Thread: Where to buy a power bank for recharging a phone and tablet

Default Where to buy a power bank for recharging a phone and tablet

Hi all,
    I used to get some good stuff off the "Gearbest" website but lately they have stopped posting power banks to the UK. Amazon now don't post power banks to Northern Ireland. Something to do with air freight and explosive materials. I find this strange as I can still buy tablets and laptops whose batteries consist of lithium too.
    Rather than having to go to Currys or the like I'd prefer to buy online. Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Michael

There are just so many of these on the market it is difficult to know which are the best but recently Energizer, the battery company, have produced a 10,000mAh one at a sensible price. I used it on holiday this year and it seemed OK with little to compare it with

Anker have a good reputation and they are available at Amazon

Journal Entries

Agreed, these are commodity items now with little to choose between them as long as you keep away from products which may not have gone through decent quality control and/or product testing and can be had on a well known auction site. I have a couple of Aukey power banks which have served me well for a couple of years.

But I guess your question is where can I buy rather than what. I assume ebay who don't give a crap about anything will ship to NI so you could probably get a branded new model off of there.
    Cheers,

Alan

I have a couple of Anker battery packs which have been absolutely excellent. They were bought off Amazon, but Currys and Argos are listed as retailers, though they don't appear on either website . I'm amazed Amazon won't post them!

Journal Entries

After the Samsung exploding batteries malarky, all L-ion batteries need to be in your carry on for air transport, they are classed as Dangerous Goods and if shipped (rather than carried) need to be declared, labelled etc etc. The manufacturers are usually ok to do this but probably amazon dont want the hassle...
    Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for the replies, I didn't think of eBay, will give it a try.
    I took a chance on an unknown brand "Romoss" from Gearbest a while back and it's been great. It's a brute of a thing but my son says he gets over 3 tablet charges out of it. Any device plugged into it never gets too hot.

I bought a 'Mophie Powerstation XXL' from the Apple store in the Trafford centre a while back. It was quite expensive but I was getting so ****ed off with cheap ones losing their charge over timeor just not really working. This one is excellent. Takes a while for a a full charge but then keeps the charge forever. Has three output ports, 1 X 1 amp and 2 X 2.1 amp. It has a charge indicator and mine is still showing full charge and I haven't actually needed to use it for a few weeks now.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

I bought a DBpower 300A peak, 8000mAh, jump starter/battery booster about three years ago off Amazon (they don't sell the exact model anymore) It was 30.00. I have used it to charge usb stuff while camping, I made a cigarette lighter socket lead for it so I can run other stuff like a mini-compressor, air-pump, shower-pump. I will start my little jeep from dead-flat and my Transit as long as the battery has a tiny bit in it. Been a great bit of kit.

I'm back to say that I purchased one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anker-Pow...YAAOSw-8BbYA-P
    and noticed the last post which looks interesting but the purchase is made and a few usb c devices are in the house.
    No problems with eBay (so far).
    Thanks,
    Michael

What's the difference? Can you point me to what you are suggesting.

I used this over 3 days at Canoefest for three iPhones and an iPad. Still had plenty left and it charges phones faster than any power adapter or laptop!

Sent using Amazon Mobile for iPad

"I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

12. Default

I've had Anker stuff before (cables & battery) and they've always been excellent quality. Under no circumstances buy a cheap battery (cheapo eBay stuff, petrol station/supermarket things, etc) - it'll either be crap, or explode.

You wouldn't buy a knockoff iPhone, why buy a knockoff battery?