Thread: kayaks/canoes on the roof of your car that overhang at the back or front

1. Default kayaks/canoes on the roof of your car that overhang at the back or front

I have spent hours trying to find out how much of my kayak can hang off the roof-rack beyond the rear of my vehicle. I have at last found the answer and thought others may be interested.

"Projection of Loads on Trailers and on Roof-Racks

All projections should be protected so as not to be capable of causing any danger. It is particularly important to protect the exposed blades of an outboard motor mounted on a boat’s transom: there have been a number of prosecutions for failure to do so.

Special marker boards must be fixed in specific positions if the load projects to the front or rear by 2 metres or more. Depending on the overall dimensions, an assistant may be required for the purpose of warning the driver of any danger that could occur because of the vehicle or its load. It may also be necessary to inform the police of the route to be travelled.

If the rearward projection of the load exceeds 1m, it must be marked so as to be clearly visible, both to the rear and on both sides (e.g. using a bright red or orange plastic bag or rag).

A rearward projection extending between 2m and 3.05m must be fitted with an end marker board. If it extends beyond 3.05m a rear marker board and two side marker boards are needed, the police must be told in advance and an assistant must be carried. Extra side marker boards are needed if the rearward projection exceeds 5m. End marker boards should be triangular, with two sides of equal length. The triangle base and height must both be not less than 610mm and the board should be marked with alternate red and white stripes. Side marker boards should consist of similarly marked right angle triangular boards not less than 610mm in height and 1,520mm in length. Diagrams of such boards are given in the Regulations (Schedule 12 of C&U S.I 1986/1078 at p.166)."

I hope this helps someone

That's as I understand it too. I find the table in C&U(82) useful as well as C&UShedule12.

I treat a kayak rudder the same as outboard motor blades, and if I have a rearward projection between 1m & 2m I add an additional (not required by law) marker half way up the rope from the car bumper to the end of the boat, just to make sure nobody tries to drive under it.

I don't think may people here paddle racing kayaks, but there's a possible ambiguity in that different rules apply for 'racing boats propelled solely by oars' and I don't know if the law treats paddles as oars. The only bit that's more onerous is the need to make a forward projection of between 1m and 2m clearly visible (as well as rearward). I do that anyway, it feels awkward enough trying to exit from a T junction even with a florescent green bag on the bow!

In case you were wondering why I know this, I've recently bought a 7.8m (26ft) long double kayak!

3. Default

Wow! That's really long! Ours is a 2/3 seater kayak, but is only 15ft.

Oops, I thought it was OK up to 2m rearwards, I do sometimes have between 1.5 and 1.8m overhang with my sea kayak (18ft) which I always mark out of paranoia (rudder blade lifted, I used to put foam over it too but haven't for a while) but will need to check the normal position of my WWR boats in case they are over 1m, it may be close on my 'new' car (estate so the rear bar is closer to the rear end and tends to move the whole load back). I did know a few months ago because I had to work out the overhang to book the ferry to go to Switzerland with my WWR K1, but I have forgotten already! The other feature of the estate layout is that I rarely get much if any front projection, I'd actually prefer a little bit so the front rope leads back to the towing eye to prevent the boat sliding forward under emergency braking, either way works for wind lifting though which is the primary reason for the end ropes.

How hard can it be?

I wonder where the rearword projection is measured from

Roof bar

Bumper

Tow hitch?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I believe projection is measured from the bumper. Certainly not the roof bar, and I don't think from the tow hitch, as that itself is a projection from the original vehicle.

The reason I think the towbar is a projection, not part of the vehicle, is connected with something that causes a lot of confusion in threads on this topic (yes, here's one on SOTP from 2007) is people reading the Construction & Use Regs s11, which is about "overhangs" and applying that to projection of loads; that's wrong, s11 is about about how much the vehicle itself can overhang the wheels and only car makers need worry about it. If you were to count the tow hitch as part of the vehicle, for some cars that could mean the overhang (s11) was too big, so it must be a projection.
    Last edited by Chris_B; 5th-September-2018 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo

Currently N. Somerset. Oftimes Quebec Province, Canada.

Just while you're talking about boats overhanging, I found these (in Canada it's true but it's only 1.5 inch heavy duty hose and balloon webbing....) and they are great. They engage under something solid under the bonnet (hood) and boot (trunk) doors. and then you just shut the lids / doors / panels , whatever over them. Brilliant. 100 kph for four hours, not a movement from them. And no ropes over the edge of the bonnet / boot ....

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ho...AIPQ#store=648

I see thule also make them (on Amazon - other vendors are no doubt available) at twice the price.
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'