Thread: An August August at Anchor : 24th-26th of ... er .. August

Default An August August at Anchor : 24th-26th of ... er .. August

So with a Halloween paddle/camp already on the cards on the Idle, we've been having a think around the Aug Bank hols, initially considering the Lakes, but they are kinda booked. Scotland was suggested, but its a wee long distance for 1-2 day's paddle, so Bren had the cunning idea of a revisit to the Anchor Church caves on the Trent. Think we were last there for Halloween 2016.

We've spoken to the tenant farmer, and have their permission to camp at the caves :-).
    We've spoken to the C&H pub and have ok'd leaving some vehicles there (ideally max of 4)

We'll add a few more details as we think 'em up, but may to be some peeps camping Fri night, more on Sat. Subject to water levels its also possible to put in down river and paddle up stream!.

Practically we're probably looking at capping at around 20 peeps (should there be that much interest).

Facilities are a bit primitive and 'room with a view' based. Kit, (tents/food/sleeping bags etc) have to come down in the boats, so a bit 'wilder' than a car friendly Barrow loop.

Aug 26th is the Sturgeon Moon, for those who are into mooning. (AKA as Snow Moon, Storm Moon, Hunger Moon, Wolf Moon - at least its not Zombie Apocalypse Moon)

You can also use this trip to clock up a few miles for a free BC sticker:

Interested Parties:
    Bren
    Cankay
    Jewels
    Last edited by cankay.org.uk; 4th-August-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Interested Parties:
    mayobren
    Cankay
    Jewels
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I'm a maybe, if other plans don't come to pass.

WHERE'S THE SPAM?

Apologies for the use of capital letters!

Im sure some will want to know to ensure maximum distance from the spam while others will choose to ford onwards into its salty embrace (low sodium varieties also available).

Is a spam challenge on for either Halloween event? I can probably only get to one of them so the opportunity to exercise my spam-a-logical demons is welcomed.

Rob
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Interested Parties:

mayobren
    Cankay
    Jewels
    Jonah aka (Button Moon

aka Button Moon
    Nicely played!

Apologies for the use of capital letters
    SPAM in caps, is indeed the correct way to identify the legendary foodstuff.

I'm happy to cook with and eat the stuff (actually had some last week .... twice), but I know not everyone is a fan. Like Henley, I kinda view SPAMming as a Bonarmbj inspired bit of fun and one would not want to poach SPAM.

Maybe we can think of some form of Moon inspired theme? Mooncakes anyone and lots of cheese?

Oooh, hello, this looks rather interesting!

Have we yet done An African Safari Adventure Paddle ? One that maybe incorporates 'A Serengeti Spam Challenge', the likes of which may have never been seen before?...and hopefully, never again!

If you've got the khaki, we've got caves....it'll work!

Suggest now anyone interested in this trip quickly has a look at the film 'The Ghost and the Darkness' .....not before signing up, but for getting an angle on the dress code that may be required ....if this mission gets the go ahead......
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    Oooh, hello, this looks rather interesting!

Have we yet done An African Safari Adventure Paddle ? One that maybe incorporates 'A Serengeti Spam Challenge', the likes of which may have never been seen before?...and hopefully, never again!

If you've got the khaki, we've got caves....it'll work!

Suggest now anyone interested in this trip quickly has a look at the film 'The Ghost and the Darkness' .....not before signing up, but for getting an angle on the dress code that may be required ....if this mission gets the go ahead......
    Just a thought that's all Jon, as everything back here is just going Afrikaans!

MB

I'll bring the biltong!

Interested Parties:
    mayobren
    Cankay
    Jewels
    Jonah aka (Button Moon)
    Broadsman

I am very interested in this trip, count me in please

Interested Parties:
    mayobren
    Cankay
    Jewels
    Jonah aka (Button Moon)
    Broadsman
    carbon

Just adding Paul to the growing list :-)

Interested Parties:

mayobren
    Cankay
    Jewels
    Jonah aka (Button Moon)
    Broadsman
    Paul Fox
    carbon

Billtong and Mooncake tres international..e. Oooh and I can bring a warming bottle of Grappa...

Confined to barracks for foreseeable! Mrs has fractured a vertibrie, can’t really be away overnight
    have a good weekend

Ouch, really sorry to hear that, pls pass on best wishes for fast and full recovery.
    Last edited by cankay.org.uk; 6th-August-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidfletcher View Post
    Confined to barracks for foreseeable! Mrs has fractured a vertibrie, can’t really be away overnight
    have a good weekend
    Really sorry to hear this David

Mark

MB

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    Just adding Paul to the growing list :-)

Interested Parties:

mayobren
    Cankay
    Jewels
    Jonah aka (Button Moon)
    Broadsman
    Paul Fox
    carbon

Billtong and Mooncake tres international..e. Oooh and I can bring a warming bottle of Grappa...

When you say warming bottle of Grappa...…...does that mean we can burn it?...………….and any spam raising its ugly head...………...I'm still trying to rid my mouth from the apres swim/haunting Spam sarnie Bonarmbj forced on me 3 years ago

Sorry to hear about the good lady David

I'm booked up too so can't make this one - would have loved to give a SPAM cooking demo of my award winning SPAM Shreddies

would have loved to give a SPAM cooking demo of my award winning SPAM Shreddies
    perhaps one for another day?

must have missed the celebrations for this one!...........real shreddies??

Quote Originally Posted by jonah aka View Post

perhaps one for another day?

must have missed the celebrations for this one!...........real shreddies??
    No - spiralised potatoes wrapped around a slice of halloumi and spam then deep fried - looked like a shreddie - a bit...

So the proposed plan, notionally for the majority is to meet at the Crew and Harpur pub (Swarkestone, Derby DE73 7JA) 9:30-10:00am on Sat 25th. Ideally we would then look to leave a couple of cars at the pub - and double up on carrying a couple of boats and share kit around other cars. I'm not suer the pub is open for breakfast, If not I'd suggest maybe a late brekky, early lunch in the Repton tea rooms & I'll need to drop of a bottle of wine to the tennant farmers. Then head to Trent Lane in Newton Soley (52.830103, -1.585800) [small side road opposite the Brickmakers Arms]. Unload and leave cars on Blacksmith Lane. Maybe aiming to be on ther water around 12 midday. So if anyone can't make the 10.00 rendezvous you can always join us here.

Probably looking on packing up Sun, mid day-ish. Paddle to Swarkestone, probably get out on the right just before the bridge. Use the vehicles left at the pub overnight to shuttle drivers back to get their cars. Load up, and optionally grab some grub or a drink in the pub.

This would make it a one nighter, but if anyone wants to stay at the Caves Fri or Sun nights then that option is open, but you would kinda have to make you own shuttle/travel plans.

How does that proposal sound to people?

Was all excited but I've already made plans that weekend. Booo. Will partake in some SPAM as an act of solidarity.

Have fun!
    I refuse to let the fact that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing hold me back in any aspect of my life.

I'm unlikely to make this one, but feel obliged to post a reply as I'm currently sat in Newton Solney, having realised why the name seemed familiar a few hours after I booked the hotel. Fortunately, the OS pay a little more than the Anchor Church rates.

Further news...

The put in at Newton Solney has been mown in a wider swathe than before, and is pretty clear, though I can see the nettles along the bank starting to come back. The water level is low, but you can float, and probably even get a paddle in!!! Shallow bit just downstream might need careful line choice. Level today at Drakelow, for reference, 1.1.

Quote Originally Posted by mayobren View Post
    When you say warming bottle of Grappa...…...does that mean we can burn it?...………….and any spam raising its ugly head...………...I'm still trying to rid my mouth from the apres swim/haunting Spam sarnie Bonarmbj forced on me 3 years ago

Sorry to hear about the good lady David
    Mr. Bren, we have moved on a but since those formative days Sir, and would now dare to say that any possible nighttime intruder would probably now choose to stay after capture!

"It's Spam Jim, but not as we know it!...It's got taste and texture this time Jim!"

"We come in peace, set taste buds to stun!" (With Ictoans award winning Halloumi Spam Shreddies now showing at 5 o'clock) - Outstanding!

All conjured up from that humble tin, with a little imagination... & a lot of effort! - Well done to all!

A few plates de jour... on the evening in question... (Halloween 2017)

As Spam goes, when you're out paddling, could it get any better than this?

Probably could actually, because if you forget your wellies....there's always Jewels Spam Beef Wellington!

My Waterloo!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 8th-August-2018 at 12:50 AM.

MB

Whilst I will conceed the dishes above are visually appealing and a credit to their various creators they are all fundamentally flawed by having spam amongst their ingredients
    However I would attempt the spam wellington because knowing Juliet it would be pickled in Vodka, sautéed in vodka, basted with vodka and topped off with a rich vodka glaze and therefore , whilst not actually enjoying the taste of spam, after a couple of slices I would no longer care

ps I heard Tesco rejected spam in favour of horse meat
    Last edited by mayobren; 8th-August-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mayobren View Post
    Whilst I will conceed the dishes above are visually appealing and a credit to their various creators they are all fundamentally flawed by having spam amongst their ingredients
    That's always been a major concern at all of our Spam Challenges! ! (Though I'm quite happy now to change it to a Horse Meat Challenge if the wish is there - Hell Yeah! )

But, of course that might just upset all the Spam lovers!

MB

p.s.
    Dear Viewer,
    Don't just brush these dishes off... as just simply visually appealing. They were spot-on delicious, and especially so, when devouring them sat next to a campfire on a canoe trip!

MB

Don't just brush these dishes off... as just simply visually appealing. They were spot-on delicious, and especially so, when devouring them sat next to a campfire on a canoe trip!
    I do have to concur - thoroughly enjoyed sampling as many different dishes as I could get my teeth into - amazing some of the creations people have come up! Creative and delicious (ok well maybe apart from the jelly)

Hi john do we need wood for a communal fire, or are they not permitted ?

Hi john do we need wood for a communal fire, or are they not permitted ?
    Hi John,

If you've a bit of space left in your canoe, then yes indeedy wood is most useful - a fire is indeed permitted - tend to have it just outside the cave, as it get a bit smokey with a fire 'indoors'.

Looks like the general plan proposed in post #21 seems ok to everyone - least not really had any alternative suggestions - so subject to dramatic weather concerns, zombie appocalype or asteroid collision, see yus all Sat 25th.

Jon & Jules,
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to get along to this upcoming bash, due to the summer months not being a great time for me, as far as paddling goes, and my boy now getting his A level results this morning....(If ever you've heard a far worse excuse - let me know OK! )

Later today, I'll get back to trucking, as per usual...whilst my boy now prepares for a degree in Economics & Finance at Surrey University! - Hell Yeah!

Stepping out now for some time to let this sink in.....and it may take some time!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 17th-August-2018 at 12:40 AM.

MB

my boy now prepares for a degree in Economics & Finance at Surrey University
    Sounds like great results in the A's then - nice one.

Bugger!

I was just about to put my name down and regale you all with tales of a nautical nature (and show off my tan), but I'm on dogsitting duties that weekend.

It's bloody freezing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Per View Post
    Bugger!

I was just about to put my name down and regale you all with tales of a nautical nature (and show off my tan), but I'm on dogsitting duties that weekend.

It's bloody freezing anyway.
    Probably best now to put yer name down before the press gangs come around!

Bonar AB

Biltong is now hangin’