Thread: Exploring the rive Tees

1. Default Exploring the rive Tees

Over the past few days I've been working my way down the River Tees travelling 40 miles from Winston Bridge (The one the Spitfire flew under) to Yarm.

I approached it in stages and wanted to share with others how incredibly beautiful this stretch is.

Section 1 - The first section from Winston to Low Conniscliffe wasn't great but the views were worth it - I passed some beautiful rock formations, old railway bridges and a natural spring. This stretch had too may shallow areas and I got flipped over on a small rocky waterfall and lost some equipment. Its took me 6hrs in total - Im pleased I did it but once is enough.

Section 2 - The next section from Low Conniscliffe to Croft was very scenic - Nice water with the odd fast flowing section to push you along - beware of a weir at Broken Scarr (A big one) once you're pass this, which you must approach from the right hand side, there's another rocky section (concrete barrels) about 100 m down river presenting a real hazed - After that its generally plain sailing apart from one or two shallow areas and a 200m really shallow section under the A66 road bridge at Stapleton - From Stapleton to Croft is where it gets really good - Pure wilderness for 5 miles - I saw a reindeer taking a drink and several swans and a fisherman that smiled. 2.5hrs

From Croft to Neasham is a nice run - it starts with a fast flume that pushes you under the bridge and there a small weir and a fallen tree to get past but after that its a nice leisurely paddle to Neasham - 2hrs

Neasham to Lower Dinsdale - Now this is where it gets good - as you leave Neasham the water flows down hill into the most incredible scenic valley - Tree lined, pure solitude, untouched and when you do see signs of humanity it doesn't disappoint, you'll glide past Sockburn Hall, a recently renovated mansion and see one or two beautiful private houses and gardens - you'll also pass under several private footbridges leading to tennis courts accompanying really nice houses - There's a weir near the white house with large windows - I got into a pickle here and ended up swimming... I lost a deck chair and my tea but I managed to save my dog who loves to travel with me (Did). 5hrs

Lower Dinsdale to Yarm - This section was the easiest ride ive done - apart from a weir 1.75miles after put in, it was plain rowing - The water is deep and wide all the way and ever so quiet - I arrived in Yarm in the dark, on account I set off too late, the railway viaduct and road bridge lit the way and I covered this 9.2mile stretch in exactly 3hrs

Im knackered today.

Sounds like a lovely trip, with just a bit of moving water interest to keep you awake!

Did you mean to post it in the OCA section? It might get more views under Blogs or Places.