Thread: Hi all

Default Hi all

Hello.
    Middle aged wifey ex shepherd/farmhand. Sidelined due to injury so off to be a mature student at college...eek!
    Other half grew up around water swimming, kayaking canoeing and boating. He was lucky enough to spend a summer canoeing the Yukon as a teenager.
    Me..well hes just persuaded me to get an open canoe as a 'together'activity. I love the water but a little cautious of it.
    So to start we are now in process of sourcing a canoe.
    Whilst i'll defer to his knowledge of purchasing it would be great if you guys could reccomend some quieter waters for him to teach me on? We live in Scotland.
    So far from my research ive found
    Loch Ken
    Aigas Gorge
    Edinburgh to Glasgow Canal

Ive done a little bit of paddling but not much and need to build up confidence on quiet water where we can paddle close to shore/banks.

Hello and Welcome!

Well, you live in a good country for canoeing, though "Scotland" doesn't narrow it down that much!

Look for lochs that are smaller in size at first. Big open water gets choppy very quickly if its windy, which is best avoided until you've a bit of experience.

The Trossachs has some good lochs that are relatively sheltered, and not too big, depending on wind direction; Ard, Chon, Lubnaig spring to mind. The whole of the Highlands is full of them. Sometimes when one loch is exposed to the wind, another may be sheltered behind the hills. Not always, mind, sometimes the wind just whips round said hills!

Have a look on Paddle Points for loads of ideas, or give us a bit more info on the location to get more specific advice.

Hello Mal Grey
    Thankyou for suggestions. Other half is from the highlands but we are down in the central belt. South Lanarkshire. So lots of lovely places to go. I really like the look of Lubnaig. OH knows it through his work (log hgv driver). I wittered on about doing St Marys loch until one day i was with him in truck driving past and saw how choppy it was.
    Eventually id like to progress to camp canoeing as for me its about seeing wildlife.
    Be great getting to know you all

Journal Entries

Welcome. In Scotland we can paddle pretty much any body of water and we have loads so you really are spoilt for choice. To begin with smaller more sheltered lochs are ideal to build your confidence. Castle Semple Loch which is on my doorstep is quite good with easy launching but there are many many choices. Loch Ard is lovely when calm and you stand a strong chance of seeing Chainsaw in the wild

Its weird because as a farmhand i was always a bit sniffy about the right to roam act mostly when i was rounding up cattle or sheep when some kind soul left a gate open. Now on the other side of the fence (scuse the pun). Due a shoulder op to mend a seperated ac joint soon so paddling might be a bit difficult physically at first. I like the look of Loch Ard. Aim to is to get to great glen canoe trail standard for next year. Oooooh Chainsaw??? Intriguing!!!

And just realised we are not too far from you. Googled castle semple, looks good!

Journal Entries

Yup. You may even bump into me on the water someday. That’ll teach you

Journal Entries

Wow never been described as intriguing before and probably never will again!

Loch Ard is a great bet as no matter how windy it is there is always a sheltered spot somewhere and yeah have have been known to paddle there a little bit... now and again...

Wee bit of drive from South Lanarkshire to the trossachs but we worth it as you will get a paddle somewhere!

Maybe see you on the water sometime!
    Cheers,

Alan

Well with a name like Chainsaw!!! Im not experienced enough to paddle away from a man wielding a chainsaw.

Youll know its me.
    Middle aged wifey wearing all the safety gear known to the world of water sat at the front, hugging the shore sobbing because ive been told off by OH!

Only kidding about the sobbing part itll be full on divorce haha.

Being a mature student is great, in my experience. You realise that the young really donít know anything and you really do! You can ask the questions they donít even have the experience to realise *are* questions. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Journal Entries

Ach it's electric so 20m from the nearest plug and you are perfectly safe!

Middle aged wifey wearing all the safety gear known to the world of water sat at the front, hugging the shore sobbing because ive been told off
    You know if you change just one word of this and you are describing about half this forum!

Get out there and paddle, if you are middle aged, you don't really care what anyone else thinks!
    Cheers,

Alan

Hi Spinningwoman.
    Its going to be a big change but looking forward to it.
    Doing the Countryside Management course at SRUC.
    Biggest struggle I think will be keeping my shepherds brain and mouth still. Im a big lover of all things farming and countryside and very excited as we are doing a study tour on Rum next year.
    Im wanting to get a little experience on the water in case as part of the course we get to do some outdoor activity stuff so i dont look like a muppet.

[QUOTE=Chainsaw;661638]Ach it's electric so 20m from the nearest plug and you are perfectly safe!

You know if you change just one word of this and you are describing about half this forum!

Get out there and paddle, if you are middle aged, you don't really

Very true. Its a lovely age of farting about muttering about the state of the world watching my tolerance shrink and pretending i know it all whilst wondering if im going to make it through the night.

Rum! Amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpweasel View Post
    Hi Spinningwoman.
    Its going to be a big change but looking forward to it.
    Doing the Countryside Management course at SRUC.
    Biggest struggle I think will be keeping my shepherds brain and mouth still. Im a big lover of all things farming and countryside and very excited as we are doing a study tour on Rum next year.
    Im wanting to get a little experience on the water in case as part of the course we get to do some outdoor activity stuff so i dont look like a muppet.