Thread: Life jackets

Default Life jackets

I am looking at kayaking/canoeing as a means of covering more water when fly fishing the wee and wild broon troot of the Scottish lochs. A few years ago I had a seizure about an hour after wading waist deep in a local river, I have been given the all clear and have been seizure free since, but I have not been allowed to go fishing on my own since. As I am about to start paddling I need to think of safety and what could happen when alone on the water.
    I need a life jacket/buoyancy aid that won't hinder me while fishing, something along the lines of a self inflating vest looks quite good. Anyone have some experience, specifically with fly fishing from a kayak/canoe?

tia

Joe

No boat fishing experience but I’d urge a couple of things ...

some actual paddling experience and instruction if intending to be on your own.
    An EPIRB for when you are on your own.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

I have some paddling experience MarkL, although it was some time ago. I used to be a member of Perth canoe club and have a good grasp of the basics. I have no intention of floating out into the abyss without having some confidence in my technique and watercraft . If it means a few lessons to update me on new techniques ers then so be it

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjoe View Post
    I have some paddling experience MarkL, although it was some time ago. I used to be a member of Perth canoe club and have a good grasp of the basics. I have no intention of floating out into the abyss without having some confidence in my technique and watercraft . If it means a few lessons to update me on new techniques ers then so be it

Apologies if you’ve taken offense. I’ll wasn’t meant to be offensive, however with respect, if you read your original post, it doesn’t mention any experience at all so it was prudent to advise what I advised.

Advice is still pretty much the same for most though. Recent non solo practice/experience, tuition if no experience, a plan B which if solo the EPRIB gives as a back stop ... especially with open water and a history of cold water seizures.
    Last edited by MarkL; 2nd-September-2018 at 07:54 PM.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Maybe worth mentioning, a life jacket is designed to turn an unconscious person face up in the water. A buoyancy aid isn't.
    Not in Oxford any more...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Apologies if you’ve taken offense. I’ll wasn’t meant to be offensive, however with respect, if you read your original post, it doesn’t mention any experience at all so it was prudent to advise what I advised.

Advice is still pretty much the same for most though. Recent non solo practice/experience, tuition if no experience, a plan B which if solo the EPRIB gives as a back stop ... especially with open water and a history of cold water seizures.
    No offence taken whatsoever Mark, it's been a long time since I've been on the water so any advice is greqtfully received!!! I'm here to learn, or rather, relearn. Things will have moved on since in last paddled so any info I get is greatfully received

Casting while sitting is a weird experience at first, practice from a lawn chair before trying it afloat.

Self inflating lifejackets are comfortable but do not wear anything over it, there are accounts of people wearing a fly fishing vest over the lifejacket and producing a sort of DIY anaconda.

As ever with lifejackets, a test swim is in order.

Have you seen the anglersafloat web site?
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Hi Doug and thanks for your reply.
    I have done plenty fly fishing from a boat, but never from a kayak or canoe and I can picture it being a little strange!!! Never seen that site before so I will go check it out right now. Thanks for the heads up

May I suggest, bearing in mind the medical caveat the OP originally mentioned, that an auto inflating marine type lifejacket is considered?

These are quite slim fitting and easy to wear on the outside of any jackets?

A guy at our club has a BA and wears a self inflating life jacket over the top. He had a heart attack the other year and strength is becoming an issue. Plenty of buoyancy should he take a swim.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I fish from my SOT kayak and your point is an interesting one. Kayak anglers wear pfd`s rather than an auto inflating type as re-entry would be very hard with one but due to your problem I`m at a loss to recommend which would be best. From a canoe, a self inflating vest would be great.
    I usually lure fish but recently bought a fly outfit to fish for pollack, but haven`t had the chance to do it yet. I think it will be hard with the deep sinkers and having to roll cast a short length after retreiving and then false casting until I get to the head a floating line will be pretty easy. For you I would imagine you would use a floater or int mainly so don`t have that problem. I think a canoe would be a better platform for all your needs