Thread: River Wey Paddle Saturday 8th September 2018 - Woking Palace / Falconry Display

Default River Wey Paddle Saturday 8th September 2018 - Woking Palace / Falconry Display

Hi all,

Its the Sunday 9th September 2018 - sorry about the date change so late in the day.

Is anyone interested in paddling on the River Wey on Sunday 9th September 2018 - 10 a.m. start at the Tannery near Send.
    Planning on doing the Gresham Loop. Woking Palace will be holding another open day which will include a Falconry display.

Nearest Address: Tannery House, 3 Tannery Ln, Send, Woking, GU23 7EF
    Paddle point : http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints.php?pp=71

Park by bend in road on gravel on the opposite side from the path.
    Put in just over footbridge after walking down the side of the building.

if you have a trolley, i would suggest you bring it since there is a long portage across a field.

Bring food and fireboxes if you fancy cooking.

I think it will be a about a 5 - 6 hour paddle. We go at the slowest persons pace, no one gets left behind.

Maj
    Last edited by silverbeard; 7th-September-2018 at 05:17 PM.

I would be very interested Maj.

I have a trolley and would be happy to be the one who sets the "slowest person's pace"

Col

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    I would be very interested Maj.

I have a trolley and would be happy to be the one who sets the "slowest person's pace"

Col
    Haha Colin,

forgot to mention Samson (the lovely resident swan) has a preference for going after people at the back so be warned!

I think you partly did this loop in reverse a few months back. Its lovely this time of year.

Would be cool to see you on the water again.

Maj

I'm probably away, but if that doesn't happen, I will, of course, be there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    I'm probably away, but if that doesn't happen, I will, of course, be there!
    There is also the first Thursday of the month paddle to consider...

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    Haha Colin,

forgot to mention Samson (the lovely resident swan) has a preference for going after people at the back so be warned!
    I'm not that bothered by Swans so I'll take one for the team then.

Would be cool to see you on the water again.

Maj

Yes, it is ages since I've been out

I could be up for this...I might have to work that day but its penciled into my diary.
    Andy
    '...you can led a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...' Stan Laurel

Quote Originally Posted by flat cap Andy View Post
    I could be up for this...I might have to work that day but its penciled into my diary.
    Andy

Cool Andy, look forward to seeing you. I will bring some gaffer tape just in case your boat needs emergency repairs

Hey Maj, I'd like to come along to this. Just need to get final approval from the parole officer.

Should I bring my falcon along? I have a Kestrel.

Edit: never mind got my dates mixed up - I am on the Wye that weekend and I already have permission.

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    Hey Maj, I'd like to come along to this. Just need to get final approval from the parole officer.

Should I bring my falcon along? I have a Kestrel.

Edit: never mind got my dates mixed up - I am on the Wye that weekend and I already have permission.

Enjoy the Wye - i did some of it on Mals birthday and loved it!

Yes / Maybe yes

silverbeard (Maj)
    BYT (Colin)
    Alicia (via Maj sit on kayak)
    Julian (via Maj)
    FlatCapAndy (possibly)
    ImpCanoe (Peter)
    Shelly & Craig (via Maj)
    Last edited by silverbeard; 29th-August-2018 at 09:40 PM.

can someone remind me which loop the Gresham one is - is that the one with the Portage Of Doom at the Papermill?

Quote Originally Posted by aannddyyhh View Post
    can someone remind me which loop the Gresham one is - is that the one with the Portage Of Doom at the Papermill?
    yep, good practice if you ever go paddling up to highlands with Mal

Are you in?

yep, good practice if you ever go paddling up to highlands with Mal

Are you in?
    I'll put myself down as a maybe for now. are you going to act as swan-bait Maj?

Yes / Maybe yes

silverbeard (Maj)
    BYT (Colin)
    Julian (via Maj)
    FlatCapAndy (possibly)
    ImpCanoe (Peter)
    Shelly & Craig (via Maj)
    aannddyyhh (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by aannddyyhh View Post
    I'll put myself down as a maybe for now. are you going to act as swan-bait Maj?
    Colin has kindly volunteered to be swan-bait - for the team or otherwise i would have. Hope there is more water at the Mill - it was so shallow when Mal and I paddled it a couple of weeks ago.

Yes / Maybe yes

silverbeard (Maj)
    BYT (Colin)
    Julian (via Maj)
    FlatCapAndy (possibly)
    ImpCanoe (Peter)
    aannddyyhh (maybe)
    Last edited by silverbeard; 3rd-September-2018 at 08:23 AM.

I've just discovered its the Great London River Race on Saturday, and so I am considering substituting watching that for Samson and the portage of doom. If I'm joining you I will be there on time, so don't wait

Peter Impcanoe

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

I'm at Henley that weekend teaching baby sea cadets to canoe.
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

What would folks thing about changing this to the Sunday 9th instead? The weather is much nicer...

Maj

So spoken to a few peeps who were interested in coming (Alicia, Andy and Angie, Julian ) ...Sunday would be preferable BYT (colin) is that ok with you?

We're happy with either day but if the weather is better Sunday that may swing it for preference

Quote Originally Posted by ALG View Post
    We're happy with either day but if the weather is better Sunday that may swing it for preference
    Lets go for Sunday - I hope Colin can make it.

Now how to change the title of this post...

I think I can make Sunday.

I hope to make it on Sunday for the self flagellation portage I said I'd never do again, (but this will the third time)

Impcanoe in the canoe that is not the one to rule them all.

Thanks for a really quite enjoyable and dispight the long portage, relaxing paddle. It was quite windy in places but my swan whispering skills weren't needed and there were no dramas. :-)

Enjoyed the paddle and even the portage was fine. The grumpy fisher folk was a bonus too. However, as the trip developed at a very slow pace, it became clear to me that I should really be at home making progress on my projects as the weather held so I made a spur of the moment decision to carry on. Achieved quite a lot at home. I trust that someone knows where my dry bag is!. I am in no rush, as I have others, but I would like it back in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Enjoyed the paddle and even the portage was fine.

I was expecting to need to hack our way through a five mile jungle of bramble and nettles but it turned out to be a couple of hundred yards across a bumpy field. I like that concept; expect the worst and most times one is pleasantly surprised :-)

The grumpy fisher folk was a bonus too

The second to last one was OK and wished us a happy day as we passed.
    The last guy was convinced that every large fish in the Wey and all adjoining rivers would have now headed out to sea, never to be seen again. !!!!

However, as the trip developed at a very slow pace, it became clear to me that I should really be at home making progress on my projects

I hadn't paddled for well over a month so the slooooow pace was OK for me. It's a good job my plastic barge doesn't require forward momentum to remain upright though :-)

I trust that someone knows where my dry bag is!. I am in no rush, as I have others, but I would like it back in the end.

It was mentioned as we were loading the boats, Peter so I'm sure it's in hand.

Thanks all for a lovely day and thanks to Maj for organizing it, the falconry display provided a pleasant interlude whilst eating lunch , I'm glad I don't fish I don't think I'd want to be that miserable all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ALG View Post
    I'm glad I don't fish I don't think I'd want to be that miserable all the time
    I think they must have to go of to a retreat somewhere and learn those skills. There's no way that comes naturally :-)

The time I did the stretch to the Palace from downstream, I met two anglers who were the exact opposite; very chatty and happy, and extolled the virtues of being on the river on a lovely morning. I should imagine they have been shunned by the angling club by now for unacceptable behavior :-)

Thanks everyone for your company on Sundays paddle - blog coming shortly. Really saddened by the reaction of those fisherman - i think Colin took the brunt of it but the guy at the end was really effing and blinding when i approached him. I am not sure who they are but I am considering contacting the local Angling clubs (Ripley & District angling club or Woking Angling club) about their behavior. I am not sure what their problem is - do canoes scare the fish? Perhaps we can share the river to avoid such confrontations.

Peter, i have your dry bag, do you want me to post it to you? I am planning to get some practice in at shepperton sometime during the week.

Colin, i hope you not too badly injured from your fall.

Thanks Maj, on all fronts. Let me know when you are going to Shepperton, and I'll try to join you, but there's no rush for the bag.

Really saddened by the reaction of those fisherman - i think Colin took the brunt of it but the guy at the end was really effing and blinding when i approached him. I am not sure who they are but I am considering contacting the local Angling clubs (Ripley & District angling club or Woking Angling club) about their behavior. I am not sure what their problem is - do canoes scare the fish? Perhaps we can share the river to avoid such confrontations.

I wouldn't bother to be honest, Maj. You will always get groups who think they have a the sole right to access and enjoy the countryside.

Colin, i hope you not too badly injured from your fall.

Maj, I'm going to get paranoid that I really do look like a doddery old geezer if you carry on. I only slipped onto my arse !!! :-)

When are you thinking of going to Shepperton and what's the crack ? I might (if I'm welcome of course) to be able to get a cheeky bit of time this week.

Sounds like a good day, as ever, on one of the loveliest bits of the Wey.

Were the fishermen up above the portage, just after turning down from the junction, by any chance? That's the only place I've ever had anything but positive or neutral interraction with fisherfolk on this bit of the Wey.

If the Shepperton is Thursday evening again, there's a slim chance of my attendance, but probably unlikely.

Were the fishermen up above the portage, just after turning down from the junction, by any chance?
    Yes they were, clearly not use to seeing happy people we'll have to go there more often to acclimatize them

I am planning to get some practice in at shepperton sometime during the week.
    and we're up for Shepperton any day this week

If the Shepperton is Thursday evening again, there's a slim chance of my attendance, but probably unlikely.
    I was thinking friday Mal and anyone else interested (all welcome).

I was going to have a play on the weir "around the corner" from where we were practicing last time. Flexible on time but thinking 5-6 ish.

I can do any evening this week, or both Thursday and Friday . Worth striving for 5 ish I think. Is the weir to which you refer the one that says no canoeing, or the one with the slalom poles?? There are alternative put ins much nearer. One just below the lock, but quite a high wall. There is a ramp between the pub and the car park on the other side, but I think the barrier on the carpark is lower. If you go onto Desborough Island on the first bridge over the cut upstream from the car park we used, and keep going until just before the second bridge there is as bit of parking, a portage shorter than Sunday but with a change in levels and the risk that all the put ins are in use by fishermen. Then we could freelance across the park to the canoe club steps, but that is probably a bit cheeky although its a public park, public tow path, public car park.Me, I think I will just go straight up the cut rather than the scenic route
    Last edited by Impcanoe; 11th-September-2018 at 04:23 PM.

I won't make Friday, and 5pm too early I'm afraid, so doubt I'll make this week, but that's not a problem.

Is the weir to which you refer the one that says no canoeing, or the one with the slalom poles??
    Its not the one with the slalom poles (the flow has been dead the last few times i have been there). I did not realise the other weir had no canoeing. I was looking at alternative put ins near the weir, thanks Peter!

Mal, what are the percentage chances of making the Thursday? I have a circuit training but will cancel that to get some time on the water

Do we have a plan yet? Its Wed and I now have alternatives. Can we choose a day and put in. If all things are equal, I'd go for Thursday, 5 ish start, same put in as before but straight up the cut?????????

Were the fishermen up above the portage, just after turning down from the junction, by any chance? That's the only place I've ever had anything but positive or neutral interraction with fisherfolk on this bit of the Wey.

Used to be a few coarse fisherfolk just down from Walsham that produced some colourful language....a wave and a cheery hello really winds them up

I will not make Thursday in time, so count me out this time. Might be up for something over the weekend.

Do we have a plan yet? Its Wed and I now have alternatives. Can we choose a day and put in. If all things are equal, I'd go for Thursday, 5 ish start, same put in as before but straight up the cut?????????
    I could be up for a splosh about Thursday evening. The boat is still on car from the weekend and my gear hasn't made it out of the hallway yet so barely any prep needed. I have some stuff going on in the morning but with luck I should be able to get away in time.

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    I could be up for a splosh about Thursday evening. The boat is still on car from the weekend and my gear hasn't made it out of the hallway yet so barely any prep needed. I have some stuff going on in the morning but with luck I should be able to get away in time.
    Ok folks, lets do as Peter suggested, meet at Walton Bridge 5pm and head up the cut.

I am thinking of sinking my canoe and rescuing myself since the water is nice and warm at the moment...

Right, I'm on.

Barring catastrophes, I should be there.

I will see there at 5pm although i will be there a lot sooner - 4ish. The weather is too nice