Thread: Dogs - in or out?

Default Dogs - in or out?

So, seeking the collective wisdom of the SOTP crew. When you take your dog(s) on an overnight canoe/camping trip do you let them sleep inside or outside the tent? If outside, how do you restrain them?

Lincoln has his own tent

Should this not be "When you take your dog on an overnight canoe/camping trip does it let you sleep inside or outside the tent?"

ha ha mal is right!
    when i have a tent the dog is inside. especially in the cold and wet season.
    when i use the hammock i tie a leash to a bag. not too long but also not too short, just so that she can roam around under and a bit beyond the tarp and find her own spot. if she does want to go off after something, the bag will slow her down and its rustling noises would wake me. mostly, she just stays on the spleeping spot i create for her - as far as i know at least.

He wouldn't deign to sleep outside - he'd just make a hole and come on in..... Seriously though, I want my Boy right next to me when I'm far out into the backcountry - he is 100 times more alert and aware than I am & I love that his growls wake me up whenever there are 'food-marauders' ('coons, coyotes, whoever) thinking about sampling my food-barrel's contents or when more potentially threatening visitors may be around ( especially in grizzly country) - he gives me invaluable time to grab my shotgun & spray canister way before any potential threat materializes. I can't count the number of times my dogs have been my infallible 'security system' over the last 60 years out there...

Thanks. So the consensus looks like "in". That'll make the dog happy

And, to make it happier, DO NOT forget the dog's mattress and blanket and favourite toy.

Dougal has his own bivvi, he'd rather sleep in it than in the hammock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That first pic of Dougal is brilliant!

that's a good idea... but does he really stay in there?

Quote Originally Posted by lowlander View Post
    that's a good idea... but does he really stay in there?
    Once we set up camp he's in it almost immediately lol, he doesn't wander so I don't even have to attach a lead.
    It's an army surplus bivvi cut down, a wire coat hanger sewn into the opening and a cat bed with a cutting of foil foam mat underneath, super toastie with the heat that he produces, one of the advantages of a small dog .

What breed is he BTW? I just can't quite make him out.

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Lhasa Apso

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Wookie or Ewok, I think

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ck1 View Post
    Once we set up camp he's in it almost immediately lol, he doesn't wander so I don't even have to attach a lead.
    It's an army surplus bivvi cut down, a wire coat hanger sewn into the opening and a cat bed with a cutting of foil foam mat underneath, super toastie with the heat that he produces, one of the advantages of a small dog .

cool. i was thinking about making something similar for winter use, as it warms them from all sides which is good when it's really cold. but lili would probably just wiggle herself out of it during the night. and i'm not sure if i'd want to close it around the neck, then she'd be totally stuck in there which i don't like the thought of... but our pics poked me to give this more thought, again

17. Default

Dog love warmth - Mine stay in the tent with me keeping me warm - I took a friends dog recently and she scratched me to access my sleeping bag, she was clearly feeling the cold. There's an Australian 60's pop band called three dog night, the name pertains to a measure of the temperature used by aborigine i.e. Its cold tonight I'll need three dogs to keep me warm

Three Dog Night are (were) American. But, the Aussie origin of their name is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin1967 View Post
    Dog love warmth - Mine stay in the tent with me keeping me warm - I took a friends dog recently and she scratched me to access my sleeping bag, she was clearly feeling the cold. There's an Australian 60's pop band called three dog night, the name pertains to a measure of the temperature used by aborigine i.e. Its cold tonight I'll need three dogs to keep me warm
    I'm glad you straightened out the meaning of the band's name for me. I might have taken it to mean something entirely different

I find in winter or when its a bit chilly, the question is; "Should you let your dog sleep in the sleeping bag with you?".
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

"Should you let your dog sleep in the
    sleeping bag
    with you?
    Depends on whether they're prone to flatulence or not
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 10th-August-2018 at 08:01 AM.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I was surprised the sleeping bag question hadn't been raised earlier. Ours remain outside the bed/bag sufficiently long for us to fall asleep and then they are sneaky about getting in. Invariably they rather comfortable by the morning...

We do have a tiny pop up tent for the child, which (as most things) would likely work rather well for the dogs too. They can be had cheaply second hand and are really quite good at keeping the heat in.
    I refuse to let the fact that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing hold me back in any aspect of my life.

It’s a hell of a rush when you hear your dog ‘gipping’ at 3am and can’t see a damn thing...torch nowhere to be found, likewise with the tent zipper.
    had many good camping trips with my collie...wouldn’t change her for the world.

BTW, first post on the forum relatively inexperienced canoeist...hoping to get a bit more into it over the next couple of years