Thread: Hi from North Wales

Talking Hi from North Wales

Hello!

Long time lurker, thought it was about time I registered after getting my canoe in November.

Currently paddling a Riber 16, which has provided a very stable and comfortable intro to canoeing.

Fell in love with paddling a few years ago, after a magical guided trip on Loch Lomond.

Fast forward to last year, hiring a canoe and paddling a stretch of the Cherwell convinced me that I "needed" my own boat - haha.

Lucky me got one for my birthday last winter and I'm starting to get out and about in it now with my partner.

So far been to Llyn Geirionydd, Llynnau Mymbyr and Llangollen Canal (with a day's hire on the Oxfordshire canal in between).

Planning the Conwy from Conwy to Dolgarrog next, then a multi day camping trip on the Dee from Overton to Chester.

Advice and trip blogs on this forum have been fab during these early stages, so looking forward to being a bit more involved.

Happy paddling!

Em

Hello and Welcome!

Sounds like you're already hooked. Feel free to ask questions any time, and don't forget to share your trips with us afterwards.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Hi Em,
    North Wales here also, Chirk to be precise. Take care going from Conwy on the river. The tides are strong there and caution should be shown. Make sure your timings are right or you could end up in Liverpool Bay....
    Be good to meet up some time for a paddle on a Snowdonia lake...

Thanks both!

Ah, we enjoyed our trip through to Chirk Bank from Llangollen last weekend!

As for tides, yes indeed - and holding out for a day where the weather / wind is kind!

Can you recommend any local lakes, Meirion? I've heard about Llyn Nantlle, is it one for paddling?

Em

Hi Em, don't know about Nantlle to be honest but we have had lovely paddles at Cwellyn, Padarn and Gwynant. I did a blog about a long weekend here. http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ight=snowdonia
    And don't forget Bala, it's a lovely paddle.
    Last edited by meirion; 25th-August-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Hi Em, welcome to the fold.
    I live just down the road from you (Prestatyn), if you fancy some company I would
    be definitely up for it.
    My favourite place around her is Llyn Padarn.
    Mal

Hi Mal

Never canoed on Padarn but I did a rowing course there a while back, it really is beautiful. Hoping to head out there once it's term time - I guessed it would have been really busy over the summer so been avoiding it!

Meirion, Cwellyn looks great - I have added it to my hit list!! :-D

Everyone needs a canoe. It’s just some people don’t know it yet. Glad you saw the light
    John

Hi Em, yes it does get busy in the summer but I tend to go early in the morning when I am the
    only one there.
    I am off up to Loch Affric on Sunday for a weeks canoe camping and walking weather permitting.
    The offers still there if you fancy going out with the canoes some time.
    Mal