Tim; go for the big one unless you are hell bent on saving space. The pans are a more normal size so much more practical. Mine saw me through my DofE, years of just my wife and I camping and currently family of 5 (albeit with the recent addition of the 4.5 l billy).

Currently N. Somerset. Oftimes Quebec Province, Canada.

I keep meaning to buy an additional meths burner to keep ready filled, for when one runs out in the middle of cooking a feast. Said to be very bad karma to add more meths to a hot burner....
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

I'm in the get the biggest one camp. I have all the sizes, including the little single person one but default to the biggest one most of the time. I use meths some of the time, and gas at others depending on weather and what I'm cooking. I also have a set of billys which I use when I want to cook for even more people. I think it is the most versatile cooking system I own.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzle View Post
    I keep meaning to buy an additional meths burner to keep ready filled, for when one runs out in the middle of cooking a feast. Said to be very bad karma to add more meths to a hot burner....
    You mean to carry round full? I never find that they are completely sealed so I have found that you get leaks (usually in the kettle - meths tea really does wake one up!).

I do carry a spare meths burner (along with a folding firebox) so I can have a "two hob" set up. The trick to refilling meths to a hot burner is to make sure it is completely extinguished first. Sounds stupid but the flames are very hard to see especially in daylight once it burns low.
    Last edited by Lime; 25th-September-2018 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzle View Post

That'll be an Origo 3000, then?

I have lived with Trangias of all sizes from the Triangle to the Mini, 27 and 25. Still to figure out why the 25 is bigger than the 27?...

Use both gas and meths depending on the situation but I would say get the larger 25 in HA as it is good for 1 / 2 people and three if you don't eat normal portions!
    Chris

Currently N. Somerset. Oftimes Quebec Province, Canada.

Origo 3,000?

Aha!, This one

Don't think my canoe's quite big enough! ;-)

(I loved some of the comments..."The two burner is great because you can cook two items at the same time. If you get one of those stainless stack up pots sold for cooking Oriental food, you can cook even more items").
    Last edited by Grizzle; 25th-September-2018 at 02:19 AM. Reason: errata
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

That link gives me:

Page Blocked
    We have detected that you are visiting us from a country with Global Data Protection restrictions (GDPR). Due to requirements placed upon West Marine as a result of Global Data Protection Regulation, we are not permitting internet traffic to our website from certain countries in order to avoid any violations.No tracking or performance measurement cookies were served with this page."

Good to know someone is looking after me!
    Sam

Yes, I got that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a trangia but I've used the pans more often than the burner. I've Vango Stainless, copper bottomed, camping cooksets in 1 & 2 man versions and I find those to be good and although I still stick/burn stuff to them they clean up fine. Has anyone tried the newer Vango Teflon Coated Pan sets?

My Radius No5 Paraffin Stove will almost burn water , I'm wondering what my new toy might do?

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Hah. I have a borde bomb (a self-pressurising petrol stove), you should see the damage you can do with that.

Perhaps worth noting that alpkit also do an alcohol stove called a bruler. Same kind of idea as a triangia.

I've made many super lightweight spirit stoves over the years too. My favourite design is the penny stove because it's pressurised but also pressure regulated (you can increase the pressure by swapping the 1p for a 2p). The only major problem with them is wind protection. If you use one under cover it gives a pretty rapid boil and is SUPER efficient. I used to get a mug (300ml) of boiling water in under 3 minutes in still conditions. I have done many hiking expeditions and motorbike rallys using just a penny stove and 3 tent pegs as a stand for the stainless steel teapot I use as a kettle.

In very cold conditions, a meths stove will sometimes simply refuse to work. They need to be insulated from the ground if being used on snow. As do butane gas stoves.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Quote Originally Posted by stinkwheel View Post

Perhaps worth noting that alpkit also do an alcohol stove called a bruler. Same kind of idea as a triangia.

I've made many super lightweight spirit stoves over the years too.
    I've been looking at the Alpkit one as it would allow me to use my current pots and pot cosies that I've made.

I can see that using a meths burner could lead me into the the world of diy spirit stoves too.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    I'm wondering what my new toy might do?
    I do love an Optimus / Primus / Svea / ? stove. I have (too?) many. There's something about the theatre of assembly, pre-heating and pumping.

I have little ones, big ones, tiny ones and huge ones. Quiet ones and rocket-powered ones.

Just to stay on topic, I also have a couple of Trangias. A trick with the alloy pans is to spray the outside with black exhaust paint, they heat up just that little bit quicker.

Good idea, thank you !

For a long time the only stove I ever used (ever knew existed) was the trangia.
    I have had my current one since doing my silver duke of Ed and I have added a gas conversion to my setup for versatility.
    Over the years I have had non stick pots and pans, standard pots and pans and even the anodised ones and I’d happily recommend them all.
    I do find that the frying pan best option is a non stick one, I usually have pancakes for breakfast and the non stick pan is awesome for that.

As I’ve grown up I’ve bought and tried loads of different cook sets and I will honestly say that my trangia is still my go to stove on all my expeditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was assessing a DofE recently, and they had a standard trangia set up, but lined their frying pan with foil when frying. I was surprised at how well it worked, and their pan cleaning requirements after sausage and bacon baps for breakfast was minimal. I'm going to give it a try next time I have a fry up.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

My Trangia 27 is getting on for 30 years old and works as well as when it was brand new, but I’ve still learnt some new tricks from this thread!

90% of my camping is with my wife and the 27 does ok for the pair of us although the 25 being that bit bigger would probably be better. I seem to remember that the 25 actually boils quicker which would make sense given the larger area of the pot base.

If it’s cold I just scrunch up a bit paper or dryish grass or little twigs, dunk that in the meths and it lights no bother.

I’ve got the Go Gas gas converter which is really good and leaves the pots clean, but I’m not completely sold on it and actually find the meths burner is less faff. I’ve also found bio ethanol (the bottle in the cupboard has a Vango label on) much cleaner burning than meths.

I also like the way that meths has other useful applications on a trip eg cleaning surfaces for repairs or lazy firelighter.

I could add that the 27 fits perfectly through the day hatch of my sea kayak but this is a canoeing forum...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    I could add that the 27 fits perfectly through the day hatch of my sea kayak but this is a canoeing forum...
    I thought the 25 fitted through a 17cm hatch? Whichever trangia it is, the original Valley hatch was designed to just fit it, as long as you make sure the buckle is on the top and not on the side!

How hard can it be?

Seriously impressed by how long a thread about Trangias can last...but then again they are undoubtably the most durable stove on the market, so it seems rather appropriate!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Seriously impressed by how long a thread about Trangias can last...but then again they are undoubtably the most durable stove on the market, so it seems rather appropriate!

Duke of Edinburgh expeditions use gas on Trangias: it's safer than having meths slopping about, spilling, etc. Works perfectly well. Quick, easy, clean, simple, utterly windproof. It is a bit bulky: for my own kit I usea Pocket rocket stove with gas and a windshield. Meths is slow to start - when cold it is extremely dificult to light and you need to squirt some cigarette lighter fluid on the top of it, and set fire to that fluid which then burns and heats to top layer of meths to a point where it then catches fire, and it takes a few minutes for the brass meths container to reach a termperature hight enough to warm the meths to a point when it really starts to burn well and provide a lot of heat. Gas is much quicker.
    For some trips - eg cycle camping in France, I prefer meths - it's quite and time doesn't really matter that much. You can set up some water on the meths stove, put up the tent, go and have a shower, and when you get back the water is boiling away merrily.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaporire View Post
    Duke of Edinburgh expeditions use gas on Trangias: it's safer than having meths slopping about, spilling, etc.
    I'd argue this point. Meths vapour doesn't flash any appreciable distance, it doesn't explode in normal atmospheric conditions. Burning meths can be extinguished by pouring water on it. Meths won't kill you in your sleep if it leaks into your tent during the night.

Once meths burners are going, I find them to be pretty stable in a wind. In fact, I think a full triangia setup with windshield/stand reaches a boil better on a windy day than a still one.

I 100% agree with the points about cold starting though.

Got to mention the Swedish Army Trangia - if you can get the stainless version they are tough as nails. A bit slower, but work on open fires and are the perfect size to boil a ration bag.

My mate's daughter did her DofE this summer and a few of the groups had big fireballs from not screwing the gas canisters on correctly.

I quite like meths burners; a bit slow but calm and quiet.

Agree with all 3 above! (as a Swedish Army Trangia user!!)

I've used trangia pans on open fires for years with no ill effects.

Burning meths can be extinguished by pouring water on it.
    I understood that wasn't recommended. The story I heard was some Scouts poured water on their Trangia and the burning meths floated out, across the groundsheet (also not a good idea) and set fire to their clothing.

I'm wondering if a meths burner in a Kelly Kettle would be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
    I understood that wasn't recommended. The story I heard was some Scouts poured water on their Trangia and the burning meths floated out, across the groundsheet (also not a good idea) and set fire to their clothing.

I'm wondering if a meths burner in a Kelly Kettle would be worthwhile.
    The chemistry behind it is that meths is essentially alcohol. It's highly water soluable (alcohol over 70% will absorb water from the atmosphere, cool pub quiz word "Hygroscopic") so it doesn't float on water, it dissolves in water very readily. Once it has dissolved past a certain point, it is no longer flammable (wine is not flammable at 16%abv, gin is at 37%abv, I'm not sure where the exact cut-off point is, probably temperature dependant).

I'm a fan of empirical experimentation so I thought I'd give it a try on video. What I noticed did happen here is the water splashed a small amount of the burning liquid out of the opposite side of the container as it went in. So the incident you describe could well have happened. The solution is to keep adding water though, as soon as the water hits the burning fluid, it wil dissolve and dilute to a non-flammable concentration. It's not the same situation as you get with petrol where the petrol and water refuse to mix.

I love this thread. Not only is it still going, with plenty of interesting points, but now we have science experiments going on!

Regarding kelly kettles, meths burners work well in a swiss volcano stove which is a very similar idea. I initially bought one to use with my borde bomb but it just started melting the alloy.

What I found most appealing when we were away was that Jon left his burning, then added the wee kettle to boil water for tea and dishes.
    More for Bren's marginally liquidised sugar than tea. On the Boyne trip I think we ended up using the Tangia more times than the other gas/pump stoves we had with us.

Pluses for me:
    Not many moving parts on a Trangia to go wrong.
    As mentioned above, with meths it's easy to know how much fuel to take/is left. I've a 1L and a 0.5L fuel bottles, which cover (small) group weekends down to a solo fry-up.
    The set drops quite nicely into the bottom of a barrel.
    Space for a small bottle of hand sanitiser fluid, lighter/matches/flint, folding KFS, wipes in the kettle along with the burner and pan handle.

Just to keep the thread going for Mal.
    I love my Trangia, mainly for the compact design and efficiency in use, which I think probably comes from the very effective windshield. However, I have found the downside is the meths burner. Firstly it makes the pans go very black, and secondly storing the burner in the kettle makes the first few cups of tea taste disgusting, even when kept in the plastic bag. I have tried adding a bit of water to the meths, but it did not help much with the blackening. The gas conversion has solved this.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gdd View Post
    Just to keep the thread going for Mal.
    I love my Trangia, mainly for the compact design and efficiency in use, which I think probably comes from the very effective windshield. However, I have found the downside is the meths burner. Firstly it makes the pans go very black, and secondly storing the burner in the kettle makes the first few cups of tea taste disgusting, even when kept in the plastic bag. I have tried adding a bit of water to the meths, but it did not help much with the blackening. The gas conversion has solved this.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Just rub the bottom of the pans on grass/moss (or for really sparkling new pans: wet sand) after use.

"Meth's tea" really does wake one up! After having meths tainted tea once I resolved "never again" so I always make sure to never store the burner with meths in it, I pour any unused back in the bottle (although I have cooking/boiling down to such a fine art I find I rarely have any unused) and burn out the rest then, once cooled, it goes into a plastic bag (no holes!) with the bag twisted, folded back on itself and twisted again

I use the Swedish army mess kit, it has the swedish army trangia burner which is larger than the trangia 25, also you can use it as a firebox also, again saving fuel by using wood

How do I post a vid on this?

Put the video on YouTube - then you can insert the youtube video in your post

Or give us the link address and some helpful soul will embed it here.

Well thanks for all the advice, but the outcome is in the hands of Santa.

I'll post the result next week. Ho ho ho!
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Just to show everyone that I finally got one for Christmas.

I went for the 27 non-stick version with meths burner and kettle.

It really is the "King" of camping stoves.

Thanks for all the advice, debate and help.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Kieronmacc View Post
    Agree aluminum is not suitable for frying anything but the non stick will cope with eggs no problem or hard anodized the same
    Buy a cheap non stick flan tin and use that instead of the aly pan.
    All the best,
    Richard
    Retired bushcrafter now happy camper

Chortle, chortle, chortle. Happy Camping and Happy Cooking!