Thread: Adding a kneeling pad to the edge of my seats

Default Adding a kneeling pad to the edge of my seats

Hello again, thought I'd give this question it's own thread rather than an addendum to my other seat-related post;
    I paddle exclusively from a kneeling position- can't paddle seated due to a spinal fusion- and am in the habit of resting my buttocks on the edge of the seat frame. I'm going to have to re-cane my seats (per other thread) so would like to take the opportunity to add something to the inward-facing edge of each seat that will make for a more comfortable experience for my rear end. One concern I have is that a piece projecting downward from the seat frame, when my legs are tucked under the seat, will have the potential to trap me by the feet in the event of a capsize (I have big feet!). I would love to see what others have done to address this. I don't want to get rid of either seat in favour of just a kneeling thwart.

To completely encase a kneeling thwart, I bought some large diameter foam pipe lagging (60mm ID I think) and some cheap canvas type material that was large enough to wrap around the lagging with an overlap. I stuck the canvas to the lagging and used Velcro to keep it together once wrapped around the thwart.

You could perhaps do similar with your seat, not necessarily with pipe lagging, but maybe with a piece of ordinary foam that will mould to the leading edge of the seat and could also be held on with Velcro, or possibly put some eyelets in the canvas and tie onto the seat with bungees or paracord.

Just a thought .
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

A loose pad in a waterproof canvas cover with some eyelets for attaching to the seat sounds like a workable option.

Have you got the seat tilted forwards? This is a good thing to do if you kneel all the time. I have a tilted forwards, half-width seat in my pack canoe. On the next one I made, I also planed a chamfer along the front edge of the frame so it was less of an angle against the back of my legs.

Bits of blue alkathene water pipe make excellent, inexpensive and easily adjusted temporary (or indeed permanant) seat spacers.

I actually have mine leaning a bit more than on this photo now.

"I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

I'm thinking about velcroing a wedge of minicell foam to my seat creating a kneeling slope seat, easily removable for normal sitting
    nature is m X-box