Thread: Newbies from Yorkshire

Default Newbies from Yorkshire

Morning, I'm Chris and my partner's name is Beth, we're hoping to buy our first canoe next weekend, we have both canoed in the past but would like to get into it more as an addition to our camping holidays.
    So any advice, pitfalls to look for etc is most welcome.
    Cheers Chris & Beth.

That’s a crack of dawn type post ... welcome to the forum
    if you are looking for help on boats, I’d try stating a couple of things like what you hope to do with it (canoe/camp/touring/rivers/white water etc), rough idea of loads you’ll want to carry and maybe also an idea of budget too. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of feedback.

All the best.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Yeah I start work at 5am this week, Sunday to Saturday. Look to use a canoe in conjunction with our Land Rover on camping/touring and geocaching trips, probably just look to carry a day pack rather full camping kit as the Landy can do the heavy hauling around.
    Our budget is around £250-£300
    Cheers Chris & Beth

Yeah I start work at 5am this week, Sunday to Saturday. Looking to use a canoe in conjunction with our Land Rover on camping/touring and geocaching trips, probably just looking to carry a day pack rather full camping kit as the Landy can do the heavy hauling around.
    Our budget is around £250-£300
    Cheers Chris & Beth

Hi Chris & Beth and welcome to the forum.

The most likely place you'll find a canoe for your budget is eBay (other auction sites are available!). At your budget your main concern will be weight so it would be a good idea to view it together to make sure you can load it on the Landy.

If you're happy to make a canoe then the stitch and glue market is popular and providing you don't go to top spec marine ply, which isn't essential, you can have a new light weight canoe. Not good for running rapids of course.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Yeah, the budget is probably too tight for most mainstream boats.
    Another option may be to contact local hire outfits and canoe clubs to see if they are moving anything on anytime soon. Not too likely but vaguely possible I guess.
    The point about weight is a good one given the Landy element. I’d aim to hook up with some people around your area and try moving around boats of different weights to see where your limits are. Tbh you’d really be looking at more like £500 to £650 for most commonly used poly boats I’d guess ... and they won’t be in the lightweight class
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Hello and Welcome!

Good advice above. Unfortunately, canoes don't come cheap very often, but the good thing is that once you've got one, it holds its value remarkably well. Hope you find your cano soon!

Hello and welcome from Robin Hood's Bay!!

Excellent paddle from Grosmont (and elsewhere) all the way to Whitby exept in the lowest of water.

I know someone locally who has - or did have, a beat up canoe in Mickleby which paddles OK. I'll ask him if he's still got it.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Morning Folks, Thanks for all your advice we're going to look at a 15' Grumman on Sunday, are there any known issues or areas we should look out for ? Cheers Chris & Beth

If its aluminium it can be a bit cold to the touch and a little noisy on the water. But otherwise OK.

Hey up, just thinking along the aluminum lines as I can weld it if we have any mishaps and also we can store it outside without many issues
    Cheers Chris & Beth.

You'd have to beat up an ally canoe or a plastic one pretty badly to end up with a hole in it. I also have a 40 year old fibreglass canoe thats been down many sections of the Esk and other white water rivers and I've never put a hole in yet.

Are you able to weld aluminium? I thought the hull would be rather thin for that?

Evening, I can't see it being thinner than the Land Rover bodywork which is 1/8" aluminum,which I've welded with a mig set using aluminum wire and argon gas or could tig weld it.