Thread: Castle Loch, Lochmaben

Default Castle Loch, Lochmaben

I fancied a change today and couldn't be bothered with traipsing down into the Lake District, traffic gauranteed to be murder. So I pulled up google earth and looked for blue bits in my rough vicinity.

So I landed up at Castle Loch at Lochmaben. It's a relatively small loch and it's quite developed. there is a road running down one side but there is also excellent parking access from the side of the A709 and easy launching. There's a circular walk that goes round it.

Gruelling portage to the launch site (both pictures taken from the same spot).

Off we go. The floaty things are blue barrels used as markers by the yacht club. Not sure I'd want to hit one in a fibreglass dinghy going full-lick.

Handy looking landing site ont he peninsula just opposite the carpark.

Quite a bit of blue-green algae hanging about too.

What's on the peninsula? It's called CASTLE loch for a reason. there seems to be a bit of excavation going on. Plenty of picnic sites with benches in the vicinity too.

Almost mandatory island. However it seems quite an organised one, I suspect it might be a former crannog site.

A whole load of lapwings congregating on the island. not sure what they were after.

The opposite side seems less busy. Plenty of wildlife on the go.

Looking back to where I started. It's not a very big loch.

Lochmaben town is at the North end of the Loch.

There is a carpark in the town which would also be an excellent launching site. In fact, several kayaks popped out of here as I was on my way up.

I did have a bit of an odd effect on this loch. There was a low amplitude, high frequency and very regular surface chop with a low wind gusting up to maybe force 3 at most. When paddling across it, it was making ther hull of my boat (Old Town pack) flex/oilcan quite markedly, quickly and rythmically. Left a feeling like bow was going round in vertical circles and made paddling really hard work, almost like an interference wave going through the hull preventing it from gliding through the water. Odd, because I've taken it out in rough water before with nothing like this much hull flex. It was like it hit the boats resonant frequency.

Anyway. Took about an hour to slowly pootle my way round the Loch. It was interesting enough but I probably wouldn't make a long journey to specifically paddle there. It would be a great place to take beginners for a paddle out with a stop for a leisurely lunch at the castle.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Journal Entries

There is a lot to be said for a paddle on a smaller loch. Though like you say it does not usually justify a long drive.

What’s not to like .... lake, canoe, castle .... never a bad combination
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    What’s not to like .... lake, canoe, castle .... never a bad combination
    OMIGAWD! Hold him down Sir, I'll get the gun............................................... .........................................there are no lakes in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    OMIGAWD! Hold him down Sir, I'll get the gun............................................... .........................................there are no lakes in Scotland
    yeah, yeah, knew I’d be in the merde once I’d typed it, but thought ... never mind then, not the first time.
    I was only trying to be nice about it though.
    MarkL

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    yeah, yeah, knew I’d be in the merde once I’d typed it, but thought ... never mind then, not the first time.
    I was only trying to be nice about it though.
    I think you are allowed to be let off this time but it might not be my call

Looks nice enough to me.

Interesting how we find out different things about wave action so often on a lake or loch paddle.

I think you are allowed to be let off this time but it might not be my call
    good enough for me mate. I could have justifiably said “lac” given my base but .....
    MarkL

Well. Not strictly speaking true either.

There is this one place
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

There's always one.......