Thread: Ist Thursday September paddle

Default Ist Thursday September paddle

Can't see any one else has posted, and I will be back from Wales, so I will be paddling the Desborough Loop on the Thames, starting soon after 6.00, up the old river, mess about at Shepperton weir pool, or cook , or eat sarnies or all three. Dash back down the Cut.

There is a car park just upstream of Walton Bridge on the Surrey side (river right as paddling down stream), and at the upstream end a launch ramp. There are also height barriers, but if you are too high it is possible to park opposite the ramp to off load.

If I have time to do a recce before hand we might substitute the Sunbury Stream if it is not too overgrown.Decision taken on the night.

Peter Impcanoe

Perfect, Peter.

I haven't posted anything on this, as I'm still waiting to find out where I'll be that day, as I may be in Northamptonshire helping out with a store opening. If not, I'll be closer to home, which is looking the most likely having had nothing back from the retailer yet.

I was thinking Thames might make a change, and there will be a choice of pubs for after.

Put me down as 65%...

Don't really mind if you get the recce done or not, up for an adventure anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Can't see any one else has posted, and I will be back from Wales, so I will be paddling the Desborough Loop on the Thames, starting soon after 6.00, up the old river, mess about at Shepperton weir pool, or cook , or eat sarnies or all three. Dash back down the Cut.

There is a car park just upstream of Walton Bridge on the Surrey side (river right as paddling down stream), and at the upstream end a launch ramp. There are also height barriers, but if you are too high it is possible to park opposite the ramp to off load.

If I have time to do a recce before hand we might substitute the Sunbury Stream if it is not too overgrown.Decision taken on the night.

Peter Impcanoe

I will be up for this assuming i have my canoe - I have my canoe test Fran the day before which includes swimming and rescuing your gear

nice one Peter!

Hi Peter
    We're both up for this
    Andy & Angie

Hi A&A. Glad to have you along. The weir pool at Shepperton is as easy or difficult as you choose to make it, but you might look into"tandem breaking in and out and eddy turns" on U tube to make the most of it. There will be some on Face book too, and an excellent breaking out one on the Tees also on U tube. If only I could remember the names of the posters, but these days have difficulty remembering my own.

Ok it was the Tyne not the Tees, still can't remember who, but Ray Goodwin, with whom I had an in depth discussion whilst passing by above Mile End Mill last week on a fancy cross deck switch move he had posted, is also a great source of clear vids.

My 65% has increased to near 95%, as I am now working from home on both Thursday and Friday. See you there!

I hope to make it also...
    '...you can led a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...' Stan Laurel

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    My 65% has increased to near 95%, as I am now working from home on both Thursday and Friday. See you there!
    That's the sort of working I like!
    '...you can led a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...' Stan Laurel

The water was nice and warm at Windsor part of the Thames and did not taste to bad either

I guess its be ready by 6 pm or is it 6 pm for 6.30 pm?

Enjoyed practicing on the little stream nex to the canoe club, thanks impcanoe for suggesting it / organising it.

Seem to have lots of mozzy bites although i don't remember seeing any.

looking forward to the next one unless this is the last one....

Yep, nice evening despite the occasional unforecast drizzle, and a lack of real flow on the weirs, was still fun. And t'pub was all right too...

Next will be Thurs October 4th. By then, it'll be a dusk paddle from the start, and a dark paddle soon after! Provisionally on the Basingstoke Canal from discussions last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Yep, nice evening despite the occasional unforecast drizzle, and a lack of real flow on the weirs, was still fun. And t'pub was all right too...

Next will be Thurs October 4th. By then, it'll be a dusk paddle from the start, and a dark paddle soon after! Provisionally on the Basingstoke Canal from discussions last night.
    Mal, i hope these continue.. I was thinking - would it be a good idea to coincide these with the full moon (which would possibly mean changing it to the last thursday of the month) ? Full moons are on the 22-25th of each month for the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    Mal, i hope these continue.. I was thinking - would it be a good idea to coincide these with the full moon (which would possibly mean changing it to the last thursday of the month) ? Full moons are on the 22-25th of each month for the next few months.
    Quite like the idea....we could always do both!!!

Last night was a lovely paddle despite the weather, we'd be up for doing both
    Andy & Angie

Quote Originally Posted by ALG View Post
    Last night was a lovely paddle despite the weather, we'd be up for doing both
    Andy & Angie
    Angie/Andy, the weir has been quite lively when i have been previously and is a good place to practice. There are couple of other weirs in the area which may be worth visiting although i would be reluctant to do them on my own. Give me a should if you fancy it, i could to with the practice.