Thread: One Man's Wilderness

Default One Man's Wilderness

Just finished reading this, again. I've read this book more times than I can remember:

ONE MAN'S WILDERNESS: An Alaskan Odyssey.
    Author: Sam Keith, from the journals and photographs of Richard Proenneke.
    Publisher: Alaska Northwest Books.

If, like me, you enjoy books about single-minded, very capable people, who have a dream and without fanfare, single-handed, and at minimum cost, quietly get on with it - then you should really love this book. And you'll learn how to build a log cabin, with just a few hand tools.

There is a bit of canoeing in it - purely as a means of transport, not recreational use.

What is written on the back of my copy of this book sums it up nicely:-

To live in a pristine land unchanged by man ..... to roam a wilderness through which few other humans have passed ..... to choose an idyllic site, cut trees, and build a log cabin ..... to be a self-sufficient craftsman making what is needed from materials available ..... to be not at odds with the world, but content with one's own thoughts and company .....

Thousands have had such dreams, but Richard Proenneke lived them. ONE MAN'S WILDERNESS is a simple account of the day-to-day explorations and activities he carried out alone, and the constant chain of nature's events that kept him company.

I've found it a thought provoking and inspirational read.

Regards,
    Nick

Neris Valkure - 1. Folding kayak.
    Gumotex Twist N 1. Inflatable kayak.
    Gumotex Halibut. Inflatable kayak (but not for angling).

http://nickayaker.blogspot.com

It'll be next on my list then!