Thread: Peasemarsh 10 - first build

1. Default Peasemarsh 10 - first build

Hi - I have just built a Peasemarsh 10 from Stanley SmallCraft. As I had never done anything similar and had never used epoxy or fibreglass before, I decided to take their Ďcourseí option and build it in their workshop with Paul supervising me, which was great. It did mean that the build had to be packed into 3 days, which was a bit rushed, but it was great to get it done and not feel it was going to take weeks and weeks. Now it is home and I have to paint and varnish it. But before I can do that I need to make some space in the garage, or else decide to trust that the weather wonít let me down and do it outside!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

looks good. You do need to sort the garage as boat building is addictive!
    Sam

Nice one! Have you decided on a colour yet?

Congratulations on your first build, it looks great.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Nice one! Have you decided on a colour yet?
    Iíve gone for red - a bit of a cliche I know, but that and green are my favourite colours! So I was a bit torn, but went for red.

6. Default Peasemarsh 10 - first build

Quote Originally Posted by MultiMark View Post
    Congratulations on your first build, it looks great.
    Thanks - the weather is being helpful so the first coat of varnish went on the inside today.

7. Default

Any good tips on varnishing a paddle? However I try to prop it up when the varnish is wet, I get a mark where it rests. I suppose I could do one end, let it dry, then do the other but then I would get a sort of tide mark halfway.

8. Default

I have enjoyed the whole build process, but I HATE PAINTING. I am so bad at it. Everything drips. I quite enjoyed putting the varnish on the inside, but with the paint I just want it to be over. And the weather has turned, so I have to do everything in my garage. I don't really care what it looks like so long as it floats and doesn't take in water, but I wish I could make a better job of it.

Hi spinningwoman, get a couple of thin boards, hammer right through some panel pins, then rest the paddle on the points of the pins to dry, you will hardly notice where the pinpoints are when it is dry.
    pm me if you don't understand and I will send a pic through via email.
    As for painting, I use small disposable foam rollers for the gloss, makes it easy.
    Tony
    Last edited by Chestnut Bob; 10th-August-2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Additional

I wipe the varnish on my paddles with a lint free cloth these days. No more brush marks.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

11. Default

I donít know why rollers didnít occur to me. Iíve used them on the disappearingly rare occasions when I have painted a wall. It may be too late for this one but I will remember it for next time. I like the balancing on a pin idea for the paddle. Thanks!

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stinkwheel View Post
    I wipe the varnish on my paddles with a lint free cloth these days. No more brush marks.
    Good idea. I am probably wasting more varnish in the brush than I am using on the paddle.

13. Default

So, painting and varnishing done, though not well! How long should I wait before putting it on the water, given that it will also have to be strapped to a car roof to get it there? Iíve read everything from Ďa month to be on the safe sideí to ĎI painted in the morning and launched on the afternooní.

Curing time for paint depends a lot on the type of paint, how thick each coat was and how long it had to harden between coats. I think used to leave sailing dinghies for a about a week. If it's too soft, the roof rack straps will stick to it or mark it - I would test the hardness (eg, with a fingernail) on the keel (as it will get scratched there anyway, and it has resin underneath).

Another way to support a paddle while varnishing is to screw a small eye (like the ones on the back of picture frames) into the top of the shaft, and hang it vertically from that.

15. Default

The paint is Ronseal weatherproof over their undercoat, two coats of each (and probably too thick, given my lack of painting skills). If itís going to have to wait a week, which is what Iím hearing, it may be taking a longer trip on the car roof as we are having a few days at Lake Bala in Wales. I was hoping to have tried it out before then, as thatís a long way to drive only to find itís got a leak that needs sorting! You may gather that patience is not my strong point.

In that case, I would risk it and have a tryout during the week. Even in the worst case it won't take off so much paint that the boat isn't waterproof. You might need to repaint a few small areas later, but given that you're not taking a perfectionist view of the paint, that won't be a problem.

17. Default

Thanks, Chris. That sounds like a reasonable compromise.

18. Default

This is it lurking!

19. Default

Oh yes, the hatch covers havenít arrived yet. I must remember that!

Quote Originally Posted by Spinningwoman View Post
    I don’t know why rollers didn’t occur to me. I’ve used them on the disappearingly rare occasions when I have painted a wall. It may be too late for this one but I will remember it for next time. I like the balancing on a pin idea for the paddle. Thanks!

Instead of a pin you can buy painter's pyramids. Which you then place the paddle on

21. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Narrowboat Tony View Post
    Instead of a pin you can buy painter's pyramids. Which you then place the paddle on
    I should have guessed there would be a proper thing! Off to google, thanks.

22. Default

Well, it floats! I have officially made a canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinningwoman View Post
    The paint is Ronseal weatherproof over their undercoat, two coats of each (and probably too thick, given my lack of painting skills). If itís going to have to wait a week, which is what Iím hearing, it may be taking a longer trip on the car roof as we are having a few days at Lake Bala in Wales. I was hoping to have tried it out before then, as thatís a long way to drive only to find itís got a leak that needs sorting! You may gather that patience is not my strong point.

Keep a careful eye on that paint, weatherproof and waterproof have slightly different meanings, it may or may not be up to the job.

I can confirm that Ronseal quick drying woodstain (does exactly what it says on the tin apparently, which is something like dries and protects in an hour) is not suitable for use on boats which are immersed for periods of time. I used it on the second kitesurf board I made (I broke the first one the day before and wanted to be out riding again in the afternoon so used thicker ply and the aforementioned quick drying weatherproofing) - it did last a few months, but the water soaked through the weatherproof coating and eventually caused the board to delaminate. The next one I sheathed in fibreglass and epoxy, I won't say I'm still using because it has been some years since I have been kitesurfing, but it has had a lot of use and if I were to go again, it is the board I would use... Like a canoe, a kite board is only in the water when it is actually being ridden, a few hours at a time (it is quite tiring!).

Congratulations on finishing and gettign a test paddle!
    Last edited by JimW; 13th-August-2018 at 02:55 PM.

How hard can it be?